Thread: Copolymer Line?

Copolymer Line?

Im new to the bigger swimbaits. I just purchased a Dobyns Fury FR 795SB. I will be throwing 168 swavers, hud 68 and 8" magdrafts with it to start.

My question is.
    Would I be better starting with a Copolymer Line? Since it seems to be a good compromise between floro and mono.

Thanx for any input.

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I fish a little smaller swimbait on CXX and I do like it. It does break if it gets kinked or the knot isn’t moistened correctly so I make sure to take my time but I like the line a lot. I throw braid mostly so I have to be careful not to treat everything like braid!

12 or 14lb CXX for me when throwing a swim jig or swimbait.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

3. Member
    I do braid to leader and have been happy with it.

4. Member
    20lb CXX

5. Scraps
    I don't know, but I've sort of been worried ab out heaving those big baits all day on FC which, stretches, stretches, breaks. As opposed to mono which stretches and returns to original length. I was a long-time Yo-Zuri hybrid user and have used McCoy and Gamma copoly and really like those too. Izorline also.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    I use Silver Thread AN40 copolymer in 25 lb test for most of my big swimbaits. Zero issues but getting very hard to find.

7. Member
    I fish a lot of the PLine FlouroClear. 15 and 20. I've had nothing but good luck with it and it's inexpensive.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

8. Member
    Braid to mono leader, never treat me bad on s-waivers and the like.

9. Member
    What a topic! I love P-Line Floroclear! i use 12lb and it's pretty good for swim jigs, jigs, 1/8th -1/2oz. I think it's pretty sensitive overall. I've tried many brand from Suffix, Berkley, Sunline, but for the past 4 years I've had nothing but positive feedback from the Floroclear. I've used P-Line CXX, but as the guy said up there, they do break. Just not very much flex in the line.
    50th Anniversary
    1998 Skeeter Zx195C
    200 V MAX

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joexiong View Post
    What a topic! I love P-Line Floroclear! i use 12lb and it's pretty good for swim jigs, jigs, 1/8th -1/2oz. I think it's pretty sensitive overall. I've tried many brand from Suffix, Berkley, Sunline, but for the past 4 years I've had nothing but positive feedback from the Floroclear. I've used P-Line CXX, but as the guy said up there, they do break. Just not very much flex in the line.
    This is the only Line I trust besides my Braided setups. I'll probably end up buying 10lb for my cranking setups soon.
    50th Anniversary
    1998 Skeeter Zx195C
    200 V MAX

How much does Fluoroclear stretch? I’ve not used it in years, hated it when I tried it but it was also spooled up on a spinning reel. I’ve thought about trying it for cranking, but with all the vegetation around here a lot of stuff stretches too much so that’s what I worry about here.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

12. Member
    I like McCoy clear

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    How much does Fluoroclear stretch? I’ve not used it in years, hated it when I tried it but it was also spooled up on a spinning reel. I’ve thought about trying it for cranking, but with all the vegetation around here a lot of stuff stretches too much so that’s what I worry about here.
    I'm not even sure, but i was sold on it the moment I hooked up fishes. I have the confidence to truly set the hook harder then straight Fluorocarbon lines.

For cranking, I love it! Depending on your rod taper, It gives you extra room to set the hook also. We're in the state, And i haven't lost a shallow square bill yet even on higher weed growths.
    50th Anniversary
    1998 Skeeter Zx195C
    200 V MAX

According to the original owner of McCoy, Monofilament = made from one type of nylon. Copolymer= made from two or more types of nylon. He also said that virtually all brands and types were, in fact, copolymer. So the term "monofilament" is pretty much finito, kaput, done for. You're welcome to type "copoly", tho.

Not certain that you still can, but I used to order "mini-bulk spools" of An40, Super Silver Thread, and Excalibur copolymer lines direct from Pradco, the parent company of Booyah, Rebel, Bomber, etc., and now War Eagle. My recollection is that they gave good quick service. I was ordering online and paying by Visa. Easy peasy.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Quote Originally Posted by joexiong View Post
    I'm not even sure, but i was sold on it the moment I hooked up fishes. I have the confidence to truly set the hook harder then straight Fluorocarbon lines.

For cranking, I love it! Depending on your rod taper, It gives you extra room to set the hook also. We're in the state, And i haven't lost a shallow square bill yet even on higher weed growths.
    Comparing to straight fluoro, it sounds like you're saying there's more stretch to it? Just among different lines I've tried, ones that are often suggested for cranking just have too much stretch for my taste. Examples are Seaguar Invisx, Yo Zuri Top Knot, K9 fluoro, etc. I'm not so concerned about setting the hook with a crank but more concerned about being able to rip it free of weeds without wasting casts. They hook themselves or I can hook them easy enough by just leaning into them.

I've been using Hitena Bass Raptor this year for cranking and really like it, but they don't have bulk spools which kind of makes it tough as their regular sized spools aren't quite big enough to spool up twice. The line is really, really nice though - tough, manageable, doesn't stretch too much, etc. Honestly I would be 100% Hitena Bass Raptor for my fluoro uses if I could get it in bigger spools. Sniper is the other that I use for cranking and am happy enough with. 12 lb is my go-to in both of those, but more generally I look for 0.29-0.30 mm diameter since going by lb tests isn't consistent (not even close) across brands.

I realize I'm sort of in the minority with this, most people want stretch for crankbaits to stop them from losing fish. For me, the rod I choose does well enough for that. If it stretches too much it doesn't matter if I don't lose fish when I can't get bit in the first place due to bringing in a pile of weeds every other cast. I realize I could go braid but then I am losing fish. A nice fluoro that doesn't stretch much has been the best solution for me so far, but I'm always looking for something better. Haven't tried the Sufix advance yet, I've heard good things about it in that realm though.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Comparing to straight fluoro, it sounds like you're saying there's more stretch to it? Just among different lines I've tried, ones that are often suggested for cranking just have too much stretch for my taste. Examples are Seaguar Invisx, Yo Zuri Top Knot, K9 fluoro, etc. I'm not so concerned about setting the hook with a crank but more concerned about being able to rip it free of weeds without wasting casts. They hook themselves or I can hook them easy enough by just leaning into them.

I've been using Hitena Bass Raptor this year for cranking and really like it, but they don't have bulk spools which kind of makes it tough as their regular sized spools aren't quite big enough to spool up twice. The line is really, really nice though - tough, manageable, doesn't stretch too much, etc. Honestly I would be 100% Hitena Bass Raptor for my fluoro uses if I could get it in bigger spools. Sniper is the other that I use for cranking and am happy enough with. 12 lb is my go-to in both of those, but more generally I look for 0.29-0.30 mm diameter since going by lb tests isn't consistent (not even close) across brands.

I realize I'm sort of in the minority with this, most people want stretch for crankbaits to stop them from losing fish. For me, the rod I choose does well enough for that. If it stretches too much it doesn't matter if I don't lose fish when I can't get bit in the first place due to bringing in a pile of weeds every other cast. I realize I could go braid but then I am losing fish. A nice fluoro that doesn't stretch much has been the best solution for me so far, but I'm always looking for something better. Haven't tried the Sufix advance yet, I've heard good things about it in that realm though.
    I've never heard on Hitena? anyways, My hook up ratio is pretty good on crank and with the P-line Flouroclear. The extra stretch helps for me, cause i feel like i'm a heavy setter lol. On top of that, if you hit any weeds and start taking it in, the stretch helps if you just leave the crank for a good few seconds. I use a JDM 7'3 Evergreen Glass Heavy cranking rod, moderate slow taper, paired with a 5:5 or so ratio Shimano Curado. Awesome setup.
    50th Anniversary
    1998 Skeeter Zx195C
    200 V MAX

Different strokes, I suppose!

Hitena is a sort of new company started up by a fellow from South Korea who made a really successful business working with aerospace type manufacturing. He crossed over into fishing gear basically for fun, and I think because a lot of the manufacturing techniques transfer pretty easily. They have a bunch of good stuff including some of the most impressive swivels and split rings on the market - even stronger than Owner Hyper Wire - and have some awesome line too. Their Bass Raptor flouro is excellent. I've got some of their new Light Game Nova on order in 12 lb to try. Not available in other sizes yet, but I'm thinking it'll be another winner. http://hitenausa.com
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"