Triton Unsulated coolers.

I wasn't going to post this until after the project was complete and the results were in but now that its done I'm happy to report that it was a success. Measure the inside dimensions of the cooler then cut Styrofoam to fit the inside walls, I used (1/2" and e6000 glue that I found at Lowes) and after I was able to keep ice for well over 30 hours and only lost 1" inside volume and was able to keep 8 of the larger size gator aide bottles ice cold even into the next day. the hardest part was cleaning up the crumbs of Styrofoam.

2. Member
    I was considering the same in my TR20, but haven’t decided if I was use styrofoam or something else, maybe a closed cell foam!
    ’13 21 HP, 250 ProXS, 10” Atlas, twin Power Poles, 25p Croxtonized Tempest, 2 1/2 PTP, 1/2 tank fuel, driver, all gear, empty wells, 74.7 in 102 deg heat.

3. Member
    Bentrod202,

Share some pictures!
    2005 Triton TR20X-Mercury Pro XS 4.6L V-8 250 HP Serial # 3B378953
    2016 Harris Cruiser 24-2016 Mercury150XL-Serial # 2B232319

4. Member
    I wonder if you pre-painted the styrofoam you'd cut down on the mess.

5. Member
    I can text or email pictures if anyone wants them. I don't know how to post them on this site.

Been kicking that idea around for a long time now. Just haven't found an insulation with out the mess. I saw some foil backed insulation that I may try. Just haven't gotten around to it !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Member
    What did you guys come up with?

8. Member
    Is there a way to pull the cooler out, and spray foam the outside of it? Just an idea...

9. Member
    You can spray the foam with plasti dip. Put about three or four coats and seals up pretty good. No more styrofoam crumbs.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plasti-Di...iABEgI5XfD_BwE

I did this on another boat the only issue is that by the end of the summer it had mildew on the insulation due to the heat and humidity here in Texas. Good luck with your experiment.
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

I added a sheet of half inch foam under my lid and it greatly enhanced holding ice. I found having 1 frozen bottle of water along with ice also helped
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

I have been thinking of changing my lid insulation, what I am thinking is cut styrofoam to about the right size and vacuum pack it like one would do with deer steaks or bird breast, the vacuum bags are thick and durable as well as water tight and hold the foam together. just start with a dense foam.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

13. Member
    I put a piece of the compartment gasket, the same gasket used on the rod box and other compartments on the boat. Seems to help. A little tougher to close the lid though.

My wife subscribed to that Blue Apron deal where they send you the food for you to cook dinner. The box was lined with a bag that looked like shiny bubble wrap. I just put the bag in the ice chest on my Nitro and roll the top of the bag down to keep the cold in. It will keep the ice two or three times longer and takes up almost no room at all. Punched a small hole in the bottom to let the water drain.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

15. Member
    In my boat I used Neoprene Foam Sheets. I used 1/2" or 3/4" I think. I glued a piece in the lid. Cut a long piece to wrap around the sides. It fits in snug and stays in place. This way it can be pulled out to air, dry and clean. We used this product where I worked for insulating on certain machines. If you know someone that does industrial insulation for a living, you may be able to get scraps. Also; it can be order on line. One company I found was https://www.foambymail.com/NE-HQ/neo...am-sheets.html

16. Member
    Just ordered some from the company your recommended. Thanks for your help. How much of an improvement in ice preservation did you experience after you installed the foam?