Gelcoat and Automotive base coat?

Hey Guys,
    I have recently purchased an old school 12' jet boat, it looks a lot like a Champion Mirage. Anyway I want to do a complete restoration/customization, my question is can I use automotive base coat and clear coat it with gelcoat?

Thanks
    Carlton

2. Member
    Awlgrip now makes some nice metalic colors. You might want to check them out since they are more compatible with gelcoat.

It’s a great product !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    When I spray paint over gelcoat I first spray a good quality 2K Urethane primer/sealer. Automotive finishes tend to sink when sprayed over gelcoat. Awlgrip and other marine paint finishes are formulated for application over fiberglass. Many one off boats are just faired then a marine paint sprayed with very good results. If your looking for a House of Kolor type custom culture paint job then automotive refinish products are the only way I know to get there.

I painted the sides of my hull the way Rojoguio above mentioned, by first sanding all the oxidation and scratches out of the gel coat, then using a 2k urethane sealer and 2k fullthane urethane paint. The gelcoat was black, the sealer was black, and the 1 stage urethane was black. It has proved to be a durable finish and the one scratch I got in it (when a pontoon boat slammed into my boat while it was docked at the courtesy dock) easily buffed out with a little wet sanding and a DA. Urethane paint is easy to apply for a novice painter, such as myself, and I think well worth the money (I used Nason from a local paint supplier and had about $300 in it for all the paint, sealer, activators, reducers, and materials).
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

6. Member
    BeachCustoms clear your PM's Bud, I can't answer your message due to your limit is reached.

should be good now, weird because I only had 122 in my inbox.