Soft Bait Gluing?

I don't do a lot of gluing; mostly beaver style baits, chunks, some soft swimbaits.
    I wait until I get a large number to repair and getting low on my stock. I've been using the
    Pro's Soft-Bait Glue. Anyone use anything better? And; for those that do repair baits; How do you control
    dispensing the glue? I try placing small amounts on the bait; but this stuff flows quick and over flows.

Mend-It is great for standard soft baits, but won't work on Elaztech if you fish any of those. It has an odor to it that I'm not sure if the fish notice or not, but I do usually save those baits as "fun fishing" baits and save the new ones for tourney days just to avoid having that thought in my mind. The great thing about it is that it has a brush applicator so you can control it really easily. You can also use the brush (and stick the brush is attached to) to force the Mend-It into gaps in the bait so you can basically glue it together from the inside out. I've often put some of the stuff on the brush and shoved the whole brush/stick through the hole where the hook went through. It brings a bait back to almost new condition after drying for a couple minutes. With that last point in mind, I'll usually toss torn up baits into the floor of the boat then go back and repair them at home.

Good old fashioned super glue also works well and will actually harden when you toss it into the water, though it dries to a hard white crusty consistency so isn't the best for "major" repairs and does have the odor we all recognize. I use it for gluing nail weights into Neko baits and have saved a bunch of nail weights that way. For whatever reason that smell doesn't seem to bother the fish in my experience and sometimes almost seems to help, maybe because it actually covers up human scent.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    I tried a toothpick; but didn't do very well. I think I'll find some small glue brushes or paint brushes and try that.
    Thanks

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Everybody keeps telling me that PVC glue you get at hardware store is the same thing as Mend it, sure smells the same.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter64 View Post
    Everybody keeps telling me that PVC glue you get at hardware store is the same thing as Mend it, sure smells the same.
    That would make a lot of sense. PVC glue works basically by melting the pipes together, and that's essentially what Mend-It does to soft plastics.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Unfortunately for me the last bottle of Pro Soft glue doesn't work like it used to years ago when it first came out.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

I wouldn't suggest throwing torn baits on the floor of the boat. If they get into the bilge pump, you could find yourself in a bad bind. Maybe a sammich box or zip bag would be better?

Rodney, were you trying to fix Z-man (or SK) Elaz-Tech baits? I've never used fishing glues, but have used regular gel-type CA from Fred Meyer or Harbor Fright. Buy the little tubes and dispose of them when they're empty or clogged.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

8. Member
    Mend It

9. Member
    Candle
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 08-15-2019 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    I wouldn't suggest throwing torn baits on the floor of the boat. If they get into the bilge pump, you could find yourself in a bad bind. Maybe a sammich box or zip bag would be better?

Rodney, were you trying to fix Z-man (or SK) Elaz-Tech baits? I've never used fishing glues, but have used regular gel-type CA from Fred Meyer or Harbor Fright. Buy the little tubes and dispose of them when they're empty or clogged.
    I've got a brand new drain cover on in the floor of my cockpit for this exact reason...

Mend It won't work (well) on Elaztech, as far as I know it's super glue or bust on those. They take super glue extremely well though, probably better than regular soft plastic.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPOONMINNOW View Post
    Candle
    Tried that and it worked like wonders ....

I had a bottle of mend-it but it dried out quick cuz i left it open. That reminds me that I need to add to my "order list" soon.

12. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    This is all you will ever need!

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post

Was using on senkos and zoom plastics.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

14. Member
    edit
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 09-13-2020 at 07:12 AM.

A small battery operated soldering gun works fantastic. Melts the tore up parts right back together. I bought one at Menards once for $10