Dual disc brake, one side of rotor disc is shot

I’ve been on the road fishing tourneys for the last few weeks and I just got home. I went to change the brake pads on one side of my trailer and noticed that one of my brake pads wore down completely and ate up the surface of the rotor. Can I remove the worn brake pad and drive without causing further damage?

2. Member
    Without the pads, the caliper piston could travel out against the rotor or blow all the brake fluid out.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LutzWater View Post
    I’ve been on the road fishing tourneys for the last few weeks and I just got home. I went to change the brake pads on one side of my trailer and noticed that one of my brake pads wore down completely and ate up the surface of the rotor. Can I remove the worn brake pad and drive without causing further damage?
    Probably not. Buy a rotor and pads, and check the caliper to ensure the piston is not sticking in the bore. You might be able to find a hole or make one in which you can stick a nut and bolt and keep the master cylinder from compressing by blocking the slide action of the tongue temporarily.

You have a hung up caliper. Fix or replace the caliper. Probably need to replace the rotor as well.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

I'm not even going to try and diagnose this without more info. But I can tell you that I have seen the bonding agent fail and the friction material of the pad get "shucked" off of the metal backing plate. The opposing pad was nearly new in appearance. The guide pins were still lubricated and free, plus the pistons were not stuck. You cannot analyze your brakes until you check the above mentioned workings of the assembly. However, you absolutely need a new rotor/hub and pad or pads. Check your caliper for sure, if it's operating freely, I'd run it and I'm real picky about brakes!