Another 175TXW Livewell question

Greetings all-
    I am new to the forum and to Tracker boats. After my 1st outing I noticed the following:

When I pulled the main boat plug when finished fishing, the water started flowing and figured out it was coming from a full live well even though I never actually turned on the live well to fill.

1. Is it normal for the live well to “automatically” fill?

2. Is it normal for the live well to drain thru the main boat plug when removed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Member
    1. I have the old style of livewells in my boat, where you screw a standpipe into the drain if you wish to fill it, and remove the standpipe to drain it. With the standpipe removed and the boat in the water, yes I can get a little bit of water in the livewell but I would not consider this "automatic fill" since its not very much water. As for the "pump out" style of livewell, I have no experience.

2. Livewell should not drain by pulling the main boat drain plug. If the water is indeed coming from the livewell somehow I would say that the livewell or its plumbing are leaking, or livewell is overfilling and splashing out into the bilge. However I suspect overfilling should not be the case in your situation, since you stated that you did not switch on the pump to fill it up.
    Last edited by R2Tracker; 08-05-2019 at 06:44 PM. Reason: clarification
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

Fishing all day with the livewell running. As long as you don’t backwash the transom. When you pull the main drain plug. There should not be a single drop of water that comes out.

so you have a leak somewhere. Or it’s over filling. Then splashing over the top underneath the deck. Which shouldn’t happen, if it’s seal properly.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

4. Member
    what year model and do you have the front livewell
    2006 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX 115 Merc

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moose364 View Post
    what year model and do you have the front livewell
    It is a 2017. No Front Livewell.

6. Member
    The livewell doesn't automatically fill, you have a switch on the right side of your dash to turn on the pump (hope you have an owners manual to read). The livewell has both a pump out feature and a gravity drain in the bottom center of the livewell. If that drain isn't plugged water will enter the livewell through the drain. The factory drain plug wasn't a tight fit in my livewell and water would slowly seep into the well.

The livewell doesn't drain into the bilge. The water from your bilge may come from (1) a leak in the hull (transducer mount, engine bolts etc..), (2) a leak in a hose or a loose hose clamp, (3) Back wash coming over the transom when you come off plane, or (4) As gatorglenn suggested, leaving the livewell running and overfilling. I did that once but didn't overfill, my livewell overflow drains dumped water faster than it could be pumped in.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

7. Member
    Check ALL of your hose clamps, I bet you'll find one or a few them loose. My 175 was taking on water and it was due to loose hose clamps. After that, never had a drop of water in the bilge. Good Luck!

8. Member
    How did you get to hose clamps, must have to remove something? Thank you

9. Member
    The loose hose clamps were going to my livewell. When the pump was on a lot of water was going into the bilge area. I twisted and turned every direction to reach all I could reach.