Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question for the old guys with worn out bodies

So I have owned many a bass boat in my 56 years of age. Skeeter (2), Ranger(2) Bass Cat (2) and Viper (not in that order). I have multiple buldging disk in my lower back, just had my left knee replace and will probably have my right knee replaced in the next couple of months. I have been looking for a new "bass boat for a worn out old man" for after I recover from surgery but I am having issues finding one that will work. Keep in mind I don't own any stock in any brand, so band-loyalty is not an issue. I have looked hard at the Bass Cat Lynx (love their quality, customer service and trailers), but the small step up to the front deck is a no-go for me. Their Jaguar is out of my price range. Looked at the Phoenix 21 PHX, but cannot get past the fact that the trailer appears to be a POS, the front deck flexes and squeaks and the glass work is unacceptable. The new Skeeter FXR is an option, but I know 2 buddies that have recently purchased one and they have had multiple quality issues with both boat and trailers. Nitros have the same trailer issues as Phoenix which is a deal breaker, but their boats look OK (much improved from a few years ago). Vexus are just ridiculous expensive but their overall quality looks really good with their glass boats.

I want a bass boat, not a multi-species boat. i have to have a smooth dry ride in 2 foot waves state (I stay home when it's worse than that). 21' ft minimum length. Speed is fun but is now down the list of "wants". Quality needs to be such that I don't have to fix stuff right after I buy the boat (this rules out Ranger and Skeeter in my mind). I don't want to wait 9 months for a build (rules out Ballistic).

I know this will stir up a hornets nest of opinions which is OK. Any old "broke-dick" guys like me out their with late model boats they are happy with?

2. Member
    How about a custom wheelchair with pontoons attached

Get the Lynx and put a trick step on it if the Basscat step is too small.
    2019 Vexus AVX 2080
    Evinrude G2 200
    Bobs Hyd. Jackplate, Dual power poles
    Aluminum trailer, polyurea flooring

4. Member
    Not sure why you think your going to have quality issues with a Ranger, unless you believe everything you read on here. I am 65 and have had numerous Rangers including my new 520c. Quality is as good or better than ever. I fish a lot and have had no issues. Cant speak to the other brands as I have never owned or been in one. I would think you would like the SRS seats in a Ranger and I agree on the steps. Remember nothing you buy is not going to be without some minor issue. I spend a fair amount of time on the Finger Lakes in New York and believe me they can get rough.

5. Member
    I have owned several different 21 foot boats and they all have their pluses and minuses.....For just overall comfort (fishing and moving around boat), I’d go Ranger. Ive never been in a Lynx but currently own a Bass Cat and love the boat so I would definitely sit in or test ride one for comparison.

6. Member
    Go look at a Caymas!!

7. Member
    I sold my Ranger 521 and went to an Alweld 1856 stick steer. It's dry & stable, but when the chop is over a foot just slow down & keep the bow up and you'll get where ever you want to go. I fish two circuits with this rig and my 82 year old partner and I do pretty well against the young guys. There is an improved version of my rig out now with a 90 on it, if you go to youtube and search for "ultimate panfish boat" you'll find it. If I could fit it in my garage I'd upgrade. I miss my Ranger sometimes, but the safety & comfort of my rig makes me glad I can keep fishing for a long time to come.
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

8. Member
    I am 59 and beat up also,you might look at the XRS Bullet. It has a bigger step and the seats have a spring assist in them for a pretty good ride and its a 21 ft 10 in boat.

9. Member
    21' Allison. Best rough water ride out there. But I don't like how high it sits on a trailer, making it harder to launch alone.
    Most of the big brand names ride too rough, even though their owners swear how good they ride.

I'm in the same boat. Body worn out. I've owned 16 boat by numerous manufacturers. Looked at them all, went with a Lynx. Best decision I feel I could make. Feel free to IM me any questions.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

Aggie Bass,

let us inject that you should consider our new Hybrid 203 hull from your description. It fits either the Cougar FTD or the Puma FTD decks and we think from your description of your wants. Also in this world today 56 “ain’t” old anymore, wore out maybe, old it is not. We sell several to folks in their 70’s and even a few in their 80’s.

Enjoying it while they can!

BCB

12. Member
    I have bad arthritis in both knees. I bought a Lynx this year and was worried about the step. It has been no problem at all. I just put my hand on the wind shield when I’m going down the step. I have owned 5 Rangers previously. The last was a Z521C. The Lynx rough water ride is so much better. The quality and materials are top notch.

13. Banned
    I know you said you didn't want a multi species boat, but if I had that kind of back and knee issues, I'd sure be looking at a bay boat. A lot of those have a slightly deeper V for a better ride. An extra foot or two of length will definitely give you a better ride. Most have a high deck that you can walk all the way around from front to back with no up and down. And you may find standing/ leaning to drive to be much more comfortable. Most bass boats have low seating and that's going to magnify knee/ back problems throughout the day.

14. Banned
    Charger 210, it’s not 21’; but it’s 20’10”. Won’t find many better rough water rigs and it’s an “old man’s” boat.

15. Member
    Lund 2075

16. Member
    I don't think there is any other solutions than a little smaller boat, probably a v hull aluminum. Sometimes 21feet of glass with a 250 can be a hand full at the dock.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieBass View Post
    I want a bass boat, not a multi-species boat. i have to have a smooth dry ride in 2 foot waves state (I stay home when it's worse than that). 21' ft minimum length.

I know this will stir up a hornets nest of opinions which is OK. Any old "broke-dick" guys like me out their with late model boats they are happy with?
    I'm gonna leave my broke dick out of it but I have 13 years on you, a piece of my hip bone in my neck, 2 titanium rods with 4 screws in my back and 3 years ago joined the zipper club (heart bypass). I recommend finding a good Legend Alpha 211. Some say the best riding rough water boat. I don't know if this is true, but 2 foot waves pose no problem with my broke-dick body in my Alpha 199. Thanks to Johnny you can't get a new one, but like new ones can be had.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Charger 210, it’s not 21’; but it’s 20’10”. Won’t find many better rough water rigs and it’s an “old man’s” boat.
    I agree

2009 ELITE 210

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KenZ119 View Post
    Not sure why you think your going to have quality issues with a Ranger, unless you believe everything you read on here. I am 65 and have had numerous Rangers including my new 520c. Quality is as good or better than ever. I fish a lot and have had no issues. Cant speak to the other brands as I have never owned or been in one. I would think you would like the SRS seats in a Ranger and I agree on the steps. Remember nothing you buy is not going to be without some minor issue. I spend a fair amount of time on the Finger Lakes in New York and believe me they can get rough.
    Agree.....my 2019 Ranger has been flawless. Buy with confidence
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

20. Member
    I'm 66....Skeeter ZX250

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast