Bearing maintenance

I finally converted my oil bath hubs to grease. How often should the bearings be repacked?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    When you see signs of water intrusion or you have to disassemble the hubs for other reasons.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    I do it every other year.......just peace of mind!

4. Member
    Properly installed, with the correct seals, I've always gone at least 3 years, unless I had a long tow in the works. Most of my tows are only 50-100 miles round trip.

5. Member
    If you have Bearing Buddies, just check the bearings for wear annually (jack up, grasp tire hi and lo, attempt to "rock" - should be barely any play). Add grease as needed to keep some spring pressure in the hubs. Bearing Buddy recommends inspection <= every 5 years.

6. Member
    I used to look at mine, clean and repack every year. Now I jack up one side at a time and spin the wheel listening ear to frame for any rumbling noises. If I hear anything I disassemble and inspect. If I was going over 200 miles one way I'd check them before I left.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    When you see signs of water intrusion
    That is the reason I held out hope that I could get my oil bath hubs to work. You knew right away if you had water intrusion.

I don't see any way of knowing with the bearing buddies shy of pulling the cap or wheel off and checking. Is there some trick?
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    That is the reason I held out hope that I could get my oil bath hubs to work. You knew right away if you had water intrusion.

I don't see any way of knowing with the bearing buddies shy of pulling the cap or wheel off and checking. Is there some trick?
    You’ll generally see runny grease on the wheels.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

When I get done fishing, the trailer is usually dry. I inspect the inner seals while the boat is not on the trailer. If the inner seal doesn't have grease anywhere and the Trailer Buddy or what ever brand of bearing buddy you installed has the blue indicator sticking out a smidge, you are good to go. No need to keep adding grease. I converted my hubs to grease a couple of years ago and have not added grease since then. I check the hub temps when I get home. Braking hubs are usually 105* and the non-braking hubs are less than 100*.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    If you have Bearing Buddies, just check the bearings for wear annually (jack up, grasp tire hi and lo, attempt to "rock" - should be barely any play). Add grease as needed to keep some spring pressure in the hubs. Bearing Buddy recommends inspection <= every 5 years.
    Exact same for me.

11. Member
    I did mine every other year but our boating season here is rather short so I didn't dump the boat in the water a lot. To me it would depend upon how far you tow, how often and how many times you submerge the trailer in the water. Like others have said check the inner seals for leaking and make sure the bearing buddies blue indicator is sticking out some. That is what keeps pressure in the hub to help keep water out.
    If I used my boat year round and towed a lot I would probably repack yearly. It doesn't take long and doesn't cost a lot either.
    2015 Ranger 1880 VS Angler
    2015 MERCURY 150HP
    (Model #:1150F23HD Serial #:2B135781)