2017 21TRX Performance Update

Here's the latest update on my 2017 21TRX.

2017 21TRX w/ dual consoles.
    2017 Mercury 250 ProXS w/ Gen 2 TM 1.75:1.
    10" Atlas hydraulic jackplate w/ 2 degree wedges for positive trim.
    (2) Power Pole 8' Blades.
    Motorguide 109 TE 36V.
    (2) HDS 12"s w/ Smartcraft engine data.
    (3) Battle Born 100 Ah lithium batteries for the 36V trolling motor.
    (1) Centennial 1150 Group 31 battery for outboard cranking and accessories.
    (1) Minn Kota Precision MK 460 PC 4 bank onboard charger.
    No water in the livewells.
    42 Gallons of fuel.
    215 LB Driver - no passenger.

I pack a fair amount of tackle and gear. I would consider my boat loading as medium heavy. These were the first test runs I made since I replaced my (3) Trojan SCS 225 batteries for (3) Battle Born 100 Ah lithium batteries. By replacing my Trojan batteries at 66 lbs each = 198 lbs for the Battle Born lithium's at 29 lbs each = 87 lbs, I removed 111 lbs from the rear engine compartment. I noticed a big improvement on the holeshot and mid range acceleration. My top end speed only increased about 1 mph. I have not had a chance to give the new lithium batteries an all day fishing load to see how they perform. The little bit of trolling motor work that I have given them has impressed me.

Test run information - Sunday 12/10/2017.
    Lake Whatcom - deep clear lake - elevation 312 feet above sea level.
    Light chop - excellent running conditions.
    Air temperature 45 degrees.
    Surface water temperature 46 degrees.
    Prop to pad measurements were based on the best top end speed and performance from each prop.
    Speed readings from my HDS-12 / Point-1.
    Engine data from my Smartcraft linked to my HDS-12.

25P Fury 3 blade - stock prop w/ no vent plugs, all holes open.
    3 1/2" prop to pad.
    5900+ RPM's.
    75.6 MPH
    Water pressure 20+ PSIG.
    Holeshot was very good.

25P Fury 3 blade - minor work by Mark Croxton w/ no vent plugs, all holes open.
    3 1/2" prop to pad.
    5900+ RPM's.
    76.2 MPH
    Water pressure 20+ PSIG.
    Holeshot was very good.

26 Tenpest Plus 3 blade - repitched to 25P B&B by Mark Croxton w/ 3 large vent plugs.
    3" prop to pad.
    5900+ RPM's.
    76.2 MPH.
    Water pressure 20+ PSIG.
    Holeshot was good - minor ventilation at break over. Had to feather the throttle.

The reworked 26P to 25P Tempest Plus had a little more bow lift but the reworked 25P Fury had a better overall feel and a quicker holeshot. With a passenger and a little more gear load, the Tempest Plus might be the better performer. After removing the 111 lbs of battery weight from the rear engine compartment and seeing the performance gains, my tournament partner and I need to throttle back on the "wobbly pops" and lose some weight. I hope this information helps some of you or at least gives you a starting point. For the record, I couldn't ask for a better built boat. The design, layout, quality and attention to detail are first class. All five of my Triton's (21Tr, 21X, 20X3, 2014 21TRX, 2017 21TRX) have been great and I have only had a few minor issues that were handled quickly by my dealer (Nixon's Marine). I just don't get the Triton bashing. I can afford to purchase any brand out there, I still choose Triton. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

2. Member
    Were All the comparison runs executed on the same day?
    Were the lithium batteries swapped out on the same day as the FIRST comparison run?

