2002 Ranger Trailer Cool Hubs - It is time ....

Good Morning Everyone,

Yes, after many years of faithful service, one of my cool hubs is letting water in, as the oil is turning milky. I already drained the oil and put in new, and it turned milky right away after dunking the boat twice, so I am thinking it is time for some maintenance / or perhaps updating. Nothing is leaking, just the oil turning milky at this point.

So, I am hoping that replacing the bearings / races / seals / o-rings will get me back on the road with no water intrusion, but if that does not do the trick, I am hoping others who have been down this road can pipe in what they have done.

Pretty sure I have a leaf spring trailer as it is a 2002. Can I replace the whole hub with something more current or does that require a new axle ( per previous postings I read )

Thank you for your time

Paulski

2. Member
    I would pull the hub and check the bearings and races, they could be ok. But definitely replace the seals.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    Thanks, yes, pretty much at this point going to replace bearings / races / seals as it has been a few years and Ranger has everything, so now is a good time to do both as one is going. Not sure of options if things are beyond that, but perhaps that is a conversation for another day

4. Member
    I did this on my 2003, I ordered 2 full hubs from ranger and an extra set of seals. Replacement was very easy as the axle/spindles weren’t damaged. Replaced the seals in the old set and vacuum sealed them in bags for long distance spares.

5. Member
    Have an 02 Ranger 520vx with the same issue. This is super simple. Just need to buy the right size bearing buddies and they replace the oil bath. Remove the oil baths, hand pack the bearings with grease and then tap the bearing buddies in place.. I replaced my seals while I had everything apart. Trick the guy at UFP taught me. One of the bearing buddies kept coming loose because the hub lost some round. Take it off and put if face down on your trailer ball and whack it hard....put it back in round and the bearing buddy never worked loose again. Once you get the bearing buddy in place use the nipple to top off with grease. Now I only check and top off with grease a couple times a year. The way I look at it most towns along your travel will have a grease gun, but doubt many would have an oil bath if you have an issue. Also real easy to keep a spare bearing buddy in your truck.

6. Member
    Replace the inner seals. Check the bearings. If they are good you can use them. Use high temp automotive silicone in place of the little o-ring Ranger used on the cap. Re-fill with oil. Run it for another 17 years. A little milky oil is nothing to worry about. A drop of condensation in the oil will cause that. I have a 1999 Ranger trail dual axle. Same bearings, same hubs, same axle. Service them every 4-5 years. No big issues. It’s a great system and I will never use grease again.