XR6 BOGGING ON HOLE SHOT

0G274791. 1995, 150 XR6, Carborated. Popping lean on idle.
    Back fire and then die in neutral with no throttle. Rough idle. Can't start cold or warm with out additional throttle. Level motor squeeze bulb pumped before every start. Enricher seems not to effect start. Only additional Throttle. Hole shot is very slow, like half power. Once on plane, she goes like a bat out of hell. WOT 5600 rpm 59 mph pushing a 90 361V with standard load 4 batteries and Fortrex on now. Voltage regulator just changed. Mechanic tested Stator, said it's fine. Just looking for some insight. Problem started after long run in hot temps. Motor just bogged down and lost plane. Would not run past 2000 rpm until the voltage regulator was switched. Thanks to any of you that have input. -J.

2. Member
    check basics first , spark and compression, fuel delivery
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    old motor and boat. Checked the fuel lines? See the FAQ. If the pre-ethanol fuel line collapses, or the liner separates, you are in for a world of hurt on fuel delivery.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

4. Member
    New fuel lines. Old boat yes. Old motor, yes. So what?

5. Member
    This boat was a complete top side rebuild including new wiring gauges etc. The first 10-12 trips with the newish (50 hrs when I got it) went fine. There has to be a reason for the sluggish planning but great performance at WOT. And the shitty idling. I am turning to any of you that have real information, not opinions that my boat and motor are 'Old' Thanks again.

6. Member
    95 aint old, JP please start with compression check and spark check
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Also maybe reeds.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Also maybe reeds.
    reeds would be my first guess also

9. Member
    Reeds my guess too!!

10. Member
    reeds mabe ,does it have a spray of fuel being blown back out carb or carbs ??????

11. Member
    It seems to run pretty rich. I pulled all the plugs on Sunday and they were all wet. Also, there is some condensation of fuel and oil in the front part of the motor compartment.

12. Member
    Run the motor without the air box on front of the carbs and see if there is any spatter coming out of carbs with motor running.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

13. Member
    yep

14. Member
    So I put it on the muffs tonight with a test fuel can to rule out a pick up tube in the tank starving it. Same result. Wont idle with out Throttle and it will chuff or backfire then die. What I did notice is that there is exhaust only coming out of one side of the vents under the motor compartment
    Can this mean the motor is only firing on 3 cylinders? Also, a lot of oil under the carbs is accumulating. I will do as suggested and check the carbs with out the air box this weekend when we Re on the water.

15. Member
    no

16. Member
    Joe- if there is 'spatter' from the carbs does that mean it's the likely culprit here? And rebuild of all 3? Thanks.

17. Member
    if your seeing fuel being blown out towards front from venture possible bad reed or reeds,pump bulb tilt mtr not running you see fuel pouring out carb , floats too high or trash in inlet, bad float, bad reed will feel pulse of air also blown to front