Thread: Why is it? LOL

Why is it? LOL

I can cook a full thanksgiving meal with all the trimmings everything hot and ready to eat but i can not for the life of me cook a pot of rice that is right

2. Member
    Proper tools required, you have a rice cooker?

Two words, Uncle Ben's.

Rice cooker! Mine gets used a few times a week. I won’t even try to make it in a regular pot.

6. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    InstaPot will do rice and many other foods in a very short time. Wife cooked a batch of garden green beans in 2 minutes yesterday, and they were perfectly cooked.

Precise measures and time is the key. I prefer brown rice so it takes a little longer than white rice. My wife fixes white rice for the grandkids but she uses the boil in a bag stuff so I never get involved in that.

I use a old Pyrex glass pot so I can see what's happening in there. My formula is the same every time... 1 cup of brown rice, 2 ¼ cups of water, salt optional...combine and bring to a boil. As soon as it starts to boil, I turn it down to a slow simmer and hit the timer for 45 minutes. I also put a folded kitchen towel on the lid with a small egg skillet upside-down on top of that. Leave the lid on for the entire cooking time....worst mistake in rice cooking is opening the lid or even worse stirring it. It will look like it has boiled dry well before cooking time is up but if left alone on low heat it will be perfect every time.

Love brown rice as a side dish with a little butter and soy sauce or just salt & pepper.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Ever tried brown jasmine rice? You can get it at the Asian market off Classen or Winco in the bulk bins for $.88/lb. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    Ever tried brown jasmine rice? You can get it at the Asian market off Classen or Winco in the bulk bins for $.88/lb. Good stuff!
    I've been using some stuff that come in a plastic jug at Crest called Texmati but I just bought some of the same brand called, Jasmati. I'm guessing that's something similar.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

I found it not as hard when I followed the directions on the box , lol