Another fuel / water separator question

Hi,

Brand spankin’ new 115/80 jet tiller serial # 2B720209. While rigging my boat, I noticed I had no fuel / water separator to be found. I’ve read the owner’s manual and can’t find a reference for one, but searching on here I see Don referenced part # 8M0109543 in the past. I called my dealer and they sent me part (kit) # 35-802893A 4. I realize the first is an upgraded alarm model, hence the significant price difference (~$290 vs ~$45). I have a 25 gal underfloor permanent tank. I plan to not use REC gas, but will add the appropriate amount of Quickare/kleen/store at each fill-up. 87 Octane, as I’m in MI and use my boat more in the cold of fall, winter, spring.

My questions are:

1.) Do I even need one?
    2.) Which one do I need, if I do? (I think I need one, but I didn’t design it...)
    3.) Does one or the other allow better fuel flow? I noticed the comments in my manual about adding “filters” to the fuel line...
    4.) Does a Merc tech need to install to keep my warranty intact?

If the non-alarm model works fine, I wouldn’t have any issue changing it with the oil once a year or every 100 hours.

Thanks in advance for your insight and time!

-T

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would still recommend 8M0109543 for your application.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks Don. Will do.