Thread: 5th Wheel Hitch

5th Wheel Hitch

For those of you that have a 5th wheel Hitch for your Campers:

1) Do you like it?

2) Would you do it again?

3) What Brand do you have or like?

4) What Brand do you NOT Like?

5) Pros and Cons?

I have a F-150 and am looking for a good used Camper. What we are seeing is that there are Several Campers that are low in price but are 5th wheel style. Lower in Price compared to a similar Bumper Pulled Camper.

How do they mount and are they removable if you don't want them in year round?

Any Thing else you think we might meed to know.

2. Member
    B&W rollover ball with a Companion 5th wheel plate. Then you can pull a 5th wheel or a goose neck. The Companion comes off/installs in about 5 minutes, you can also turn the ball upside down and have a smooth bed.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

3. Member
    With a F150, you don't have a lot of payload. My son pulls a small fifth wheel with a F150 and is legal. Your best bet, imo, is to install a gooseneck ball in your bed. You can then use a lightweight Andersen hitch or a Reese Goosebox or a Cody Coupler type. A conventional fifth wheel hitch is gonna weigh north of 100 lbs more than the Andersen, which takes away from that payload and is a pain to remove. My son used the Cody Coupler on his RV, but it is older and out of warranty.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

4. Member
    I concur the B&W ones are totally versatile and awesome.

5. Banned
    AirSafe 25k hard to find a better one.You get a nice ride like to watch it work.The bad part is they are heavy and pricey.

6. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    With a F150, you don't have a lot of payload. My son pulls a small fifth wheel with a F150 and is legal. Your best bet, imo, is to install a gooseneck ball in your bed. You can then use a lightweight Andersen hitch or a Reese Goosebox or a Cody Coupler type. A conventional fifth wheel hitch is gonna weigh north of 100 lbs more than the Andersen, which takes away from that payload and is a pain to remove.
    This.....

I have a Reese 5th wheel hitch in an F350 SRW with the 5th wheel prep package. It's easy to remove but it's 150'ish lbs and requires two people to get it out of the truck. I don't take it out because it softens the ride of the truck a little bit. If I need the space in the bed to carry 4x8 sheets, I remove the hitch and just slide it forward in the bed up against the cap. If I didn't have the payload available, I'd be going with the Reese Goosebox.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

7. Member
    B&W patriot in my f-250 you can remove the head so not to heavy to remove from bed.
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

8. Member
    B&W and take it out when you don’t need it.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    With a F150, you don't have a lot of payload. My son pulls a small fifth wheel with a F150 and is legal. Your best bet, imo, is to install a gooseneck ball in your bed. You can then use a lightweight Andersen hitch or a Reese Goosebox or a Cody Coupler type. A conventional fifth wheel hitch is gonna weigh north of 100 lbs more than the Andersen, which takes away from that payload and is a pain to remove. My son used the Cody Coupler on his RV, but it is older and out of warranty.
    Some F-150's have more payload than a 3/4 ton diesel.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Some F-150's have more payload than a 3/4 ton diesel.
    True, but neither has a lot of wiggle room with a 5th wheel.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

11. Member
    I just put an Anderson Ultimate in my 3/4 Ram diesel. I haven't used it much but so far its been really nice! And very light.
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

12. Member
    Thanks for the Info guys.

13. Member
    Anderson ultimate hitch. Weighs 35 pounds and can be removed in about 5 minutes. Mine is the goose neck style.

14. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    I have the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. (I also bought the shaft and safety chains) It's what I use with my RAM3500 and 13k lb trailer. Love it.

My old back breaking Curt 5th wheel hitch and bed adapter is sitting on the side walk, rusting. Need to sell it. I had to leave the hitch in my truck from April to October because it was too heavy to move by myself and too unwieldy even for two people to move. With the Anderson hitch, I can take it out at the campground if I want to. I love a bed with nothing in it!!

You can use the Anderson Ultimate with an F150.

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

15. Member
    Anderson ultimate... and Anderson hitch for towing my boat only the best....
    SEAGUAR

16. Member
    If u have a 6ft. 8 inch bed do u need a slider hitch or not.