Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lowrance Ghost 1.3 Newest Update

Just an FYI that there is a New update 1.3 on the Lowrance website for the Ghost trolling motor.

No ORBIT still...

Anyway, given Lowrance's unique ability to totally sh$t the bed with updates, I'll wait a few weeks before updating.

4. Member
    I dunno... I have an Xi5 and I have been hesitant to purchase a Ghost simply because it did not have the "Bump Steer" feature. Before this update any attempt to alter heading with the foot pedal would immediately disable heading lock. In the video he mentions the use of heading lock while also utilizing the constant on button. They, heading lock and constant on, are mutually exclusive. However... it might just be a matter of semantics. Previously "Heading lock" provided both direction and the ability to set speed based on a percentage trolling motor power or set speed based on a given mph or faction there of.

The constant on bump steer has always been available but "constant on" and "heading lock" are not the same - or they weren't before this update. Constant on will eventually send you in a complete circle where heading lock will adjust the direction of the motor to maintain a specific heading. So... we'll see.

5. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    You can always slap a waypoint where you want it and then "go to the waypoint" which will keep a specific heading.

6. Member
    Yeah but... if you encounter a stump or some other immovable object and try to "bump steer" around it, it disables navigation. That is the problem that "maybe" this update solves.

7. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    Yeah but... if you encounter a stump or some other immovable object and try to "bump steer" around it, it disables navigation. That is the problem that "maybe" this update solves.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    No ORBIT still...

Anyway, given Lowrance's unique ability to totally sh$t the bed with updates, I'll wait a few weeks before updating.
    LOL. I was thinking the same exact thing.
    21 Phoenix 819 Pro
    21 Mercury Pro XS 200 4 Stroke (3B003279)

9. Member
    Never knew the Ghost motor had an accellerator; frankly this video makes no sense. He says you can change directions by simply pressing the accellerator and you will keep going, but he also says you can easily turn the feature off by pressing the accellerator?
    ciao,
    Marc

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    Never knew the Ghost motor had an accellerator; frankly this video makes no sense. He says you can change directions by simply pressing the accellerator and you will keep going, but he also says you can easily turn the feature off by pressing the accellerator?

That had me scratching my head as well. I wonder if he meant hold it down and turn, but a quick tap would disable it. Definitely not the best video.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    That had me scratching my head as well. I wonder if he meant hold it down and turn, but a quick tap would disable it. Definitely not the best video.
    LOL same here, video was very confusing - it is a cool feature if we can figure out how it actually works. I also assumed "hold and turn" but I can see that being tricky to do. One has to assume since it's already running, hitting the "accellerator" button works as a modifier while the TM is in heading mode so that you can make course adjustments with the pedal. Why he doesn't just call it the momentary button though...

I figured I would just wait for @Basshopper to explain it...

Here's the official text, which explains it better...

Heading / Course adjustments

Course/heading adjustments can be made by pressing and holding the left or right arrows on the trolling menu access panel on compatible Displays/MFDs
    Course/heading adjustments can be made by pressing and holding the momentary button on the trolling motor pedal. Adjust the pedal angle to set the new heading/course and then release the momentary to set the new direction.
    Bug Fixes

Additional alarm codes have been added to make it easier to identify the cause of an issue. For alarm code identification please visit Software and Manuals Downloads | Lowrance USA to reference the new alarm codes in the Ghost® Operator’s Manual.
    Note: After updating, the user will need to reconfigure the trolling motor programmable keys and set the desired stow direction. To configure trolling motor keys and set stow direction, the Ghost® and compatible MFD MUST be connected to an NMEA 2000® network.

13. Member
    Mystery solved. Think I’ll hold off, no service centers around here to fix it when it glitches from the update.

14. Member
    Thank you for the information. I will download the update tomorrow, but likely won't be able to test it out for a couple of weeks due to tournaments.
    ciao,
    Marc

15. Member
    I’ll wait until they get their version references sorted out (1.03 <> 1.3), and the early adopters have had a chance to vet it out.

16. Member
    As I understand it... To alter course/heading one must first press, and hold, a momentary button. THEN you can alter course/heading by changing the angle of the foot pedal. What you can not do is: If you see an obstruction in your path you can not simply tap the foot pedal left/right to avoid the obstruction - gotta press and hold a momentary button first. Kinna like hopping on one foot while rubbing your head and patting your belly. No thanks.

Request: Can someone post a video of themselves pressing(and holding) a momentary switch while altering course/heading by "altering the angle of the foot pedal" and not missing a cast while fishing?

17. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I didn't see the guy in the video above being overly taxed in changing course. Maybe he practised for hours to make it look easy?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    I didn't see the guy in the video above being overly taxed in changing course. Maybe he practised for hours to make it look easy?
    Agreed... I confess to not watching all the video earlier. The problem as I see it. If you accidently hit the foot pedal first - knocks out navigation. And while the guy in the video made it look rather painless. If you are navigating a stump field, as I have many times, making sure to hit, and hold, the momentary before the foot pedal won't be as easy as just hitting the foot pedal. These course corrections I'm talking about take no more than a tap left or right. But you might have to make that move multiple times in just a few seconds. Yeah, changing course because you've reached the back of the cove is one thing. Changing course on a wind blown stump field dodging stumps is something different all together. As you can tell I'm I'm simply not a fan of requiring two steps to preform one function.

19. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Fair enough, I often wish I had more stumps to deal with up my way.

20. Member
    I was excited initially when he mentioned improvements to heading lock, as since day 1 with my ghost I’ve lamented not having capability equivalent to MK autopilot… I agree with the above, this is a miss. Changing pedal angle alone should NOT kick you out of heading lock mode. I don’t want to have to press and hold the momentary button while changing pedal angle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast