Certified Mercury Mechanic

Anybody know if the service on a new Mercury has to be done by a certified Mercury mechanic? If so, who do y'all recommend in the Benson/Raleigh area? I have the new Pro XS 4 stroke coming up on 20 hours.

I'd recommend Collin's Inc in Smithfield. They are certified and that's where I had my 20 hour service done.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDE2FAR View Post
    I'd recommend Collin's Inc in Smithfield. They are certified and that's where I had my 20 hour service done.
    They may not do it for a generic service, but for real work they send all their stuff to Outback Marine. He handled a very minor issue on my Optimax quickly and effectively.

Pit Stop is near you. They worked on a motor for me once and didn't solve the issue. BUT, they owned up to it and didn't charge me for all the labor they had in it chasing and recommended I got to Angler's Choice in VA who did a great job. So, I would trust them for a service.

And there is R&K in Knightdale I think.

I'd also be comfortable taking it to Bass Pro in Cary. Yeah, I know everyone hates Bass Pro but Brian has helped me out and the guy at Outback had good things to say about him as well. Only problems is they do tend to be high.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    R&K in Knightdale #1...SB...
    2006 Ranger 188 VX with 150 E TEC and I EAT BASS!!!

Outback Marine , Talk to Randy, 252-422-5042 , did great work on my 250PRO XS

It's a little bit of a drive....but Brad Ayers at Rockoutdoors is an unbelievable Merc tech.

7. Banned
    Pit stop marine is a great place. Jr knows his stuff and is a great guy.

Get some good references. I took my boat to TWO certified mechanics and ended up fixing myself. Certified doesn't mean sh*t to me anymore.
    Discipline is the key, if you can't hack it, pack it!

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggin2 View Post
    R&K in Knightdale #1...SB...
    Neal at R&K is sharp.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basswipe View Post
    Get some good references. I took my boat to TWO certified mechanics and ended up fixing myself. Certified doesn't mean sh*t to me anymore.
    Doesn't mean much to me either, but wasn't sure if it had to be done by certified folks because it being under warranty. Assuming a 20 hr service is just oil, filter and lower unit oil, I would rather do it myself.

Thanks everyone for the referrals.