Dana, thanks for the update, at 2400 feet ASL mine doesn't run near that. I'm still running the Trojan batteries and have a 52" Ultrex up front and 2 Blades. I have a 25 Tempest but haven't tried it yet, I'm running a 24 Fury 4 at 67-68 loaded with 2 guys. Nixon's copied your setup when they put mine together and did the same with a friends '18, but forgot to put in his wedges.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Were All the comparison runs executed on the same day?
    Were the lithium batteries swapped out on the same day as the FIRST comparison run?
    Savage, yes all of the test runs were done on the same day within a four hour time frame. All three runs were done with the lithium batteries.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stein3411 View Post
    Savage, yes all of the test runs were done on the same day within a four hour time frame. All three runs were done with the lithium batteries.
    Thanks for the clarification. You are the fourth person that I know that saw a 0-1 MPH gain by switching to lithium batteries, which I believe is a correct assessment. I have heard about 3 MPH gains from switching to lithiums, but its my opinion that these claims are false, and if there was such a high gain in speed it was from a set-up change in addition to the battery swap.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. You are the fourth person that I know that saw a 0-1 MPH gain by switching to lithium batteries, which I believe is a correct assessment. I have heard about 3 MPH gains from switching to lithiums, but its my opinion that these claims are false, and if there was such a high gain in speed it was from a set-up change in addition to the battery swap.
    The hole shot and mid range improvement was noticeable.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Have you tried running the worked 26 tempest plus higher than 3inches prop to pad? My 20 trx mine runs the tempest best in around the 2.5 range for top end. Granted the hulls are not the same, but was just curious if you've tried to run it higher? My 20 also runs best on top end when I bump the trim down some from max trim. I will gain that last mph or 2 doing this. Again this is on my boat it may not work on yours but just thought if you haven't tried it maybe worth a try.

I also would have thought you would have seen a little more improvement on the top end with the batteries considering the 21 is a faster hull than the 20. Saying that I just basically gained the top end speed I lost when I started running my ultrex. Now the hole shot and mid range went from good to really good after I made the switch to my Battle Borns.
    Last edited by Buck456; 12-19-2017 at 09:39 PM.

8. Member
    With the improved low end performance maybe you could run a 26 Tempest, not a reduced pitch version. Also the ideal prop to pad for that hull with a Tempest is closer to 2.5-2.75" which would allow you to reach 6Krpm. Might be worth another 2mph.

The hole shot and mid range improvement was noticeable.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    Have you tried running the worked 26 tempest plus higher than 3inches prop to pad? My 20 trx mine runs the tempest best in around the 2.5 range for top end. Granted the hulls are not the same, but was just curious if you've tried to run it higher? My 20 also runs best on top end when I bump the trim down some from max trim. I will gain that last mph or 2 doing this. Again this is on my boat it may not work on yours but just thought if you haven't tried it maybe worth a try.

I also would have thought you would have seen a little more improvement on the top end with the batteries considering the 21 is a faster hull than the 20. Saying that I just basically gained the top end speed I lost when I started running my ultrex. Now the hole shot and mid range went from good to really good after I made the switch to my Battle Borns.
    I'm going to make some more runs between 3" and 2.5" prop to pad. I will post results.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leo13 View Post
    With the improved low end performance maybe you could run a 26 Tempest, not a reduced pitch version. Also the ideal prop to pad for that hull with a Tempest is closer to 2.5-2.75" which would allow you to reach 6Krpm. Might be worth another 2mph.
    I could spin a 26P solo. However I fish most of my tournaments as team trail. I want to prop my boat for the best overall performance to match this type of load. I also ran my test runs at 312 feet, most of my tournament waters are above 1,000 feet. Performance is going to drop off some and I think the 26P will be to much. I'm going to try a 26P Tempest Plus that I have and see what kind of numbers I can get.

11. Member
    I would stick with the 25P for what your doing.......Your results are good and honest, with all the gear and accessories that your using.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post

Buck, I know the 21 is supposed to be a little faster than the 20. I've been seeing some pretty good numbers that are coming from the 20TRX. I think that rig is a pretty fine ride and runs well in rough water. Merry Christmas

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Buck, I know the 21 is supposed to be a little faster than the 20. I've been seeing some pretty good numbers that are coming from the 20TRX. I think that rig is a pretty fine ride and runs well in rough water. Merry Christmas
    I'm pretty happy with my 20 in all aspects. I do get pretty good numbers out of mine. I've just not been around a lot of 21's yet. I'm only going on what I've read here. Can't wait to here how you like your battery performance. Hope you have a safe and Merry Christmas too.

14. Member
    Here's the latest update on my 2017 21TRX.

2017 21TRX w/ dual consoles.
    2017 Mercury 250 ProXS w/ Gen 2 TM 1.75:1.
    10" Atlas hydraulic jackplate w/ 2 degree wedges for positive trim.
    (2) Power Pole 8' Blades.
    Motorguide 109 TE 36V.
    (2) HDS 12"s w/ Smartcraft engine data.
    (3) Battle Born 100 Ah lithium batteries for the 36V trolling motor.
    (1) Centennial 1150 Group 31 battery for outboard cranking and accessories.
    (1) Minn Kota Precision MK 460 PC 4 bank onboard charger.
    No water in the livewells.
    42 Gallons of fuel.
    215 LB Driver - no passenger.

I pack a fair amount of tackle and gear. I would consider my boat loading as medium heavy. These were the first test runs I made since I replaced my (3) Trojan SCS 225 batteries for (3) Battle Born 100 Ah lithium batteries. By replacing my Trojan batteries at 66 lbs each = 198 lbs for the Battle Born lithium's at 29 lbs each = 87 lbs, I removed 111 lbs from the rear engine compartment. I noticed a big improvement on the holeshot and mid range acceleration. My top end speed only increased about 1 mph. I have not had a chance to give the new lithium batteries an all day fishing load to see how they perform. The little bit of trolling motor work that I have given them has impressed me.

Test run information - Sunday 12/10/2017.
    Lake Whatcom - deep clear lake - elevation 312 feet above sea level.
    Light chop - excellent running conditions.
    Air temperature 45 degrees.
    Surface water temperature 46 degrees.
    Prop to pad measurements were based on the best top end speed and performance from each prop.
    Speed readings from my HDS-12 / Point-1.
    Engine data from my Smartcraft linked to my HDS-12.

25P Fury 3 blade - stock prop w/ no vent plugs, all holes open.
    3 1/2" prop to pad.
    5900+ RPM's.
    75.6 MPH
    Water pressure 20+ PSIG.
    Holeshot was very good.

25P Fury 3 blade - minor work by Mark Croxton w/ no vent plugs, all holes open.
    3 1/2" prop to pad.
    5900+ RPM's.
    76.2 MPH
    Water pressure 20+ PSIG.
    Holeshot was very good.

26 Tenpest Plus 3 blade - repitched to 25P B&B by Mark Croxton w/ 3 large vent plugs.
    3" prop to pad.
    5900+ RPM's.
    76.2 MPH.
    Water pressure 20+ PSIG.
    Holeshot was good - minor ventilation at break over. Had to feather the throttle.

The reworked 26P to 25P Tempest Plus had a little more bow lift but the reworked 25P Fury had a better overall feel and a quicker holeshot. With a passenger and a little more gear load, the Tempest Plus might be the better performer. After removing the 111 lbs of battery weight from the rear engine compartment and seeing the performance gains, my tournament partner and I need to throttle back on the "wobbly pops" and lose some weight. I hope this information helps some of you or at least gives you a starting point. For the record, I couldn't ask for a better built boat. The design, layout, quality and attention to detail are first class. All five of my Triton's (21Tr, 21X, 20X3, 2014 21TRX, 2017 21TRX) have been great and I have only had a few minor issues that were handled quickly by my dealer (Nixon's Marine). I just don't get the Triton bashing. I can afford to purchase any brand out there, I still choose Triton. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
    Finally had a break in the weather and a busy work schedule, took the boat out for a run today 1/14/2018. Weather was incredible, 50 degrees, clear and sunny. the lake I ran on is the same lake from my previous test and it was a mill pond at 43.6 water temperature. I ran a 26P Tempest Plus, factory prop, no work with three large plugs.
    75 MPH
    6000 RPM's
    3" P2P
    Water PSI 20+
    Good holeshot.
    Bow lift was OK, slightly dissapointed.

I tried the P2P from 3" to 2 1/2", the best speed came in at 3". Below 3" the RPM's increased slightly but I saw no speed increase. I played with the trim and the best speed came from full trim, bumped down two quick touches of the trim switch. No doubt this prop needs some Croxton magic.

Thanks for the update, I bought a 25 Tempest after I spoke with you last summer, but haven't run it yet. One of my partners just got his '18 TRX 21 in from Nixon's. I'm wondering if it will be faster than my '16.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    Thanks for the update, I bought a 25 Tempest after I spoke with you last summer, but haven't run it yet. One of my partners just got his '18 TRX 21 in from Nixon's. I'm wondering if it will be faster than my '16.
    I'm curious too to see what kind of numbers he gets out of his 2018.