Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Was drafted and entered the Army in 1971, served my 2 years and was discharged. Never gave a thought about VA medical benefits until I lost my job at 59 years old in 2010. Thought that maybe it would be a good time to get a card and be in the system so made a trip to the VA and picked up the forms. Wasn't trying to file a claim just trying to get in the system. I was rejected and given the reason that I made too much money the previous year. Left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I'm sorry you had that experience, however you also walked into a VA nearly 40 years after you got out. Kind of hard to prove any kind of service related condition after 40 years of being a civilian. How much you made shouldn't have made a difference. I would recommend seeing a VSO like the VFW, AMVET, DAV, etc. and ask for their assistance. You have nothing to lose.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

3. Member
    If Congress wants to fix medical care in this country, forcing them into the VA system for a year should do it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSComanche View Post
    Was drafted and entered the Army in 1971, served my 2 years and was discharged. Never gave a thought about VA medical benefits until I lost my job at 59 years old in 2010. Thought that maybe it would be a good time to get a card and be in the system so made a trip to the VA and picked up the forms. Wasn't trying to file a claim just trying to get in the system. I was rejected and given the reason that I made too much money the previous year. Left a very bad taste in my mouth.
    I used to get the "too much money" routine, until I used a DAV rep. I got that after 20 years service. The Rep gave me a copy of a law stating I didn't have to show my income. I was a "Tier 8", but I could use their services.

https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/re...ity_groups.pdf

These days I am a tier 2. I don't tell the VA my household income.

The fact the system is so jacked up that we have to use a representative is wrong IMO, BUT it is the system in place. Find a local rep. You should be on Medicare now if you are not working or don't have employer creditable insurance. The VA may provide some of your prescriptions or care? Even the 20 year Vets should pay Part B Medicare or risk getting a fat fine. We call it "Trip-Care for Life". We don't have to pay Part D which can be a huge savings. After 65 the VA isn't considered creditable insurance by Centers for Medicare and Medicaid.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    I'm sorry you had that experience, however you also walked into a VA nearly 40 years after you got out. Kind of hard to prove any kind of service related condition after 40 years of being a civilian. How much you made shouldn't have made a difference. I would recommend seeing a VSO like the VFW, AMVET, DAV, etc. and ask for their assistance. You have nothing to lose.
    Sorry but I fail to see any significance in the number of years between my ETS and attempting to get in the system. Does that make me less of a veteran or less deserving that I waited 40+ years? Honestly did not need VA services prior to that. When you become unemployed at my age and no employer will give you the time of day, the only option for income is unemployment benefits. That's real world and current situation and previous year income, when unemployed, is a sad way to base eligibility. I have known many veterans in my lifetime who were allowed to use the VA for prescriptions, eye glasses, hearing aids and annual physicals. It's downright shameful one must evidently lie.

I meant no disrespect or lack of honor in your service. The fact that you served is sufficient. What I was referring to is service related conditions. Did you expect the VA to just start treating you for everything ailment you had? They are still a government run entity with limited resources that they have to spread over an increasingly larger number. Just because you've known "many veterans...who were allowed to use the VA," doesn't mean they had to lie to get those benefits. I'm not saying they did or didn't, I'm not going to make those assumptions, however, I'm am wondering why they evidently "lied,"and you were owed benefits despite never making a claim in 40 years.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Just for info. I became eligible account according to Federal Benefits for Veterans guide Page #3 "Veterans who served in the Republic of Vietnam between Jan 9 1962 and May 7 1975." This automatically qualified me!!

Thank you Jarhead2 for your service as well; and thank you for the reference to the benefits guide.
    2016 Nitro Z21

9. Member
    Not sure why you say kind of hard to prove a service related condition after 40 years of being a civilian, a service related condition is not a prerequisite to receive VA benefits.

You're right...but it is a prerequisite for compensation and it will help with other benefits and the tier of service.
    2016 Nitro Z21

11. Member
    I have switched all my doctors over to the VA and very pleased with the service.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

12. Member
    You're right...but it is a prerequisite for compensation and it will help with other benefits and the tier of service.
    I'm not exactly sure what I said that might make you think I want to make a claim and receive a disability benefit but let me assure you that is not the case. My reference about unemployment benefits/income was to make a point of the hard times I was experiencing at that point in my life. Just to make it clear, I had no ailments that needed treatment but it certainly would have been a relief to have had some sort of health care available if needed. I'm past that now but would certainly learn how to work the system a little better if I had to do it again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12