Moving control on stick steer Terry bass boat

I have a '72 Terry bass boat and I would like to move the controls further back so I can build a casting deck, and hopefully change the stick steer to a newer console style with a wheel (which I'll either buy or build myself). The stick pushes and pulls a really thick, braided steel cable. I assume that I would need to shorten this and reattach it where it's mounted to the transom just ahead of the motor, correct? Same for the throttle controls? I think I should be able to find a wheel that will mount up to the stick steer box easily enough (I hope). Is there anything in particular I should watch out for? Anything I should consider doing while I'm at it?

Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    I did that once. It was the quickest steering boat Ive ever driven!! Not even one turn lock to lock. I made up some redneck attachment to the original steering box instead of an actual geared cable helm unit.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92basshawk View Post
    I did that once. It was the quickest steering boat Ive ever driven!! Not even one turn lock to lock. I made up some redneck attachment to the original steering box instead of an actual geared cable helm unit.
    I didn't even think of how fast the steering would be! Do you think I'd be better off with a geared cable unit instead? It isn't exactly going to be going speeds that will put it on the edge of control, the motor is a '73 Johnson 2 stroke after all...