Collapsible nets- what is a good one?

I usually hand land most of my bass (except when caught using treble hooks). I was using a collapsible Frabill net that met my needs, especially its small storage size. I think it was a kayak net.

Well yesterday, I hook this big Musky on a chatterbait in 3' of water in scattered weeds on a chatterbait no less. I estimated the length between 45-47". It was a full grown beast. I have nueropathy in my hands so I ruled out landing that critter by his Gill plate. So I made the mistake of trying to use my Frabill collapsible net. That was a bad decision as the collapsable net quickly became a non repairable net.

I really don't want a large net as I don't want it on the floor or in my center storage compartment. I really liked storing it in the starboard front storage compartment. I have no room for a net behind my console seats.

So with all that in mind, what is a good collapsable net?
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

I really like my stowmaster. Has an extended handle but folds up really small and fits right in side my port rod locker hardly taking up any room. They are a bit pricey but worth it in my opinion. Just google STOWMASTER nets as they have several models to fit your needs.
    2018 Skeeter ZX 250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250
    Minn Kota 112 Ultrex Link
    Lowrance Elite Ti 12 and Elite Ti 9
    Dual PP Pro Series II
    Atlas Hydraulic JP

https://www.academy.com/shop/browse/...s/fishing-nets I've been using this one, the net folds against the handle and the handle extends. I don't know how well it would hold up to a really big fish but it's cheap enough if it breaks, at 19.99

4. Member
    Frabill. Absolutely love mine and it’s had pike up to 20lbs in it no problem.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

Another vote for Stowmaster.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

6. Banned
    If you're going to keep boating big muskies, you will need a one piece net.

My fishing buddy bought a net that folds the handle 180 degrees right at the hoop and slides into the net storage slot under the seat and rear deck of his Phoenix 618. It's a great net, but he can't remember what brand it is or where he got it. It's not a Stowmaster or a Frabill; at least not one I saw on their websites just now.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    If you're going to keep boating big muskies, you will need a one piece net.

I try really really hard to not hook a Muskie. They are one of the reasons I don't throw crankbaits or spinnerbaits much these days. I have lost more of those baits to Muskie bite offs than I care to remember. But I still manage to catch of few each year that I normally land by their Gill plate. But I don't hook many this large. Because of my nueropathy, I didn't trust myself to Gill a 30 pound fish.

So I just need a collapsable net that stores easily. Catching a Muskie that large in 3' of water is fairly rare in August. But Muskie in Chautauqua are plentiful with some over 50". My camp neighbor just caught his 42nd Muskie of the year last weekend. Many Muskie guys at camp (I am the only bass guy at camp, all others target Muskie). Most guys use those Muskie cradles for landing fish. Only one uses a net and you could put a 200# man in that sucker.

Thanks to all who replied and I will research your suggestions.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

This one at TW is either the same or awfully similar to the one my OFB got. https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Prom...ge-PROSLN.html

I have seen a lot of video of guys abusing nets. Once the fish is in the net, PLEASE just lift vertically along the axis of the handle. That puts the handle in tension and not in bending loads. The side benefit (besides not breaking the handle) is that this closes the opening of the net and absolutely keeps the fish from jumping out.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

10. Member
    My fishing partner has one of these. It's a good net...and we've landed many 20-30lb Redfish with it.

https://www.ebay.com/i/303139945461?...SABEgI-hfD_BwE