Banned

Trailer Lighting Issue

Good morning,

My lights on my trailer are giving me a headache. The brake lights are always on. When I change the bulbs out they seem to work fine but once I put it in the water for the first time the brake lights stay on.

Any ideas?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Pretty well has to be a truck problem. All the power comes from the truck, and unless the brake pedal is pushed or a turn signal is on there is no power on that circuit.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Banned
    Thats strange cause multiple vehicles that hook up to that trailer have the same issue.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ReefOctopus View Post
    Thats strange cause multiple vehicles that hook up to that trailer have the same issue.
    There is no source of power on the trailer. The only way the brake lights can be on is if the truck is providing 12V to both the yellow and green wires which are completely separate on the trailer. Your trailer could be badly mis-wired with the charging wire from the 7-pin going to both wires, but that would be a trillion to one chance. Do the running lights and tail lights work normally?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Banned
    No lights will work if I don't have the truck lights on./

6. Member
    On my Dodge when I backed it in the water the brake pedal would ‘lightly stick’. Just put a foot under it and pull it out fixed the problem. Drove me bonkers for a while when someone would park my truck and I would see the brake lights on from the dock.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

7. Member
    The brake lights usually draw more current than any other circuit on the trailer if they are incandescent bulbs. Since you change bulbs they must be incandescent,not be LED's. To get both brake lights to illuminate you must have 12 volts on both the Yellow and Green wire at the same time. These wires are not connected to each other. Somebody must have mis-wired your trailer.

8. Member
    Oh yeah, ditch the bulbs, any water leaks will blow the bulbs. Bulbs are so 1999, get some LED's. Now, if you are replacing 1157 bulbs with a single filament bulb it can short out the socket terminals. If so all bets are off and it could conceivably cause the issue you have.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 08-08-2019 at 07:07 AM.

9. Member
    Get yourself a test light and check the truck plug to make sure there is no power to any of the pins when the truck is in park and lights off. I have one like this and I use it all the time when troubleshooting trailer light issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Ci...a-800962417663
    2015 Ranger 1880 VS Angler
    2015 MERCURY 150HP
    (Model #:1150F23HD Serial #:2B135781)