evinrude h.o 150 water pressure gauge not working

I have a 2009 evinrude h.o 150 Mod. no. E150DHLSEA SER. 05258659 on a 2010 ranger 188vx and I am having a problem with the water pressure gauge. The gauge has not worked sense I bought the boat, the gauge has two wires wires running to it and a black tube that I am assuming water runs to. my question is how should I go about troubleshooting it? should I start at the engine testing the voltage or start at the gauge cluster?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I'd attach cooling muffs and remove the black hose from the back of the gauge. Turn on the water and start the motor see if water comes out of the hose. The wires are for back lighting the gauge. If you have air then take the hose off at the motor and shoot some air down the hose and see if the gauge moves.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    I'd attach cooling muffs and remove the black hose from the back of the gauge. Turn on the water and start the motor see if water comes out of the hose. The wires are for back lighting the gauge. If you have air then take the hose off at the motor and shoot some air down the hose and see if the gauge moves.
    Be very careful blowing air into the gauge, you can overload it very easily. Is the boat from a cold weather area? If it has frozen, probably not repairable.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by donpilot View Post
    Be very careful blowing air into the gauge, you can overload it very easily. Is the boat from a cold weather area? If it has frozen, probably not repairable.
    I took the hose off the gauge and hooked it up to water, it has fine water pressure flowing to the engine and also to the gauge...the gauge itself is broken so I might just replace the impeller in the lower unit so I don't have to worry about the gauge right away.

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mattranger10 View Post
    I took the hose off the gauge and hooked it up to water, it has fine water pressure flowing to the engine and also to the gauge...the gauge itself is broken so I might just replace the impeller in the lower unit so I don't have to worry about the gauge right away.
    Do the whole water pump kit/seals/gaskets/housing,,ect. Just dont do the impeller

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!