Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Not true on a 188 Ranger. Ranger boat company will not put a tire on a boat that can't handle the load rating. The tire rating information is on a information plate permanently fixed to the trailer. I have Z118 Ranger which is 188 replacement. The c rated tires that Ranger installs is rated more than adequate to handle the load. The problem with the ST tires in recent years is more about the poor Chinese construction. I have owned a single axel Ranger since 1989. I sold it in 2012. I ran US made Goodyear C rated Marathons on it from day one and only had one flat tire due to a nail in the sidewall. I have had 3 blowouts on C rated ST tires since 2012. Tires failures were from belt separation due to poor workmanship according to the manufacturer. They were Chinese made. If you run Chinese made tires Discount Tire told me not to keep them on for no more than 3 years max.
    Ranger has no control over what is in the boat. Numbers don't lie. A C rated tire won't handle 3500 pounds on a single axle. Every boat manufacturer sells trailers with the tires on them that aren't rated for real life.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Have been using Kumho's for my single axle.. provides me a lot of safety room.. interested in the Endurance - anyone have the stats on this tire?

I found the stats.. just a little less then the Kumho's.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...partnum=0R4857

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...4END&tab=Specs
    Last edited by CigarBasser; 03-07-2017 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Found info
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Ranger has no control over what is in the boat. Numbers don't lie. A C rated tire won't handle 3500 pounds on a single axle. Every boat manufacturer sells trailers with the tires on them that aren't rated for real life.
    You are right on that point. I have 3 size 27 batteries, power poles, hydraulic jackplate and a Yamaha F150 hanging on the back of my Ranger Z118. Front compartments full of tackle. Had my boat weighed on official truck scales and I was well below the 3500 lb capacity. I think I did not have a full tank of fuel which would be around 35 gallons I think. So Im comfortable running C rated tires on my boat because I know Im below the 3500 lbs. I guess I can't speak for other peoples boat.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You are right on that point. I have 3 size 27 batteries, power poles, hydraulic jackplate and a Yamaha F150 hanging on the back of my Ranger Z118. Front compartments full of tackle. Had my boat weighed on official truck scales and I was well below the 3500 lb capacity. I think I did not have a full tank of fuel which would be around 35 gallons I think. So Im comfortable running C rated tires on my boat because I know Im below the 3500 lbs. I guess I can't speak for other peoples boat.
    Read what I said in my very first post in this thread. Weigh it so you know.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Saw that CatFan. Weighing is the only sure way to know. As much crap I got on my boat and carry in the rod lockers, I don't see how you could get a Z118 over the 3500 lbs unless a couple of fat asses like me were in the boat when it was weighed. Don't know about other boat brands. I have always owned a Ranger.

6. Member
    Saw that CatFan. Weighing is the only sure way to know. As much crap I got on my boat and carry in the rod lockers, I don't see how you could get a Z118 over the 3500 lbs unless a couple of fat asses like me were in the boat when it was weighed. Don't know about other boat brands. I have always owned a Ranger.
    Do you remember what your weight was? I have very little tackle and Rods in my 188vs. Only have 6 rods and enough tackle that fits in a co-angler bag.

7. Member
    Where are you guys getting your boat and trailer weighed?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattorschell View Post
    Where are you guys getting your boat and trailer weighed?
    I drove thru the weigh scale at the local dump on the way back from Saguaro Lake. I think it was like $6 to get it weighed.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmoto View Post
    I drove thru the weigh scale at the local dump on the way back from Saguaro Lake. I think it was like $6 to get it weighed.
    I did the same thing in Texas. Went to an official truck scale.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattorschell View Post
    Do you remember what your weight was? I have very little tackle and Rods in my 188vs. Only have 6 rods and enough tackle that fits in a co-angler bag.
    It was under 3000 lbs. Cant remember the exact weight.

11. Banned
    It was under 3000 lbs. Cant remember the exact weight.
    Was that the whole thing? did you drop trailer? or was that an axle weight?

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Was that the whole thing? did you drop trailer? or was that an axle weight?
    That's what I was wondering too.

Also, it's not necessarily the weight of the trailer that I worried about with LRC tires, it was the inadequate speed rating of 65mph that got me looking at LRD tires. I drive about 180 miles round trip on I-35 to get to the lake. If you're not going 70 to 75 out there, you're getting run over.

Oh yeah....whoever said that Goodyear Marathon tires were good in 2006 must not have owned any. Here's is the last Goodyear tire I will ever buy. Came on my 06 Nitro 591 with a production date of 5/06. This picture was taken in the spring of '07, barely a year after I bought the boat.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

13. Member
    Based on my calculated weight, I would have sworn my Phoenix 618 total boat and trailer would have been 2800 to 3200. Then a guy on the Phoenix board measured just the rear axle weight at 3250 meaning the total rig weight was roughly 3500. What I can say factually is this- 3500 on a load C tire is pushing it to 100%. That the tire was rated for 65mph when fully inflated. I can share the rolling resistance of my rig is now less with a 65psi Load D tire mounted and it tows with less bounce.

What I can say based on 15 year of owning a 19'6 Ranger with single. Blowouts are ugly. I've had 4. All were above 65mph and always on the interstate. Every tire was more then 3 years old. I'm certain I exceeded total load rating of my Load C Ranger factory installed tires.

Your use may vary and as they say I wish you Gods Speed. Any tire can blow. Knowingly taking a risk is not something I want to do.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

I have the Maxxis trailer tires and I am very pleased with them.
    Always "Huntin" the IA Bass!

Boat: Nitro Z7
    Primary Propulsion Unit: 200 Optimax ProXS
    Vertical Depth Propulsion Adjustment: 8" Bobs Action Jack
    Underwater Surveillance: Solix10 G2 Console & Solix10 G1 Bow
    Anchoring: Powerpole, Ultrex Spot Lock
    Dynamic Positioning System: Ultrex i-pilot Link

15. Smallmouth Junkie!
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

16. Member
    The endurance are what I have been running and I really like them. Trailer runs great.

17. Mike Lamb
    good info
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

18. Member
    Agree. When I had my old Champ (single axle) I purchased the Maxxis M8008. It's a beast of a tire. I had 15" rims and purchased the 225/75R15 (80lbs max psi).

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-122-st-radial-m8008

Quote Originally Posted by einsteins View Post
    I have the Maxxis trailer tires and I am very pleased with them.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ93 View Post
    Agree. When I had my old Champ (single axle) I purchased the Maxxis M8008. It's a beast of a tire. I had 15" rims and purchased the 225/75R15 (80lbs max psi).

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-122-st-radial-m8008
    Maxxis makes a D rated tire in the 8008 and a beefier tire called the Bravo. I am running the 8008 d rated 15 inch on a single axle 19 ft Champ trailer and love them. All of my friends have switched also. Three years use now and I will be buying a set of the Bravo for next year to try.

Bought a 2016 and had marathon on it, switched out to Goodyear endurance due to Higher weight rated. Noticed lot less bounce with the single axle trailer and they ride great.
    2016 Skeeter Tzx190 Yamaha 175 SHO

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast