Thread: Prop Help

Prop Help

As a general rule if you run a 25 Pitch Mercury Fury, what Suzuki prop would be comparable? Where’s the best place to buy Suzuki props? I use to run a Yamaha 25 pitch prop that preformed better than any other prop. Someone said that with Suzuki you would run a bigger wheel. Like if you ran a 24 laser ll would run a 26 Suzuki. Is that the correct? Thanks for any help you can give!!

2. Member
    What type of boat and I would say that you are correct with going 2 pitches up. If you run a 25P, I would definitely run a 27P prop at a minimum. If you are looking to purchase Suzuki props, there are a few places online that are cheaper than buying from a dealer and there's a guy on FB (boat props for sale or trade forum) who was selling a bunch of Suzuki props as well since he was always buying props to find one that he liked most. Another option is looking at getting a Turbo OT4 prop as well. It has a smaller barrel, but taller rakes and actually runs pretty good on Suzuki's. Even though it looks funny and would think that you would need a blow out/cavitation ring, but you don't from my experience.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    Thanks for the info. I’ll check and see what’s available.

4. Member
    Here are a few websites that I found that sells Suzuki props for the 250SS:

http://hustlersport.com/products/suz...0-30p-145-x-30

https://www.internationalmarineservi...ory-s/2148.htm
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

5. Member
    Did you say you have a 250 SS?

6. Member
    No, I have a 175 on 19 foot ranger. It has a 28 precision 3 blade. It will turn 6100 rpms Maybe a little more has a terrible hole shot. Turns the ramps just not going very fast. It also has 6 inch jack plate. I’m at a dead end now. Any suggestions??

7. Member
    Suzuki generally run a larger diameter prop, if you are running same dia as you were with the Merc then it wont work.

8. Member
    I know but I’m running a 28 pitch now. From what I read and hear a lot of the guys are running 4 blade props on Suzuki. I would like to try something different but it’s hard to do with this motor. I know no one that’s runs this motor and I can’t afford to buy 600 dollars prop just to try. Thanks for trying to though.

9. Member
    I have a DF200A which is basically the same as your 175, on a Polar Kraft TX195 which is an aluminum mod v bass boat and it came with a 3 blade14 1/2 25 pitch prop. I found a chart on the Suzuki web site that lists several different 3/4 blade props that you might want to check out. I am looking to get a 4 blade to pull my kids on a tube with and just to have something for a little better shallow water takeoff.

10. Member
    I have a Bluewave Purebay 2000 which in 9'8" with a 175 Suzuki. Running a Suzuki prop 3 x 16 x 23. Performs pretty well all around.

11. Member
    Thanks for the info I’ll try to figure something out?

12. Member
    I was referring to prop DIAMETER, not to pitch.

What diameter is your current prop?

Anyway here is a link to Suzuki USA website where they tested a Ranger 185VS with prop and performance details

http://www.suzukimarine.com/Product%...0185VS%20DF175

And a link to their page where a large number of other boats were tested with the DF175A, should be something similar to your boat there so you can get ideas as to what props are likely to be suitable:

http://www.suzukimarine.com/Product%...12/DF175A.aspx

13. Member
    Thanks Moonlighter

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsh Skeeter View Post
    I have a Bluewave Purebay 2000 which in 9'8" with a 175 Suzuki. Running a Suzuki prop 3 x 16 x 23. Performs pretty well all around.
    I'm sure that boat length is a misprint, or it is one fast-ass dinghy. I'm also running the same diameter SS Suziki prop on my 175, either a 23.5 pitch or a 24.5 pitch, it was cheap, I found a killer deal where I bought about 5 of them for less than $100 each delivered.
    My motor doesn't achieve wide open throttle plate right now, my loaded livewells and full fuel and two fat people on a 19'6" Stratos, hole shot is very slow but it gets to redline in cold weather.
    FOR THE MONEY I'll run these props.
    I have a 4 blade 28 pitch 14 inch diameter prop that I need a blowout ring on to use, someday I'll find one.

15. Member
    Ok, had my prop checked out and it’s not a 14 1/4 x 28. It is a 14 x 25 not sure why it is engraved that way. Anyway I’m going to try and find a 27 three blade. Appreciate all your comments and I’ll update once I find a prop. Thanks

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jjigmaster View Post
    Ok, had my prop checked out and it’s not a 14 1/4 x 28. It is a 14 x 25 not sure why it is engraved that way. Anyway I’m going to try and find a 27 three blade. Appreciate all your comments and I’ll update once I find a prop. Thanks
    Just remember the diameter is also a critical dimension. Many people just concern themselves with pitch, but if one has a 25 pitch on a 14 inch diameter prop and then goes to a 16 inch prop, same 25 inch pitch it pushes a hell of a lot more water and requires a lot more horsepower.

Here's my opinion. A 14 x 25 x 3 blade is not enough prop on a DT175 but should have a good hole shot, just run out of bite on top end and hit the 6100 red line too soon. Replacing it with a 14 x 27 x 3 blade will be slower still out-of-the-hole but have a better top end.

If the prop has a lot of cup it will be slower out of the hole. I think if it was me I'd investigate getting holes cut in the prop bore to let some extra exhaust gas flow over the blades to improve the hole shot. Might work, might not.

I think you need at least 25 more horsepower to make that Ranger into a high performance machine.