Sluggish at hole shot

Engine takes its time to throttle up. Does not do it every time, but even when it seems ok, I think it is still a little sluggish. Runs very well after getting on pad. I don't know the history of the motor as I have had it for 9 Months. It did have a compression check and was serviced when I purchased it. Everything checked out good. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could check out?
    Thanks, Tony
    2008 Ranger Z-21
    2020 Mercury 250 Pro XS, 4 stroke
    Mod.# 12500033A, Ser.#2B697334
    Prop-Fury 3 blade 23 pitch
    Lower Unit, Torquemaster Gen-2
    System Monitor

2. Member
    what is PVS set up on prop , should be one large hole plug in only others open , 24 fury works better for fishn loads
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    what is PVS set up on prop , should be one large hole plug in only others open , 24 fury works better for fishn loads
    I don't see that prop adjustments will make the motor run differently.
    All holes have the plugs bin them. I will try taking a couple out. I'm running a 25 Tempest on my Z-21 currently. Do you have a 24 Fury on a Z-21?
    2008 Ranger Z-21
    System Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by z21tony View Post
    All holes have the plugs bin them. I will try taking a couple out. I'm running a 25 Tempest on my Z-21 currently. Do you have a 24 Fury on a Z-21?
    That's why you are asking the question and Joe is giving you the correct answer. He does see how it will help
    That boat will be a slug out of the hole with 3 plugs in a tempest
    You may also need to adjust the engine height as well
    I would highly recommend a 24 3 blade Fury with no plugs in it for that boat, call me and I will get you in contact with someone that will rework the Fury that will make a new boat out of your rig 916 813 0321
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    PVS plugs are used to control ventilation at holeshot (allowing the engine to spool up in RPM's, clearing the water from the midsection so the engine can BREATHE before the prop "bites").

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Kinda like slipping the clutch

7. Member
    I do npot own a Z but one of my partners does and 24 F was the only prop we could run loaded in the heat stiil run upper 60 low 70, take um all out on FURY
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^^^ +1

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    Joe, I took out two plugs and it did the trick. Sorry for having trouble with your suggestion. I also had a phone conversation with Leon and he explained why taking out plugs makes a difference.
    I will also be looking for a 24 Fury.
    Thank You for all that responded!
    Tony
    2008 Ranger Z-21
    System Monitor

10. Member
    Joe, I took out two plugs and it did the trick. Sorry for having trouble with your suggestion. I also had a phone conversation with Leon and he explained why taking out plugs makes a difference.
    I will also be looking for a 24 Fury.
    Thank You for all that responded!
    Tony

Joe the MAN!