Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I bought an older, simpler car as a daily. 1987 Camaro V-6 with a 5 speed. Easy to fix, no personal property tax, and $120/year to insure. Was $1000.

Only use the truck to tow the boat these days. Big reason I bought the Camaro. Keeping miles off the truck is my biggest priority.
    Wishing I was Fishing

Seriously thank you for all of the replies! I have a ton of miles on my tundra already (177k) and she's pretty much paid for. I can see the benefits of having just the truck at this point or possibly having the commuter car. After reading I'm tempted to keep the truck until dies and then get a new truck and a beater commuter at that time. Lots of things going through my head right now on this one!!

Again keep the comments coming and thank you!

3. Banned
    If you don't have the 'gotta have a new truck every few years' complex and drive a lot of miles just for work it's definitely the way to go.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    Yes but you also have maintenance on the car, insurance and all the other stuff on top of the initial cost. If you spend a few grand on a second vehicle and carry insurance it will take quite a bit of time to recoup all of that cost. At some point it would be beneficial but it would take some time to get there. Keeping the cost of the second car low is very key to how it all washes out.
    You do realize that you're only driving them one at a time, right?

5. Member
    My work car is a Chevy Cruze. 30 mpg city/ hwy.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    Seriously thank you for all of the replies! I have a ton of miles on my tundra already (177k) and she's pretty much paid for. I can see the benefits of having just the truck at this point or possibly having the commuter car. After reading I'm tempted to keep the truck until dies and then get a new truck and a beater commuter at that time. Lots of things going through my head right now on this one!!

Again keep the comments coming and thank you!

I know with my 70 mile roundtrip to work, I put about 15,000 miles on the commuter car each year....the truck now only gets about 10,000 miles or less put on it each year with my fishing and hunting trips.

I can hold onto a truck for a very long time putting less than 10,000 miles a year on it.

7. Member
    I had a Ford Focus and a geo metro that I use to commute with. The geo was awesome on gas and it only took $15 to fill it up. Timing belt went out on me a couple weeks ago now I’m driving my truck 60 miles every day and cussing every time I have to put gas in it. That metro wasn’t pretty but my ego is just fine with driving a hoopty

8. Banned
    Lots of cute choices mentioned and most of them would be fine for city driving. For the highway and interstate cruise to work, you could not beat the Park Avenue Ultra with the supercharged 3800.

9. Member
    We bought a 2001 Honda civic about 8 years ago. Had 107k on it then. Caught it on a deal for $3500. I rolled over 344k today on a 400 mile trip. Insurance is $160 year and tag is 40 a year. We drive this thing everywhere. 36-38mpg. It definitely helped us. Glad that I didn't have to those 240k plus miles on our 04 tahoe. Our tahoe now only has 150k and it awesome shape. Will be great truck for our son in 5 years. When the civic dies, i will find another run around car.

I'm definitely thinking about just riding this out for a year until I get a new tundra then get a beater at that point. All of these replies have definitely helped me a out a lot!

Go with a Prius. My wife has one. I'm 6'1" 275 and I have no problems with it. Hers is still running strong @265K miles. Battery had to be replaced at 185K miles
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

12. Member
    My sister-in-law can afford any car she wants, she's rather affluent. She drives a Prius, been driving one for 10 years.

Get a Camry. I have 2012 with 150K and it still drives like it is brand new. Brakes, tires and oil changes are all I have had done to that car.

14. Member
    My work beater is a 2000 Saturn SL2 with 247,000 miles on it. My truck sits at home during the week and gets used on the weekend to tow the boat or do any kind of work that needs done.

Corolla or Camry, are the most reliable and less costly to work on, IMO. Altimas are nice and affordable if the CVT transmission doesn't fail. I'd prefer to drive my Altima than my Sierra. Easier to maneuver, park, and it doesn't upset me near as much picking up parking lot dings. I get 34 mpg compared to 17 in my Sierra. Liability insurance shouldn't add much to your policy. There is no need to put commuter miles on trucks that cost $45K.

16. Member
    I drive 116 mile round trip daily, Im driving a 2003 Toyota Rav4 while my F150 stays in the garage! I’m 6’3” , 210lbs and I don’t have any complaints with the size of the vehicle.....
    Last edited by Thermodude; 06-14-2018 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    You do realize that you're only driving them one at a time, right?
    What does driving one at a time have to do with anything? If his fuel costs are up, spending several grand to save a couple of bucks a day hardly ever works out to the good. He still has to buy the second car, insure it and pay taxes on it every year regardless of which one he is driving. If you have it all figured out, do the math and tell us how many years he would need to own the second car to reach the break even point.

I only drive 25 round trip to work and back and average 15k miles per year. I tow 25 miles round trip whenever I go fishing. Every trip I take to my camp is 220 miles round trip plus miles riding around looking for deer and turkeys. The math never works out for me to have a 2nd car to save miles on my truck when you factor in the cost of the car, insurance, registration, inspection, maintenance and snow tires if driven in the winter. I would never be caught dead owning a Prius or a Focus to save miles on my truck, I don't have the mentality to be one of those people! Ya, you know what I mean!!

I have one vehicle and it is a truck. I always get an ARE cap when I buy a new truck. I keep tools, etc in the back that I need when I go to my camp as I don't leave any tools there. I didn't buy my truck to be a garage queen, I buy them to drive daily and use as a truck when needed. I'll drive it for 4 to 5 years and then buy another new truck. If I won the lottery and money was no object, I'd buy a fun car to drive for the hell of it, and still have a truck.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

19. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    Toyota Rav4 ??? tiny truck- very uncomfortable to drive long distance for Bigger guy.(chick truck-or girly suv)...Get yourself a Buick SUV- super gas mileage 20+, comfortable(get one loaded -I buy all my SUV's with sunroof and leather- get all the bells), 4x4 option for Wisconsin weather, super dependable. Dude >used luxury doesn't cost any more than a simple option car/truck(maybe $300 or so). You will be in a better mood and enjoy your ride, you get something that you deserve and is very Comfortable. You will have to do a little Internet shopping to find a nice clean, low mileage value Suv but you will be happy in the long run.

20. Member
    Man card may be revoked. I drive a little Honda Civic to work. 33ish mpg. Car has had a motor/trans swap to a twin cam from overseas. It’s peppy for a work car. Only use the Tahoe on weekends nowadays.
    Resurrected 1989 Bass Tracker Tournament V/Johnson 50hp/Helix 9 Mega SI/Helix 7 DI

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast