Anna in September.

Hey all,

im trying to plan a trip with the gf somewhere in September and Anna seems like a good place to start looking in to. How is the fishing that time of year? Is there somewhere within a few hours that you’d recommend that would provide better fishing? Would rather go somewhere that has a healthy population of bass so I can get her catching some! Thanks in advance!!

Anna is nice, but I would drive an 1.5 hours to Buggs. Rent a house there or contact BBC’r Flash and stay at his place on the N.C. side.
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

Anna is a beautiful lake to hangout at, but as far as catching fish, especially in September, I wouldn't recommend it.

If you're wanting to go to a lake, I'd recommend Buggs Island as mentioned above. If you're just wanting her to catch some fish, I'd take her to the Potomac or Chickahominy Rivers.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    I love Buggs. Fished there in May. Only issue with that was there won’t be anywhere to take her out to dinner afterwards. That’s her only requirement. I don’t think she like being in the middle of nowhere lol. Fished the Potomac once and had success. Just not too familiar with it yet.

I am sure of dinner options around Anna, unless you go back towards Fredericksburg. Stay towards Henderson, maybe that trailer near Hibernia, and in a few minutes restaurant choices.
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

6. Member
    Anna in September is tough. You're gonna have to work for a few fish.

Restaurant options are abundant on and off the lake. 6 spots accessible by boat (I recommend "The Cove").

7. Member
    The very back of the headwaters can be good in September if you go. Alot will hit it on the weekends but you should have it mostly to yourself during the week. There are several good restaurant/bars on the lake as well as a putt golf course, ice cream shop, etc.

8. Member
    If you are going to Anna i'd recommend booking a place on the hotside....that will ensure some fish catching happens....if not there isn't a worse place possible to take somebody to catch fish than Lake Anna

9. Member
    I’m leaning towards Kerr. But it’s “our” birthday trip so it’s gotta have what she wants as well. As long as I can take the boat I’m a happy camper. Also considering staying down by Raleigh and hitting Jordan/falls/ and or shearon harris

I do Lake Gaston end of September, early October and always seem to find some fish. The spots are easy to catch on the main lake points. Plenty of houses to rent and you basically have the lake to yourself during the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenskeeter View Post
    I’m leaning towards Kerr. But it’s “our” birthday trip so it’s gotta have what she wants as well. As long as I can take the boat I’m a happy camper. Also considering staying down by Raleigh and hitting Jordan/falls/ and or shearon harris
    If you're willing to drive that far from PA then do yourself a favor and stay away from Anna.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    If you're willing to drive that far from PA then do yourself a favor and stay away from Anna.

Haha will do! Never fished it before and I figured it would be “pretty”. Gonna venture down south a bit more then. Thanks!

Haha will do! Never fished it before and I figured it would be “pretty”. Gonna venture down south a bit more then. Thanks!
    Everywhere sucks in September, but Smith Mountain Lake has been fishing very good this year, even deep into the summer so that's an option as well. It's also the prettiest lake out of them all and has plenty of options on the water for dinner, lunch, etc.

I'd recommend staying at Mariner's Landing in Craddock Creek.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

14. Member
    heading south in september is the problem. the further north you head the better the fishing. virginia takes until oct/nov for a true fall bite.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassKat1 View Post
    I am sure of dinner options around Anna, unless you go back towards Fredericksburg. Stay towards Henderson, maybe that trailer near Hibernia, and in a few minutes restaurant choices.
    The Cove is also my favorite. Anna Cabana used to be good but I haven't been there in a while. Tim's is okay but the Cove is far better. You also have a few options around the New Bridge. I personally like Asian Cafe and the Italian joint is not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ththomp2 View Post
    heading south in september is the problem. the further north you head the better the fishing. virginia takes until oct/nov for a true fall bite.
    Very true. I'll even venture as far as to say that the fall bite doesn't turn on until early November on some lakes. Or maybe I just suck all together?
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

17. Member
    We’re going to end up doing smith mountain. Got an Airbnb at a condo by a marina so we can leave the boat in water all week. Hopefully we can catch em! Thanks all

We’re going to end up doing smith mountain. Got an Airbnb at a condo by a marina so we can leave the boat in water all week. Hopefully we can catch em! Thanks all
    Not a bad move at all. And DEFINITELY better than Lake Anna!
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO