Banned

Reading spark plug help

Model E225STLEDE

Put brand new Champion QL78Yc, gapped at .030. Ran wide open for about a mile, pulled kill switch, trolled into ramp and loaded with troller. pulled spark plugs. Not too sure what I'm looking at.

All Port plugs looked the same.
    Starboard they all look a little different.

Top Starboard, little oily compared to port side
    middle starboard looks like port side
    bottom starboard, very little oil and the top of the prong has a white crusty substance on it?

What's this telling me?
    Last edited by Bassbuster95; 08-07-2019 at 03:06 PM.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    A picture is worth a thousand words. But I would check head temps on both sides, make sure all of the high speed orifices in the carb bowls are fully seated. The plug with the white may be running lean.

3. Banned

4. Banned
    Pic above starboard left top, right bottom

5. Banned
    port plugs.jpgport side plugs, top on left

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Compression test needed. How did the old plugs look?

7. Member
    Starboard side running way to hot and maybe no fuel to the two bad cylinders. Check for closed thermostat.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Compression test needed. How did the old plugs look?
    TEsted compression yesterday afternoon: 90 to 95 all 6 cylinders. Will check head temps and thermostats today. I will post pics of the old plugs this afternoon.
    Last edited by Bassbuster95; 08-08-2019 at 08:08 AM.

9. Banned
    pulled all high speed orifaces last night, blew out with carb cleaner, reinstalled making sure to fully seat them. lake tested early this morning, no change.

Head temps were 110-115 degrees idling on muffs.
    Pulled the starboard thermostat. No debris. tested with heat gun and it started to open about 90 and fully open at 120 or so.
    Last edited by Bassbuster95; 08-08-2019 at 11:37 AM.

10. Banned
    20190808_111941.jpg
    20190808_111957.jpg

these are old plugs starboard side, left is top. These were new in July, about 10 fishing/tubing trips on them. I pulled them after idling on muffs this morning.
    I don't go wide open much. Usually just cruise around. Obviously while tubing there was a low range RPM.
    Last edited by Bassbuster95; 08-08-2019 at 11:39 AM.

11. Banned
    20190808_112117.jpg
    20190808_112057.jpg

these are old plugs port side, top is left, after idling on muffs this morning.
    Last edited by Bassbuster95; 08-08-2019 at 11:39 AM.

12. Member
    Curious as to why you changed plugs and did the first test?

13. Banned
    I lost 10% wide open throttle from last fall to this spring and can't figure out why.

14. Member
    You still could have a carb problem. The idle circuit may be ok but the intermediate circuit may not be. Even though you cleaned and replaced the high speed jets, you may have a problem with the high speed circuit, the high speeds usually will kick in around 4700 rpm. Those plugs on your higher speed run sure indicate a problem. ChampioNman has a lot of experience with the higher HP motors, he'll be along to help.

15. Banned
    frustrated, I took the gal to the dealer. Compression test shows equal accross all 6 but the leakdown test failed on #5. 15% leakdown is what they tell me. pulled the head and found significant scoring.....

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbuster95 View Post
    frustrated, I took the gal to the dealer. Compression test shows equal accross all 6 but the leakdown test failed on #5. 15% leakdown is what they tell me. pulled the head and found significant scoring.....
    That's what I was afraid of, that plug did not look good. You must have it at a good dealer, he knew to do a leak down test. Sorry to hear this.

Jerry

17. Banned
    There's more to this story......

REcently bought a 200 venom to replace the scored 225 and put my lower on it since I just did seals and waterpump in it. Test drive and still down 8mph....WTF??

WEll, I have been following gofastsandman's thread and there was mention about putting the bearing carrier in upside down. I checked mine, and sure enough, I did it. unreal.
    I pulled it, flipped it around and reinstalled, gained 7mph.

Lesson: a whole lot of heartache this summer chasing my tail on my own mistake. Thank you to the gurus for helping out. I think we all learn from the discussions even its not relevant at the time.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbuster95 View Post
    There's more to this story......

REcently bought a 200 venom to replace the scored 225 and put my lower on it since I just did seals and waterpump in it. Test drive and still down 8mph....WTF??

WEll, I have been following gofastsandman's thread and there was mention about putting the bearing carrier in upside down. I checked mine, and sure enough, I did it. unreal.
    I pulled it, flipped it around and reinstalled, gained 7mph.

Lesson: a whole lot of heartache this summer chasing my tail on my own mistake. Thank you to the gurus for helping out. I think we all learn from the discussions even its not relevant at the time.
    I'm glad you got it fixed, the bearing carrier is the last place you would think to look. There is a lot of years experience found on this forum.

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Amazing what an up side down assembly will do to your performance.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Amazing what an up side down assembly will do to your performance.
    We don't need that anode around here, I always take mine out.