New Ranger with issues when throttling back up

I've got a new 2019 Ranger MS 1880 with an Evinrude Etec 2 200 on it. After throttling down for a boat wake, swell, etc; when throttling back up the outboard runs up to high RPM but does not drive the prop or propel the boat forward instantly. Most times I have to throttle back down to lower the RPM and then ease back into it to get it on plane again. It has happened a few times with just me and a buddy fishing but it's most pronounced with a more loaded boat of 4 or 5 people. Been talking with the dealer about the right prop, etc but it's becoming an issue when I have to hear from my wife about how much we paid for the boat and the damn thing won't run......

2. Banned
    Are you trimming back down before throttling up again?

3. Member
    Sounds like the boat runs fine, you need to trim the motor back down to get the prop to bite. Once you come down in speed the nose drops which puts the prop closer to the surface causing it to cavitate. Sounds like you would benefit from an experienced boat operator to take you out and give you a quick driving lesson. No malice in my reply.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

four or five people, you need a high five for a prop
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    Sounds like the boat runs fine, you need to trim the motor back down to get the prop to bite. Once you come down in speed the nose drops which puts the prop closer to the surface causing it to cavitate. Sounds like you would benefit from an experienced boat operator to take you out and give you a quick driving lesson. No malice in my reply.
    Sounds about right. A 4-blade prop [or 5] would help, but trimming down is cheaper and just as effective, if not more so. Another point is that when you come over a substantial boat wake, even if you are trimmed down you might want to wait until you get in smooth water before you hammer down again. You can still blow out the prop, even trimmed down, if you hammer down while still bouncing from the “after wake.”
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Must be a 3 blade prop.....they tend to lose bite in those situations also in sharp turns if not trimmed down.....I would go to a good 4 blade.....

7. Member
    Might want to put some solid PVS plugs in, unless you know that you'll be running light.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BMG16 View Post
    I've got a new 2019 Ranger MS 1880 with an Evinrude Etec 2 200 on it. After throttling down for a boat wake, swell, etc; when throttling back up the outboard runs up to high RPM but does not drive the prop or propel the boat forward instantly. Most times I have to throttle back down to lower the RPM and then ease back into it to get it on plane again. It has happened a few times with just me and a buddy fishing but it's most pronounced with a more loaded boat of 4 or 5 people. Been talking with the dealer about the right prop, etc but it's becoming an issue when I have to hear from my wife about how much we paid for the boat and the damn thing won't run......
    sounds like prop blow out

9. Banned
    Does prop have interchangeable vent plugs. Mercs have pvs plugs not sure about Rudes

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainslinger1959 View Post
    Does prop have interchangeable vent plugs. Mercs have pvs plugs not sure about Rudes
    Factory prop is a Rebel 3 blade 14 3/4 X 23 with no pvs plugs. Thanks for the feedback. I don't deny that I could use a boating lesson. All of my experience is with a 70 hp motor or less and a smaller boat but have never had this problem. Boat is more of a multi species boat with deeper V and a few extra seats if the family wants to spend a day on the lake. No jack plate either. Dealer is stating that his contacts say a four blade will not help and may make the situation worse......not sure about that......

11. Banned
    4 blade will help it and you might think about not going back to a dealer that says a 4 blade wouldn't handle better then a 3 blade. All you need to do is trim down when go over wakes that are big enough to cause the nose to drop. When the nose drops the prop comes up and gets too much air around it causing it to slip instead of biting the water.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BMG16 View Post
    Factory prop is a Rebel 3 blade 14 3/4 X 23 with no pvs plugs. Thanks for the feedback. I don't deny that I could use a boating lesson. All of my experience is with a 70 hp motor or less and a smaller boat but have never had this problem. Boat is more of a multi species boat with deeper V and a few extra seats if the family wants to spend a day on the lake. No jack plate either. Dealer is stating that his contacts say a four blade will not help and may make the situation worse......not sure about that......
    Are you trimming down?

13. Member
    Sounds like a slipping prop hub, even though it is a new boat. Or perhaps the dealer has the motor mounted too high.