Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Great transom saver debate

Now I am a firm believer in a standard transom saver that ends up on trailer roller, what are pros and cons of each.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

2. Member
    I like the traditional style also and it would be hard to convince me otherwise.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Without the transom saver, the outboard is like a large pipe wrench clamped on the transom with a weight on the end that’s free to bounce up and down. Far more force than the transom sees from the outboard in the water. The only real question is whether the transom is strong enough to handle the bouncing long-term without damage.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Yup, the ones that don't go it trailer scare me. Always thought the ones that just work off of motor bracket just protects the hydraulics, my opinion
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

5. Member
    The one I have is called a extreme max, have to replace rubber especially if u have a sportmaster...
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Tried and true trailer mounted version for me

I've been behind way to many boats just to watch the motor bouncing down the road with the new style and Michigan has some nasty roads
    "The handicapped angler"

7. Member
    What does the boat manufacturer recommend ? That should give you your answer, mine came from the factory with the bracket brace.

8. Member
    Well actually, dealer told me main reason are the bracket brace is easier to get…
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

9. Member
    I made a aluminum one, went to roller, had to brace it because it bent. Told me that the thing has some ridiculous pressures it has to deal with, then I bought a extreme max
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

10. Member
    Oh boy, these threads usually lead to tears and name calling haha. I have the DD-26 style, I honestly don’t know if it’s superior, the trailer transmitting forces to the motor theory makes sense to me. I think either style are fine in reality.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

11. Member
    They do lol, but good curiosity
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

12. Member
    Only concern I have ever had, with like the DD26 style, they make super products, those transmit all forces to transom and bolts. Like the one I made, it bent due to all forces at work. Now I believe trailer construction plays a large factor, aka bouncing and how well the boats center of gravity is placed over tires. A spread axle trailer would improve that. I did install the dexter wet bolt and rubber equalizer on mine, it helped a ton, but still causes a ton of pressure to be transmitted through transom support. All those forces will be on bolts, jackplate and engine bracket otherwise
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Do a search. It has been beat to death. I use the motor toter type. The outboard is under way more stress running down the lake. Pick one and use it. You will be fine either way.

Answer me this, if the type that goes to the trailer is so much better support, why are some versions made with a shock absorber built into it? Wouldn’t that cause the “pipe wrench” effect too? Why do so many, if not all saltwater boats with 2-6 motors not require a support on each motor? Typically there is not ANY support. Last question, All I ever used on my late 1980s and 1990s Hydrasports bass boats was the built in flip down support on the Evinrude/Johnson motors. I towed thousands of miles each year and never had a transom issue. Hydrasports are known to have weak transoms so how did I get so lucky?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Do a search. It has been beat to death. I use the motor toter type. The outboard is under way more stress running down the lake. Pick one and use it. You will be fine either way.

Answer me this, if the type that goes to the trailer is so much better support, why are some versions made with a shock absorber built into it? Wouldn’t that cause the “pipe wrench” effect too? Why do so many, if not all saltwater boats with 2-6 motors not require a support on each motor? Typically there is not ANY support. Last question, All I ever used on my late 1980s and 1990s Hydrasports bass boats was the built in flip down support on the Evinrude/Johnson motors. I towed thousands of miles each year and never had a transom issue. Hydrasports are known to have weak transoms so how did I get so lucky?
    A shock in the arm doesn’t say much. People just don’t understand physics, which is easy to see with the people who want shock absorbers on their trailers.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Oh boy, these threads usually lead to tears and name calling haha.
    Yeah, op forgot the on his post. What is the ****search**** button used for again?

16. Member
    I understand physics, plus below search is just fine, main thing I see is a trailer that center of gravity of the boat is better designed. A spread axle will probably improve that tremendously. If trailer was rigid it be great also I would think. As with mine I have to tie down nose to prevent movement, I don’t want shock absorbers on a trailer, heck I would love air ride or torsion axles.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

17. Member
    Transoms on saltwater rigs fail also, plus they are mega strong. I saw one redone with four 300s on it, it was solid glass, no core, hit something offshore and kilt it
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Quote Originally Posted by DewRonInc View Post
    Well actually, dealer told me main reason are the bracket brace is easier to get…

Skeeters have been coming with the new style for years now. I have used the newer ones for 15 years or so. Still waiting for the first issue with them.

19. Member
    Today’s transoms are extremely strong. Even when hitting something at high speeds it usually rips the motor off and throws it in the boat. Imagine the force the transom took in a hit like that!
    I believe the name transom saver came from long ago when they were designed with wood and glass.
    Those days are long gone.
    If driving down a bumpy road is going to crack your transom, you probably need to stay off the water.

I use the Motor Mate for years on Lousiana roads and have had zero issues.
    It also locks the motor and keeps it from moving side to side thru the steering cylinder.

Either type will do the job just fine. Pick you choice. With today’s transoms and motors, not much to debate.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I like the traditional style also and it would be hard to convince me otherwise.
    Same here. Got use to them years ago, and hate change. So stuck with it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast