pflueger president spinning reel

this weekend the reel was pretty stiff when reeling. took bail off and didn't see anything to make it due so. only a year old reel. any advice? oil it up? where would i put oil?
    thanks
    jon

2. Member
    no one?

3. Member
    Yep oil it up. I have a 15yo micro and it runs like new. If it's been in salt or has sand in it you would be best to disassemble it and clean it good. For the cost of a professional cleaning you can get a new one so go ahead and get the schematics and try it on your own if oil doesn't work. There is probably a million YouTube's of disassembly as well.

A lot of reels come overgreased from the factory because most anglers won't maintain them. Once there gets to be some dirt that gets into it, they get stiff. I think if you take it apart then clean and relube it you will be happy.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    i've done my own casting reels, but not spinning reels. where do you grease a spinning reel and how much?

6. Member
    Take the handle off and open the side plate. You will see the ring and pinion gear assembly. Its not hard just flush out all of the old grease with WD40 or very hot water then re-lube with reel grease and oil the main shaft and bearings. If you still have the box I covers lubrication in the instruction manual.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater Bass View Post
    Take the handle off and open the side plate. You will see the ring and pinion gear assembly. Its not hard just flush out all of the old grease with WD40 or very hot water then re-lube with reel grease and oil the main shaft and bearings. If you still have the box I covers lubrication in the instruction manual.
    thanks

Yup, above has it nailed. I've always disassembled the entire bottom section and taken reel cleaning solvent to the assembly with a toothbrush, but that's maybe not necessary. *Lightly* re-grease with a high quality grease, I prefer tan Cal's, and you should be good to go. I was using Ardent Reel Butter for a while and really don't like it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34