Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipe Rat View Post
    I cant seem to download the Onix patch file 2.720. My computer is asking me what app I want to open the file with. I had no problem downloading and installing the 2.7 Onix software update. Any ideas?
    "X" are International Versions with more languages, meet CTICK standards, etc that allow them to be sold internationally.
    --

http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/

BASS Central Open- Competitive Bass Angler and Humminbird Guru
    Visit my website to learn about my sponsor's products, fishing tips and techniques.

Learn More About Humminbird Side Imaging Visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaginggroup/

2. Member
    I just ordered 2 onix 8 ct si units that will be here Monday . I can't wait to get these hooked up and going. But I have a couple of questions.
    1. My boat a 2013 fx21 has a built in shoot through the hull transducer for 2d sonar. Will this work with the Onix unit?? If so, do I need any adapter or anything??

2. My trolling motor has a built in transducer. I have a Minn Kota fortrex, will this transducer work with the onix? Answer will it need any special adapter ???

3. If I download the new software, assuming it isn't already on the units, will these above mentioned transducers work with the chirp sonar??

4. What cable do I need to link the 2 onix units together? Is it the same cable as the core units??

Thank you for your help and support... That is what makes this place rock!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter james View Post
    I just ordered 2 onix 8 ct si units that will be here Monday . I can't wait to get these hooked up and going. But I have a couple of questions.
    1. My boat a 2013 fx21 has a built in shoot through the hull transducer for 2d sonar. Will this work with the Onix unit?? If so, do I need any adapter or anything??

2. My trolling motor has a built in transducer. I have a Minn Kota fortrex, will this transducer work with the onix? Answer will it need any special adapter ???

3. If I download the new software, assuming it isn't already on the units, will these above mentioned transducers work with the chirp sonar??

4. What cable do I need to link the 2 onix units together? Is it the same cable as the core units??

Thank you for your help and support... That is what makes this place rock!!!

1. Depends on what sonar brand transducer you have for shoot-thru now.

2. If you are going to use the SI transducer on the trolling, you won't use the US2

3. The built-in CHIRP uses the standard transducer-- no hardware change.

4. Same Ethernet cable--AS EC 20 E is the 20' version.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

1. If it's a Humminbird CORE unit transducer, then an AD 1429 adaptor will allow the Onix to connect to it. Then a AS 14 SIDB Y cable will be needed to run both the in hull and NEW Onix SI transducer. You can then mount the new SI ducer up and out of harms way.

2. Someone else will answer.

3. Yes to CHIRP

4. You need the correct length of Ethernet cable. Example: AS EC 20e is the 20 footer. They are available in 2, 10, 15, 20.

Let us know if you need anything else.
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    Humminbird
    HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N CHO at bow
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link
    Dual Power Pole Blades

5. Member
    Thank you guys for your help and knowledge... That's exactly why I ask my questions here....

6. Member
    Can i make my keypad buttons light up while using them? I was outside toying with the unit in pitch dark and the buttons wouldn't light up. They do when I turn it on and at other times but I was sitting in the boat studying maps and the buttons weren't lighting up. I've looked in settings but can't find anything.

Push the Power button, turn on Night Mode and then turn it off.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    I'm asking for help before buying the wrong thing. I'm looking to buy an Onyx 10 CI SI NT, can I rig this to be able to use it while up and running and if so what transducer will in need. Any help would be appreciated. Also does anyone know of a good person for installation in Alabama?
    Last edited by db_hud; 01-24-2017 at 01:33 PM. Reason: to add

9. Member
    "Up and running"? Does this mean while on plane? If so then yes. Depending on your boat would depend if you could a use a shoot thru.

Quote Originally Posted by db_hud View Post
    I'm asking for help before buying the wrong thing. I'm looking to buy an Onyx 10 CI SI NT, can I rig this to be able to use it while up and running and if so what transducer will in need. Any help would be appreciated. Also does anyone know of a good person for installation in Alabama?
    It's no different than any other sonar unit, you need water contact for the transducer to get depth at speed. That can be a properly installed transom transducer or a shoot-thru in the bilge if you hull is suitable for that installation type.

For SI units and shoot-thru takes the SI transducer on the transom and another transducer in the bilge for shoot-thru. The two transducers connected to the display with a Y cable. Getting the shoot-thru installed properly is the key.

The shoot-thru can be the one made for ONIX units, or one that you already have installed used with a Humminbird or Lowrance unit. Just need adapters to use the non-ONIX one.

The ONIX shoot-thru is XP 14 20
    The ONIX Y cable is AS 14 SI DB Y
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    I have an onix 10 CI SI bought it back in May 2014. Have the latest and greatest software update loaded and have been having issues off and on with the depth not showing up. I can see the bottom using the screen but digital depth is not there and sometimes bottom goes away and just verticle lines on the screen. I have a XP 14 20 with the hummminbird AS 14 SI DB Y cable along with the transducer that came with the unit. does anyone have the same issues? I can restore my defaults and unit works great for a while but then goes back to having issues. I also am running a deep cycle battery just for this unit due to it shutting down all of the time when I would run it to a trolling motor battery or my cranking battery.

Quote Originally Posted by froggin67 View Post
    I have an onix 10 CI SI bought it back in May 2014. Have the latest and greatest software update loaded and have been having issues off and on with the depth not showing up. I can see the bottom using the screen but digital depth is not there and sometimes bottom goes away and just verticle lines on the screen. I have a XP 14 20 with the hummminbird AS 14 SI DB Y cable along with the transducer that came with the unit. does anyone have the same issues? I can restore my defaults and unit works great for a while but then goes back to having issues. I also am running a deep cycle battery just for this unit due to it shutting down all of the time when I would run it to a trolling motor battery or my cranking battery.
    Anyone can have an issue with a shoot-thru, so I suggest you disconnect the Y cable and connect just the SI transducer and see if you get the same results. That will let you know if the transducer is the issue or the unit itself.

If the SI transducer does OK, you may want to remove it, test it, then either re-install or replace it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Thanks Wayne, I will give it a shot tomorrow.

Thanks Wayne, I will give it a shot tomorrow.
    One more thing you can test is connecting the shoot-thru directly to the unit to verify that the Y cable is not the issue.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Also be aware that the "Depth" is a separate setting from the transducer used on an Onix. Here is a pic that shows where the setting is made. Set Depth (1) to the transducer you want.

I always turn auto-config off and force the unit to use the transducer that I want.

Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Humminbird
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Power Pole Blades

16. Member
    I was also wondering if I could be getting cross talk between the 2 transducers seeing how my SI / DI was mounted on the transom step and the in hull is mounted in bilge area right in front of were the plug goes.

I was also wondering if I could be getting cross talk between the 2 transducers seeing how my SI / DI was mounted on the transom step and the in hull is mounted in bilge area right in front of were the plug goes.
    Physically impossible since you just have one 2D sonar source. The 2D crystal in the SI transducer is not connected using a Y cable.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Member
    Jimmy, when I go to the data source, there is no choice in transducers. Just none.

Jimmy, when I go to the data source, there is no choice in transducers. Just none.
    Then you absolutely need to do what Wayne talked about above and test the SI/DI and the glassed in 2D each without the Y cable so we can determine what's not working.
    Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Humminbird
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Power Pole Blades

20. Member
    Had head up rear. Was trying to adjust data source out of water. Once I got on the water, it showed 2D transducer (Lost). I selected that and it worked. The only thing I noticed was when I get about 3.5 foot of water, it goes away. When I get deeper than about 3.5 foot of water, it comes back. Is this normal? I have had humminbird units before read shallower.

Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast