Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any Dobyn's reps on here?

Just curious if there are any Dobyn's reps on this site. I just sent a Champion Extreme that I paid $380 for a warranty repair. They just called and said it wasn't warranty and I had to send them $100 for a replacement. I just spent $25 to send them the rod. The reason I'm asking is the rod was kept in a sleeve and never abused. It broke boat flipping a 2lber about a foot from the tip.

2. Member
    Doesn't sound like a warranty claim to me.

3. Banned
    flipping a bass that's 1ft from tip of rod?????.....

4. Member
    I boat flipped a bass that probably didn't even weigh two pounds and the road broke a foot down from the tip lol. Had plenty of line out.

How many fish had it caught prior to that? If more than a few and if it made it through more than a few outings without breaking, it's almost 100% that the rod was damaged somehow. Maybe it got hit with a flying sinker, or the edge of a rod locker, or stepped on, or something else. Not the same thing as abusing it, to be clear, but sometimes something hits them just right. And the higher end a blank is, usually the easier it is to damage them in way that dooms them. Generally speaking, rods built on blanks with manufacturing defects will break really early on. It's also fairly easy to look at a broken rod and tell whether it broke due to a flaw in the blank or whether it was damaged.

Dobyns is usually pretty great at standing behind their stuff - I don't think they would try to screw you. I'm not doubting you here, just trying to offer some perspective. It doesn't make it suck any less, for sure.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

as stated, yes that can happen with high modulous rods. Usually its a weak spot in the blank where it has hit something or something has hit it just right, and it doesnt take much. Not uncommon and usually not warrantied by most, and to my knowledge Dobyns is factory direct (no reps).Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

7. Member
    [QUOTE=DrewFlu33;10451621]How many fish had it caught prior to that? If more than a few and if it made it through more than a few outings without breaking, it's almost 100% that the rod was damaged somehow. Maybe it got hit with a flying sinker, or the edge of a rod locker, or stepped on, or something else. Not the same thing as abusing it, to be clear, but sometimes something hits them just right. And the higher end a blank is, usually the easier it is to damage them in way that dooms them. Generally speaking, rods built on blanks with manufacturing defects will break really early on. It's also fairly easy to look at a broken rod and tell whether it broke due to a flaw in the blank or whether it was damaged.

THIS IS TRUE. I have about 30 Dobyns rods (all hp series and they are great) It either breaks immedatley which is a manufacturing defect or some time after when I have bruised it some way. They have always treated me fairly and don't try to put it on me, very very fair.

Dobyns is usually pretty great at standing behind their stuff - I don't think they would try to screw you
    not doubting you
    Livin the dream
    2013 Legend 211
    250 Pro Xs

8. Member
    I'm pretty sure boat flipping is the same as high sticking which usually breaks near the tip. That whole 2#s was distributed to that one spot instead of utilizing the backbone. It doesn't take much to break a graphite rod. $125 for a new $350 rod is rather reasonable. Most companies would tell you to pound sand for breaking their rod boat flipping a bass. Lesson learned... dont boat flip with a highly sensitive lightweight rod no matter how small the fish is. I know the youtubers make it look cool but most of them dont pay for rods. You will not find better CS in this industry than Dobyns. I'm sure most will agree to that statement.

9. Member
    Boat flipping a 2# bass with a 5 power Dobyns should be no problem. It was the first trip out with the rod. It just really pisses me off that I just paid $380 for a rod and it broke on the first fish I ever caught with it. I just found it suspicious that they warrantied a Fury series rod a couple years ago and won't warranty the $380 Champion.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HogWild45 View Post
    Boat flipping a 2# bass with a 5 power Dobyns should be no problem. It was the first trip out with the rod. It just really pisses me off that I just paid $380 for a rod and it broke on the first fish I ever caught with it. I just found it suspicious that they warrantied a Fury series rod a couple years ago and won't warranty the $380 Champion.
    That's a dirty situation. Can't believe they wouldn't warranty it. I'd be calling and asking to speak with someone. That's not right.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeltee View Post
    I'm pretty sure boat flipping is the same as high sticking
    Not if you keep your angle correct through the swing.

If it's the first fish you ever caught on it, then that's a different animal. In that case, it certainly does sound like a manufacturing defect. Or, giving Dobyns the benefit of the doubt and assuming nothing really unfortunate happened between you receiving it and catching the first fish, maybe it was damaged in transit? In any case, if you explained to them that this is the first fish you ever caught on it and they're still not covering it that's pretty surprising.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

13. Member
    I've had a few dobyns, the one I broke consistently was a 703C Champion extreme. Broke it setting the hook on a swimjig fish after a few months old, warranty declined. Got a new one and decided the rod just can't handle the stress of braided line so I rigged it up with some mono and a spinnerbait and broke it fighting a 2lb fish to the boat. Sent it in, declined again. Needless to say I shall not ever own another dobyns rod again. If the company at least covered the rods when they broke it would be one thing, but spending a ton of money to send them in and then end up paying for another rod anyway is insane. Shimano express rod service blows theirs out of the water. They send you a replacement with prepaid label, usually in 3-4 days after calling. If its not covered you pay 50% of the rod they sent you, if it is covered you pay nothing. No shipping costs whatsoever. Everyone talks dobyns up and I just don't see it. IMO they have a long way to go in customer service and rod quality to be a major competitor and yet there's a lot of people that love them.

14. Member
    Had the same thing happen to me. I can't back a company that will not back their rods

15. Member
    To be honest im surprised to hear this about dobyns. Granted its been a few years since i used them exclusively, but i had 2 break and both covered under warranty. I had the previous model champ extremes before the latest version came out and i had no issues. Broke one setting the hook on a fish and the other fighting a very small fish. I hated the slower actions on those dx rods and went in a different direction but it certainly wasnt because of their customer service. I still have several of their cranking rods that i love
    They aint got hands, set the hook

16. Member
    Last winter I invested $900 in three rods from Dobyns. I was all in and was hoping to find a great solution to some of my basic needs other than spending money on G loomis. I also paid for two newer St Croix rods as well. The St Croix rods performed great ad that is where I will spending my money moving forward. The Dobyns were just fine but in my opinion when you spend $325 witha dobyns you can get a better rod with St Croix for $215. Oh and to the point of this original post St Croix stands by all of their rods made in America.

17. BBC SPONSOR
    If this is a brand new rod it will be replaced. I don't handle warranties but anything questionable gets run by me. We get all kinds of guys trying to run BS on us. Last week a guy sent in a "BRAND NEW" rod for warranty, the problem is I haven't used that logo since 2010. The rod was old and abused. Just for the record I've never made a rod without a date code. When I told him this his reply was "you can't blame a guy for trying". Also for the record I sent two guys their warranty checks back this past week because I didn't like the looks and location of the break. I could of just processed these checks and said nothing, but we don't do business that way. Also for the record if you scream at or cuss my office gals I can most certainly tell you that your warranty fee will be in place or you'll get the busted rod sent back to you. This also happened twice this past week. Most breaks are high sticks. If you don't know how to properly boat flip bass then you shouldn't do it. I have boat flipped stripers to 20 pounds with Champ 736C and never busted one. Guys that know how to correctly boat flip fish don't break rods. Larry Nixon has been with me for 6 years and he says they're unbreakable because he hasn't busted one. But I assure you they are breakable. Also if I had one wish it would be that every single person had to have a job dealing with general public for one full year. It would open everyone's eyes a lot!! We are more than fair with our warranties. If this is in-fact a new rod, it will be replaced!! If it's not or has wear and tear or it's abused...there will be a warranty fee charged. Since I'm on a rant, has anyone thought about the abuse rods take in rough water? I ran a camera boat for two years for Wild West. I can't even count the times I've seen anglers or their partners step on rods. When a fish was hooked was the worst time. I also can't count the amount of times fish were dropped while still hooked. The angle is straight down and these make me cringe as a rod guy. I have every rod dead lifted twice before leaving the factory. Once at blank completion, and again after assembly right before being bagging in plastic. The lightest weight I use is 2 kilos on 1 power spinning rods. This is 4.4 pounds. Just info.

Hogwild45 if you put your real name here and the rod model and I'll look into this tomorrow morning.

Thanks to all my Dobyns customers on here. I do appreciate you!! THX!!!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dobyns View Post
    If this is a brand new rod it will be replaced. I don't handle warranties but anything questionable gets run by me. We get all kinds of guys trying to run BS on us. Last week a guy sent in a "BRAND NEW" rod for warranty, the problem is I haven't used that logo since 2010. The rod was old and abused. Just for the record I've never made a rod without a date code. When I told him this his reply was "you can't blame a guy for trying". Also for the record I sent two guys their warranty checks back this past week because I didn't like the looks and location of the break. I could of just processed these checks and said nothing, but we don't do business that way. Also for the record if you scream at or cuss my office gals I can most certainly tell you that your warranty fee will be in place or you'll get the busted rod sent back to you. This also happened twice this past week. Most breaks are high sticks. If you don't know how to properly boat flip bass then you shouldn't do it. I have boat flipped stripers to 20 pounds with Champ 736C and never busted one. Guys that know how to correctly boat flip fish don't break rods. Larry Nixon has
    been with me for 6 years and he says they're unbreakable because he hasn't busted one. But I assure you they are breakable. Also if I had one wish it would be that every single person had to have a job dealing with general public for one full year. It would open everyone's eyes a lot!! We are more than fair with our warranties. If this is in-fact a new rod, it will be replaced!! If it's not or has wear and tear or it's abused...there will be a warranty fee charged. Since I'm on a rant, has anyone thought about the abuse rods take in rough water? I ran a camera boat for two years for Wild West. I can't even count the times I've seen anglers or their partners step on rods. When a fish was hooked was the worst time. I also can't count the amount of times fish were dropped while still hooked. The angle is straight down and these make me cringe as a rod guy. I have every rod dead lifted twice before leaving the factory. Once at blank completion, and again after assembly right before being bagging in plastic. The lightest weight I use is 2 kilos on 1 power spinning rods. This is 4.4 pounds. Just info.

Hogwild45 if you put your real name here and the rod model and I'll look into this tomorrow morning.

Well said Gary, especially about your one wish about the general public.

19. Member
    to Mr. Dobyns.

I think it's more than fair to us if we break a rod, that companies will replace for discounted price...same as Loomis Expeditor service.

If someone has a blank or component issue after a few years of use, it's not a warranty issue. I can't believe people actually think it would be.

This thread is the first time i've heard of a Dobyns customer feeling he was unfairly treated. I figured it was BS all along. Keep up the excellent work!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dobyns View Post
    If this is a brand new rod it will be replaced. I don't handle warranties but anything questionable gets run by me. We get all kinds of guys trying to run BS on us. Last week a guy sent in a "BRAND NEW" rod for warranty, the problem is I haven't used that logo since 2010. The rod was old and abused. Just for the record I've never made a rod without a date code. When I told him this his reply was "you can't blame a guy for trying". Also for the record I sent two guys their warranty checks back this past week because I didn't like the looks and location of the break. I could of just processed these checks and said nothing, but we don't do business that way. Also for the record if you scream at or cuss my office gals I can most certainly tell you that your warranty fee will be in place or you'll get the busted rod sent back to you. This also happened twice this past week. Most breaks are high sticks. If you don't know how to properly boat flip bass then you shouldn't do it. I have boat flipped stripers to 20 pounds with Champ 736C and never busted one. Guys that know how to correctly boat flip fish don't break rods. Larry Nixon has been with me for 6 years and he says they're unbreakable because he hasn't busted one. But I assure you they are breakable. Also if I had one wish it would be that every single person had to have a job dealing with general public for one full year. It would open everyone's eyes a lot!! We are more than fair with our warranties. If this is in-fact a new rod, it will be replaced!! If it's not or has wear and tear or it's abused...there will be a warranty fee charged. Since I'm on a rant, has anyone thought about the abuse rods take in rough water? I ran a camera boat for two years for Wild West. I can't even count the times I've seen anglers or their partners step on rods. When a fish was hooked was the worst time. I also can't count the amount of times fish were dropped while still hooked. The angle is straight down and these make me cringe as a rod guy. I have every rod dead lifted twice before leaving the factory. Once at blank completion, and again after assembly right before being bagging in plastic. The lightest weight I use is 2 kilos on 1 power spinning rods. This is 4.4 pounds. Just info.

GREAT REPLY!! That is how you have always treated me.
    Livin the dream
    2013 Legend 211
    250 Pro Xs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast