Thread: Bunks Z19

Bunks Z19

I just put a deposit down on a 2019 Z19 Pro, the dealer is gonna store it inside for me until my buddy buys my current boat next month.

My question is that I would like to replace the bunk boards with 2x4's covered in gator bak, is there anything special about the bunks that come with the boat, such as a taper cut or rounded edges that I need to duplicate with the new boards?

Anything I need else that I need to know about this boat?
    I'm coming from a 2017 175txw which was my first boat.

2. Member
    Yeah there should be a taper at the stern of the boards. Why don't you just remove the carpet and put the gator baks on top of them? That should be some pretty fresh wood.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

3. Member
    Because I have a feeling the wood used is trash, on my 2017 175txw, the boards were rotted the first year and I live in California so they weren't constantly damp.

4. Member
    Gatorbak told me to use the roundover type on the long inner bunk and the flat style on the shorter outer ones, which is what I got. I haven't installed them as I'm waiting on the treated lumber boards I got for replacements to dry to 17% moisture content, which is also what they recommended.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrac View Post
    Gatorbak told me to use the roundover type on the long inner bunk and the flat style on the shorter outer ones, which is what I got. I haven't installed them as I'm waiting on the treated lumber boards I got for replacements to dry to 17% moisture content, which is also what they recommended.
    And they told you no taper needed on the wood itself?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DTI0384 View Post
    And they told you no taper needed on the wood itself?
    If you mean tapering length wise, no. The rounded Gatorbaks will need a 3/4 inch round over router bit run down the edges so it will match the profile. The shorter boards will need nothing. I have looked closely at my bunks and haven't noticed any length wise tapering if that is what you mean. After they dry to the 17% moisture the gentleman at Gatorbak suggested I paint them with an oil based enamel. I suggest you give Gatorbak a call. They seemed to be pretty up on what I needed.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

7. Member
    The person you talked to likely doesn't know about the taper on Nitro trailers. It sounds like he's telling you what taper you need to install the gatorbaks, themselves, and not to your personal boat (Nitro).
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

8. Member
    Can anyone measure the boat bunks on their Z19. I'm gonna order the gatorback, but I need the length of each bunk.

Thanks

9. Member
    Mine took the 10.5' and 6' lenghts. The actual measurement on the longer board is about 9' so the 10.5 will have to be cut to size. I got the kit which includes the screws and end caps. I ordered direct from Gatorbak. They offer a 10% military veteran discount which I thought was nice.
    Jim