Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just a guess- but did you perhaps make a nice long idle shortly before you decided to go on this "unscheduled disassembly"?

I too think you have disassembled far too many items- hopefully no new problems have been introduced by that.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    No sir,I didn’t. I had just stopped after about a five mile run. It started skipping as soon as I sat down. I didn’t stop too fast and allow water to wash over or up on the engine. But, why do you ask? I’m all ears. I do have the compressor seals coming from your shop. I hope that will cure my water issue. As I mentioned earlier,that skip stops and I can feel the engine kick in as it’s coming up on plane,it’s very noticeable.

Great read!
    sorry for your problems Rip, but I’m learning a lot on this one...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Just a guess- but did you perhaps make a nice long idle shortly before you decided to go on this "unscheduled disassembly"?

I too think you have disassembled far too many items- hopefully no new problems have been introduced by that.
    Don did you see the pict he emailed me in post 13, his description sounds like lot water came out when opened up
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, that picture is specifically what prompted my question regarding a long or extended idle period (especially with engine partially trimmed up).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    Great read!
    sorry for your problems Rip, but I’m learning a lot on this one...
    I appreciate your sympathy. With all the experts on here,I hope we can figure it out.

7. Member
    I got the seals in from European marine on Wednesday and installed yesterday. I ran it on the hose a few minutes and don’t see any water anywhere it shouldn’t be and the idle seems better. Gonna try a lake test tomorrow and see how it goes. Wish me luck.

8. Member
    Also,the slow shipping was not Europeans fault. I sent my home address as “ hwy 581”,which it is but some systems don’t recognize that as a valid address so Lane contacted me to get it straightened out.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

10. Member
    Update y’all. I got the new compressor seals installed and ran it Saturday. It ran a lot better. No leaks anywhere and no water in the rails but the idle speed miss was still there,much less but still there and it still went away with just a little throttle. That got me to thinking reed valves since it still has the original steel reeds. So I brought it home,removed the throttle body and looked at the reeds with a long mirror. One reed had a small corner chip and one reed on the #2 cylinder was broken in half length wise and the broken half was missing. I removed the plenum,adapter plate and the reed blocks and got lucky,the missing piece was laying in the bottom of the adapter plate. I’m thinking this was the miss to start with and the water leak at the compressor was found incidentally. I’m ordering some of Don Weed’s “super high speed racing reeds”,(I’m joking)on Monday and get this thing back together,I’m ready to go fishing.

11. Member
    You will like the TDR reeds Don sells. Even though my original SS were fine, the TDRs produced a much better idle and greatly improved mid-range punch and I never have to worry about a SS reed being ingested in my engine and that point, IMHO, is reason enough to dump the factory SS reeds in any non-ProXS Optimax.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Member
    You’re right,I should have replaced them long a ago but if it ain’t broke? I’m extremely lucky I didn’t pop my optipop over this,it’s a big piece of reed missing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12