Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need sun protection clothing advice.

In 2 weeks I'm going in to get the 3rd basil cell carcinoma cut out. This one on my neck below my left ear. Two years ago on the top of my head right wear the sun comes through the back of a cap. Two years before that on my chest right wear neck meets. These aren't even counting probably 12 or 15 places I've had froze off in other places on back, arms, and face. I now apply the sunscreen to my arms and back of hands(short sleeve shirts), and legs and feet(when wearing shorts). But, I can not take putting the oily, greasy stuff on my head mainly because the stuff eventually ends up in my eyes and when the sun really starts cooking, it's like my entire head is under a heat lamp. I swear putting this stuff on my face is like dunking my skull into a drum of crude oil. Now my questions for you guys---from T.W., I'm thinking of ordering the Aftco M63201 Samuri Performance Hoodie and also a Glacier Glove Universal Sun Shade II kind of neck and face shade thingy. I know I've got to cover up the head, neck, and face as much as possible. I now wear a wide brimmed straw hat. I have tried the assorted 'buff' type masks and just can't take them-they're like wearing a ski mask. I am WIDE OPEN for you guys advice and recommendations. Thanks a lot.

2. Member
    Tilley hat and Gillz buff have been serving me well for a couple of years. I use Neutrogena for face sun screen on my face and ears. You hardly know you’re wearing it. My FIL has the same problems as you with the cancers and getting them removed. He puts on a SPF lotion everyday no matter what.

3. Member
    Columbia PFG long sleeved shirt and buff are my fav ones I have. Huk has some good stuff but I don’t think the hype or materials is worth it the cost over Columbia. Also look into outdoor brands such as Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, and Arc’teryx. The latter is expensive as balls but some of the nicest crap I’ve ever seen
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    I wear the columbia PFG shirt that is nearly identical to the AFTCO you mentioned and I like it. The hood is nice and optional. I like the buff style sun masks, with my favorite so far being the Simms version. I still have trouble with fogging up my glasses though so I can't wear it over my nose. If you find something you like report it back here, there are quite a few people still looking for a better solution. I would highly recommend getting gloves as well. Brand is purely preference as most seem to be good enough and do not bother me at all while fishing.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

I wear a lot of Huk and Columbia stuff. Catch it on sale and the price isn't as bad. I also found a sunscreen the other day that doesnt feel oily at all. I'll have to see what the name of it is. I know its coppertone something or other. I cant stand most sunscreens either.

I've been having a similar issue with the neck gaiters. Well, maybe that's not the right way to say it. I can deal with having them on my face, yet can't manage to get the area between the top of my shirt and bottom of the gaiter covered no matter what I try. I've been applying SPF 50 despite wearing the gaiter, but my Irish heritage means I still burn, even with reapplication. Lots of people suggest buying the hoodie style shirts or ones with a gaiter built it, but that doesn't do me any good when I've already got 6+ UPF shirts that aren't that way.

So I finally broke down and purchased one of the new Buff UVX gaiters. At $37 it's absolutely outrageous for what it is, but it's the only one I've ever tried that actually fills that gap. This includes the GillZ and Simms ones that seem like they should but end up not doing the job - I think I must have broad shoulders. It has holes for breathing through that probably help some with it being uncomfortable on your face, but even if you don't pull it up, just wearing it around your neck will protect your ENTIRE neck.

How is it that it took that long for someone to make one that actually works??? Seriously, grab the Buff UVX and pair it with any of the UPF shirts you can find (they're all basically the same - buy those based on price). It's expensive, but if I'd just grabbed one in the first place I could've had three more of them for what I've wasted for others that are slightly cheaper.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

7. Comanche warrior MassBass320v's Avatar
    I found some Hanes long sleeve moisture wicking spf protection tees on Wal-Mart.com a few years ago for about $8 each. I also wear one of those Mission cooling buffs around my neck, and a Redhead full brim boonie hat. Works for me.
    __________________________________________________ __
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

I wear Magellan stuff from Academy. Light colors, loose fit one size up from my normal. Inexpensive, light weight, quick dry. Long sleeve and long pants, I can wear them all day. Tilley hat. I still do the SPF 50 on myself because it doesn't bother me. The clothes will surprise people. Loose and light are cooler than shorts and t-shirts.

9. Member
    Sun Day Adventure hat, Buff or Buff knock-off, Columbia PFG shirt in the style of your choice. Cabela's zip off pants and if you zip them off put 30 UPF sunscreen on your legs. Columbia PFG Bahama vent shoes or Columbia Drainmakers.

Your welcome.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

10. Member
    I prefer to not wear a gaiter, but at times, I will. They’re hot. And if it’s stupid humid, I get hot in the Tennessee sun. And that’s not nearly as bad as people south of here!

The BEST HAT I’ve found is the Sun Runner from Outdoor Research. It has a detachable shade to cover the side of my face and neck. The things that differentiate this hat from others with a flowing kind of fabric shade is that 1) the shade actually wraps around the temples of my face and stay there because of where the shade part attaches to the bill of the cap, and 2) the shade part actually has a cord to cinch it in the FRONT of my neck. That part of the hat is usually being blown around on my Columbia hat and my skin winds up being exposed. This doesn’t happen with this Outdoor Research Sun Runner hat.

Hands down, the BEST HAT for fishing in the sun I’ve every owned
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

11. Banned
    Burqa... Dan

If you have a Sam’s Club membership try out the Habit fishing shirts. It’s all I wear these days. The long sleeve shirts are just as cool, and provide just as much sun protection, as my Columbia shirts. $18.00 each.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

13. Member
    I have the same issue and looks like a mummy whenever I go fishing. I found that the Columbia PFG pants are probably the most breathable ones out there. Shirts, Hanes, PFG, & Under Armour all make great shirts. For my face, I use Neutrogena sunscreen and cover it with either a Buff or a hoodie from Glacier Glove. If you hate getting your sunglasses foggy, Breathe like a Fish has descent stuff as well with the shirt and mask built into one.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

14. Member
    I wear the Columbia Boonie hat-not very fashionable but it does cover my neck and most of my face pretty good. I also put a neck gaiter on and between the hat and gaiter my neck stays covered pretty good. I may have to invest in a gaiter with the mouth and nose vents because I can not stand a gaiter up over my mouth--feel like I am suffocating with it over my mouth so I do use sun screen on the parts not covered. I wear Columbia shirts-Aftco shirts that I really like and some sunshirts from Denali that I got off of Amazon that have a 50 rating and I really like them also

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MassBass320v View Post
    I found some Hanes long sleeve moisture wicking spf protection tees on Wal-Mart.com a few years ago for about $8 each. I also wear one of those Mission cooling buffs around my neck, and a Redhead full brim boonie hat. Works for me.
    I found the hanes long sleeve on amazon, they seem to work pretty well for my arms and upper body. I've become cautious of the sun as well so I also got a hat with a flap in the back for my neck (amazon).

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    The clothes will surprise people. Loose and light are cooler than shorts and t-shirts.
    I found this to be true as well. I have several name brands as well of some off brands that are the same material as the high dollar stuff. Here in SWFL our Bealls department store has a HUGE selection of this stuff. If you don't have one near you check their catalog. I have paid as little as $14.00 (on sale) for a long sleeve pull over shirt that is every bit a good as my Columbia shirts.
    Last edited by Garage Dog; 06-13-2018 at 07:20 PM.

17. Banned
    And if visiting Flori-Duh don't forget on Tuesdays those over 50 get extra juice.

Also ReelLegend™ has a shirt/gaiter combo which is usually hidden in the array..

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    And if visiting Flori-Duh don't forget on Tuesdays those over 50 get extra juice.

Also ReelLegend™ has a shirt/gaiter combo which is usually hidden in the array..
    YEP!

20. Member
    Titliest golf hat. Excellent ear and neck coverage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast