1 or 2 units at bow?

I’m going to upgrade my Ranger in the next few weeks to the new mega+ and I can’t decide between 1 or 2 units at the bow. Should I go 1 Helix 12 or 2 Helix 10’s? The price difference is about $550 cheaper with the 1 12. I do plan on getting the mega 360 when available. What say you?
    2019 Ranger Z520L
    Evinrude ETEC 250 H.O. G2

2. Member
    I have two 12 " Solix at bow. 360 runs on the very front and the second unit has map on the left and 2d on the right side. I like this setup.
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

3. Member
    I have a Helix 12 that I run a 360/sonar view and a Helix 7 for mapping and if needed sonar as a backup. I feel you can get by with just a 12" or bigger screen if you want run just 360 and other view(s) but I like to see the map at all times so that was the reason for my second unit.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

4. Member
    Would a single 15 Solix suffice? I’m in the middle of a redesign and haven’t used 360 before.

5. Member
    What you really need to do is ask yourself "What am I trying to accomplish?" If money is no object and you just want to look like an Elite pro, the shove a pair of 12's up there and brag about what you spent. Heck, get a pair of 15" Solix's and really look cool. Other than that, think about what you need and go there.

For me, and I am relatively affluent, two Helix 10's do all I need. I don't fish the Great Lakes, seldom off shore so far I can't see the bank. Pomme de Terre and Truman are pretty much the biggest lakes I fish on. I have 1 - Helix 10 on the console, one on the bow. I started to go with 12's, but they just took up too much room, and didn't get me anything that I needed that the 10's didn't. Another $1,000 squandered with minimal return.

I don't run 360, but from what I've seen on the Tube, one 12 should cover that pretty well assuming you aren't too far off shore.

My $0.02 only. Heck it's just money. I've bought 2 - Ultrex's and 2 - G3N Mega Helix 10's so far this year and it's just August. I surely ain't critical of someone that wants to squander their money.

6. Banned
    The go to setup for my installer is 2-10's with one of them being an SI if you don't have a 360 on the bow. According to him it's the best "bang for the buck". Just a word of warning though, if you have to remove one you will be lost until you put it back on :-)

7. Member
    2--10 helix's work for me ,

8. Member
    Thanks guys... I’m going with 2 10’s. I think it will work the best!
    2019 Ranger Z520L
    Evinrude ETEC 250 H.O. G2

9. Member
    I have one 10 t the bow and want to add another, just for mapping, leaving the other screen open for sonar and mega views.

I have Humminbird 898c and a Lowrance Hook2 9 on the bow and a Garmin 93sv Plus on the console.

Use the HB for mapping and the Lowrance for Sonar/Side Imaging.

Only reason I have two up front is I tried to sell the HB and knowbody wanted it.

11. Member
    I would def. recommend the Helix 12 to run 360 - but if you want to run mapping at the same time that will limit the screen. I run a Helix 12 and a core unit (1199) for mapping and 2D and love the set up. It is nice to have the mapping capability up front when you are fishing.

I bought a Helix 9 G2N to display my 360. I also have a HDS 12T at the bow displaying Map, Down Scan & Sonar. I use another HDS 12T at the console. My Lowrance’s are getting long in the tooth, but still work fine. I will be upgrading to a Helix 12 DI when the Mega 360 is released. I have several months to think about my future configuration, but it will have two units at the bow.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

13. Member
    I can understand having 2 at the bow if you had 360 or panoptix, but I have neither. I have a Solix 12' at the bow and Solix 15' at the helm, both with side imaging.

With the big screen at the helm, I can have 4 windows open if I want. I haven't had the need for more than 2 windows open. We have a lot of grass up here when fishing for largemouth, so nothing really works well in grass.

When after smallmouth, I find the side imaging works well to find likely areas and then drop a waypoint on them and us 2D on the bow.

Pro's are paid to sell product. I never bought into the 4 graph deal, but that's just me. I just bought bigger graphs in case I needed more windows open.

M