2 Ultrex questions......

I'm planning a purchase for a 24v/80lb Ultrex.

#1 will the foot pedal assy. fit in my existing comfortroll tray?

#2 I now have a 45" shaft on my Fortrex and the length is fine on my 18' Ranger, but have heard whisperings that a 52" is the way to go. ( like the 45" doesn't go as far into the water as it would on a Fortrex,) Thanks, Scott
    Scott Inman

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotti509 View Post

#2 I now have a 45" shaft on my Fortrex and the length is fine on my 18' Ranger, but have heard whisperings that a 52" is the way to go. ( like the 45" doesn't go as far into the water as it would on a Fortrex,) Thanks, Scott
    1: Not sure but I can measure my foot pedal when I get home.

2: since you’re local to me for our area I wouldn’t want a shorter shaft than the 52” which is what I have. I do have a bigger boat and the front more than likely sits higher out of the water than yours so YMMV.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

If you fish in a lake with Wake boats or a lot of wind 52 inch all day! I went from a 45 Maxxum to a 52 Ultrex and glad I did.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    Scott, real simple -- there is only 4 " difference in the 52 and the 45, however the 52 mount is longer than the 45. If you fish in wind or off shore, get the 52, otherwise the 45. Give us a call and we can help you.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Banned
    4"?

Did I short myself?

I cut 7" off my 52 when I changed the mount to a 45 mount the motor sits in the correct spot when stowed.

6. Member
    I have an older 18.5 ft ranger and went with the 52 inch.. didn’t want to short myself. Also, I had the original Comfortroll tray and the ultrex pedal did not fit, had to get the Comfortroll ultrex U-4 tray. Comfortroll on Tackle warehouse states weather the ultrex will fit in that specific tray

Dang! I just put in this tray and on a Ranger it was not fun! Oh well, most of the cutting is done.
    Scott Inman

My 45" fortrex (at max depth) from the top cap of my boat to the propshaft is 39"
    my 52" ultrex (at max depth) from the top cap of my boat to the propshaft is 46"

i heard it is only 4" as well and I regret getting a 52". Side not the few days where my 45" would surface would have been even more controllable with power steering where the torque of high thrust is negated. I will be having an authorized service center cut 3-4" off my 52"
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    My 45" fortrex (at max depth) from the top cap of my boat to the propshaft is 39"
    my 52" ultrex (at max depth) from the top cap of my boat to the propshaft is 46"

i heard it is only 4" as well and I regret getting a 52". Side not the few days where my 45" would surface would have been even more controllable with power steering where the torque of high thrust is negated. I will be having an authorized service center cut 3-4" off my 52"
    I noticed I use more battery now that I cut mine down.. just a fyi it really liked that deep depth.

I changed my mount and that alone was worth it the 45 is so much lighter to lift and stow as well as drop in.

What are you guys cutting? The shaft,?
    Scott Inman

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post

You can't go by comparing the Fortrex and Ultrex from top cap to prop shaft. The steering module and the bow guard are different heights.

A 45" Ultrex shaft, from the bottom of the control box (head) to the top of the motor measures 48". there is a 3" depth adjustment collar that keeps the control box from going all the way to the steering module, making shaft a 45" from bottom of collar placed all the way up to top of lower unit. The steering modules on the 45 and 52 are the same - as is the depth adjustment collar. The 52" measures a true 52 from bottom of control box to top of the lower unit. When you consider the 3" collar slid all the way up, this comes to 49 of shaft from the bottom of the collar to top of lower unit. 45 from 49 is the 4" difference in length.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotti509 View Post

I got my Ultrex pedal to fit in my comfortroll tray. It was just going to be temporary until I could get something else but it has worked good this entire year so I may just keep it this way.
    I mounted a 2x4 where the sloped part starts on the tray. About half of the bottom of the 2x4 is cut at the same angle as the slope of the tray.
    This lets you get the pedal forward just enough to fit. Obviously front of pedal is 1 1/2" higher than the back, but I don't even notice it. Plus, The Spot-lock, Cont., and North buttons are all at a height that seems to work well.

If you are interested I can get a few pictures.
    2003 Ranger 195 DVS - 2003 200 hp EFI Mercury - (3) Humminbird 898's - Minn Kota Ultrex

13. Member
    I'd like to see those pics. Thanks!

14. Member
    Here is some more info on how I got mine to fit. Picture is what it looks like when done. PDF is where i put the 2x4 to get the extra length.

Hope this helps the ones that asked. I have the pedal screwed down (takes longer screws than normal due to slight angle) and didn't have a chance to unscrew it to get pictures of the tray.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2003 Ranger 195 DVS - 2003 200 hp EFI Mercury - (3) Humminbird 898's - Minn Kota Ultrex

Thanks ! That looks great!
    Scott Inman