200 SHO Suddendly dropping RPMs at high speed

Hopefully someone can help me out,

I acquired a 2014 skeeter ZX200 from a private seller last year. When making long runs(more than 5 miles) over 5000 RPMs, the RPMs will suddenly drop about 1500 very quickly( within a second) and then come back if I take my foot off the throttle for a couple seconds and reapply it. If I keep my foot on the throttle it struggles to get RPMs back. This seems to be happening more frequently.

From research that I did, I think I eliminated it being caused from the connections at the battery or at the motor or the throttle cable itself.

It seems more fuel restriction related but I'm not really sure. Any Ideas would be appreciated.

2. Member
    Possibly a water separating filter making up if you have one or maybe it hasn't been changed in quiet awhile. I'm talking about the large 10 micron filter.....

3. Member
    Hey Dave, I actually changed it a couple months ago along with the spark plugs. I think there is something like 3 fuel related filters on the motor but I'm not sure if my symptoms could be related to any of those being clogged. I did order a shop manual but I don't want to start disassembling stuff if something like the VST filter could be eliminated from being a possibility.

4. Member
    My dealer says: Service the VST filters (3) and injectors at 300 hundred hours. (SHO) Probably pretty good advice. Other than that.....dunno. On the main engine you only have one filter and the 10 micron.

5. Member
    Only has about 145 hours but yea thanks for the advice.

6. Member
    I had something very similar problem . Mine was a lose main wiring from the battery to the motor . You need to make sure 5he connections are tight . Mine was only a qtr turn loose it was tight but not tight enough . Sho s are very sensitive to electrical flow . Bad flow they do weird things . If that ck out swap starting batteries with one of your trollers for a day .

7. Member
    You have a fuel issue: bad fuel, water in fuel, main fuel filter clogged, engine fuel filters dirty, or dirty injectors. Empty the fuel from the main filter (located before the engine) into an empty glass jar. Let it sit for 15 minutes and look for water in the base of the jar. Since gas is lighter weight than water it will rise to the top of the jar. If water is present, there will be a noticeable dividing line with the gas.

8. Member
    Also can be caused by the knock sensor. If it sees knocking it reduces the timing advance and subsequent reduction in rpm. Try increasing your fuel octane if you are using regular grade.

9. Banned
    I have seen your scenario before, all because the previous owner didn't use E stabilizer. The buyer ended up with flushing the fuel tank lines and system then replacing all filters and fuel injectors. Yours doesn't sound that it has progressed that far .
    Last edited by D-wayne; 08-12-2019 at 05:35 AM.

10. Member
    Changed out fuel filter, fuel water separator filter and previously swapped batteries, still doing it.

11. Member
    It’s the battery connection or the battery itself .