Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

20 TRX Pump out issues

Hello all, I just recently purchased a new 2019 20Trx Patriot and cant seem to figure out the livewell pump outs. I can have the wells full, turn on each pump out and hear the pumps running but nothing will pump out. I can however have the big motor running and they will pump out fine. Is this a normal thing? seems silly that they will only pump water out when the engine is running which does no good when you are in the parking lot and need to fill your bag with water.

Thoughts?

BTW, I absolutely love the new ride.
    Last edited by Nitro88; 08-06-2019 at 12:16 PM.
    2019 Triton 20 TRX Patriot, Merc 250 4 stroke

2. Member
    Mine kinda did the same thing when it was brand new. The pump was installed incorrectly. The pump was rotated so the discharge hose was under the pump. It needs to be on top of the pump. It’s typically an easy fix just to loosen the pump and rotate it 180°. Mine wasn’t that easy. There was ZERO slack in the hose so I couldn’t rotate it 180°. I had to cut the hose and splice in a short piece just so I could rotate the pump. Once I got it rotated, the pump worked perfectly.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

Mine does the same thing but I haven’t tried it with the outboard running. Have dug into it yet to figure it out.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    It's under warranty let the dealer rotate the pumps. All the new pumps are suspose to be anti-syphon and prime themselves. The pumps do need to be rotated.

5. Member
    Thanks Guys, i called the dealer *4 hours away* and will have it completed by them, Just makes no sense to my why the big motor would have to be running for it to work correctly. There should be no hoses connected to it that would make any difference.

6. Member
    Same year and model, mine did the same thing. Had to take it back to the dealer three times before they got it right.

7. Member
    Well I was on the water again this weekend and now it wont pump out no matter what i do... Just pulled the drains and took off.. :)

Did you have your dealer look at it? If so, I would remove whatever you had to access the bilge area and check out the pumps and hoses. Make it work now and you won't hate it every time you want to empty the live wells.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Did you have your dealer look at it? If so, I would remove whatever you had to access the bilge area and check out the pumps and hoses. Make it work now and you won't hate it every time you want to empty the live wells.
    I haven't had a chance to make the 4 hour drive, going to wait until the other parts come in when i purchased the boat and have it all done at the same time. Just way too weird and i would think they would check all that at the factory.

10. Member
    Try to force water through the pumpout with a garden hose while the livewell is full first. Just place the nozzle end at the pumpout valve and make sure the water is running full pressure into the pumpout valve. I had this issue with my 2019 on one side and did this once and it has worked perfect ever since.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foolinbass View Post
    Try to force water through the pumpout with a garden hose while the livewell is full first. Just place the nozzle end at the pumpout valve and make sure the water is running full pressure into the pumpout valve. I had this issue with my 2019 on one side and did this once and it has worked perfect ever since.
    Thanks, I will try this tonight, Just makes no since that the Motor would need to be running, only thing i could think of was the water being forced in while i was running. Now that you mentioned this I will give it a shot. (especially since the second trip out and I tried the pumps again nothing would work).

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro88 View Post
    Thanks, I will try this tonight, Just makes no since that the Motor would need to be running, only thing i could think of was the water being forced in while i was running. Now that you mentioned this I will give it a shot. (especially since the second trip out and I tried the pumps again nothing would work).
    Ok so i did what you suggested, fixed the starboard side, Port side worked the first time without having to use the hose. I filled both wells and hit the pumps again. Port side didn't work..grrrrr.
    Starboard worked fine, went ahead and ran the hose on both, Port started working again. Now... who in the hell carries a water hose and a pump with them to the lake :) ? this is not going to work..

13. Member
    I know jjtriton mentioned the new pumps are supposed to be anti-siphon and self priming, but just in case they are not, have you looked to see if the discharge hose is on top instead of on bottom like I mentioned before. Yours is doing exactly what mine did when my boat was brand new and it was due to the position of the discharge hose. It sounds like they are suffering from air-lock. Once I rotated my discharge hose, I have never had a problem again. If I remember correctly, only one of my pumps was installed wrong and had to be rotated. Good Luck
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    I know jjtriton mentioned the new pumps are supposed to be anti-siphon and self priming, but just in case they are not, have you looked to see if the discharge hose is on top instead of on bottom like I mentioned before. Yours is doing exactly what mine did when my boat was brand new and it was due to the position of the discharge hose. It sounds like they are suffering from air-lock. Once I rotated my discharge hose, I have never had a problem again. If I remember correctly, only one of my pumps was installed wrong and had to be rotated. Good Luck
    Mike, much appreciate the reminder, i am used to doing all the work myself so that I know how its done and being able to fix anywhere. However its been so hot here in Indiana i dont feel like removing the Charger, PP Pumps, etc to get to it. I am headed back to TN in 2 weeks for a replacement seat and pick up a few items i ordered when I got the boat and they are going to take care of it for me. Best way to make sure i get some time away and some On the Water time :)

15. Member
    You’re not kidding about the heat. We have friends that live in Fishers & they keep telling us how hot it is up there. We tell them just come down to the Houston area & you will see what hot is. I’m like you, I try to do everything I can myself. My dealer is 3 hours away and didn’t want to take it to them for that. You are ABSOLUTELY right about removing everything. It was a pain in the rear. It probably would have been faster to take it to them. Seems like I could have driven to the dealer in the amount of time it took to remove everything but I wasn’t in a huge hurry. Hopefully they will get it all figured out. I know it’s frustrating to spend all that money and have these little things go wrong but luckily I haven’t had any other issues. Good Luck
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

16. Member
    Well the 4 hour drive went well, they fixed 1 pump (starboard) but the port side still doesn't pump out. They had it working 5 times they said in the parking lot at the service center. I went on the water and it didn't work once, i don't plan to drive back again for a pump issue and maybe when i am in the area again so it looks like i will be crawling in my hatch this weekend.... Grrrrrrr

Well, both of mine decided to start working today. Had the wells full with both the pump and recirc running. They both started pumping. I guess they needed to prime.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

18. Banned
    Picked up my new 20 model yesterday and water test it and no issues with pumps, guess I’m lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by TritonMan250 View Post
    Picked up my new 20 model yesterday and water test it and no issues with pumps, guess I’m lucky.
    No, you’re probably typical and those of with an issue are the outliers.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    No, you’re probably typical and those of with an issue are the outliers.
    I felt lucky mine is of decent quality for the most part but I have a few minor issues I don’t particularly like. The center console lid drags against the side of the seats and I’m not meaning slightly. My friend and I ordered the same exact boat at the same time except his rig is white. There are several places where the color is messed up and he literally has a 3/4 inch hump in the deck behind the passenger seat about the size of a basketball. The inside gel coat feels like fine grit sandpaper if you run your hand across it and mine is the same way in places. I have a feeling his will be goiter back to the factory soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast