Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    Everyone thinks that if there is life in another Galaxy then it has to be smarter and more advanced than the life on our planet. Why? And in all the stories and theory's they are always butt ass naked, skinny as a rail, with big eyes and large heads. Where did that bullshit come from?
    50's and 60's Sci-fi novels and comic books.
    "SEE YOU AT THE TOP"

2. Banned

Both these pre-date the 50's and 60's.

https://listverse.com/2016/04/24/10-...rly-show-ufos/

https://www.google.com/search?q=reli...w=1440&bih=718

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I do not agree with that definition. The word "confirmed" is used in error there. As Drew said, theories are tested but developing hypotheses so that if those hypotheses are supported, the theory is disproven. This process is called Falsification. In actuality, nothing in science can ever be PROVEN. Proving a theory would require that it be tested in every single circumstance to which it applies. That's impossible. It's far more practical to set out to disprove a theory. It only takes one negative case to disprove a theory. However, if after repeated testing with empirical evidence, a theory repeatedly holds up and is not disproven, it becomes the accepted explanation within that field of study, until a new theory that explains what the first theory does, plus more, comes along.

Evolution can not be proven. But, after repeated testing and observation with empirical evidence, it has repeatedly not been disproven. Remember, the simplistic version of what everyday people characterize as "evolution" may light years apart from the complex version that biologists and geneticists know as evolution.
    scientific theory

Word Origin
    See more synonyms on Thesaurus.comnoun
    • a coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experiment or observation:

Here's another one.

The point is as you said science is not exact. There are many theories that are later proven to be false, Yet many accept them as being fact, which was the intent my original statement.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

4. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    If You're going to take Your investigation back to Egypt, check out some hieroglyphs. It also depends on whether the Ankh is in the 'right' hand or 'left' hand.

This is the representation of the Ankh. Now imagine 2 eyeballs in the middle.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankh
    I was a fan of The Artist Formerly Known as Prince too.

6. Member
    All this alien talk reminds me of something... What was that movie years ago that the Aliens land and someone goes to shake his hand.. The Alien pees out of his finger LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    Scientific theory definition

Image: pinterest.com

scientific theory. 1. a coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experiment or observation: the scientific theory of evolution.

Please show me where I can find how evolution was confirmed through experiment or observation.

You can observe evolution every single year when the flu virus mutates and is no longer affected by the previous year's flu shot nor do people who had the flu the previous year have resistance to it. Bacteria that has become resistant to antibiotics is another example. Evolution as a rule is something that takes thousands or millions of years to take place on the scale you're going to come back at me with, but in essence is exactly what we observe in real time as viruses mutate and bacteria become resistant to antibiotics: the members of a population with some desirable trait (for bacteria, for example, that's the ability to not be affected by some antibiotic) are the ones that survive and pass on these traits to their descendants. Then the descendants have that trait and, in the bacteria example, now form an entire population that is not affected by that antibiotic.

If you want it on a human scale, one good example might be the observation that humans on average have become taller over hundreds of years. It's not hard to argue that being tall is often a desirable trait (women all around like tall men), so over time these are the men most likely to "win" a mate and reproduce. Their offspring are more likely to be tall. Over time, the whole population becomes taller. On that note, the types of people having kids now vs those who choose not to makes me worry for the future of mankind, but I digress.

Just because you don't "believe" in something doesn't make it not true. There are countless other examples where evolution can be confirmed via DNA links. Maybe the best example is the link between dinosaurs and our modern day birds. I'm guessing you don't believe in that either, though.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Insects and pesticides are another example of evolution. But those who don't believe in evolution, will probably never believe unless they see a bird turn into a lizard. And even then, they would claim it was a miracle.
    Thanos was the hero

Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Insects and pesticides are another example of evolution. But those who don't believe in evolution, will probably never believe unless they see a bird turn into a lizard. And even then, they would claim it was a miracle.
    Very good example.

One good specific example along these lines I've come across with plants and herbicides is Round Up. Round Up used to kill EVERYTHING. Monsanto started incorporating it into seeds to essentially make seeds their own weed killers and it worked great for a while (forgetting the potential health effects this practice may or may not cause to humans who eventually eat whatever was grown from those seeds). But now there are weeds popping up everywhere that Round Up won't kill. Somewhere along the line, by random chance, some weed wasn't affected by Round Up or at least wasn't as affected. It reproduced, and its "offspring" were also unaffected. Now we have entire species or at least subspecies of weeds that aren't affected by it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

10. Banned

But did You put 2 'ahmond shaped' eyes into the loop?

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    Ancient astronaut Theorists say yes
    The answer to every question asked...

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Very good example.

One good specific example along these lines I've come across with plants and herbicides is Round Up. Round Up used to kill EVERYTHING. Monsanto started incorporating it into seeds to essentially make seeds their own weed killers and it worked great for a while (forgetting the potential health effects this practice may or may not cause to humans who eventually eat whatever was grown from those seeds). But now there are weeds popping up everywhere that Round Up won't kill. Somewhere along the line, by random chance, some weed wasn't affected by Round Up or at least wasn't as affected. It reproduced, and its "offspring" were also unaffected. Now we have entire species or at least subspecies of weeds that aren't affected by it.
    I don't disagree with all aspects of evolution or adaptation, but I don't believe all life evolved from a single celled organism. Different theory, but still. Creationist over here

Both these pre-date the 50's and 60's.

https://listverse.com/2016/04/24/10-...rly-show-ufos/

https://www.google.com/search?q=reli...w=1440&bih=718

Yes, They were.
    However, in those days every civilization believed in a higher power or (A God). Don't believe aliens from outer space were in their thoughts, nor were they being probed as often as
    todays civiization. LOL
    "SEE YOU AT THE TOP"

14. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    All this alien talk reminds me of something... What was that movie years ago that the Aliens land and someone goes to shake his hand.. The Alien pees out of his finger LOL
    Scary Movie 2...I think. Maybe 3.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

• Two very good books that will make your mind wonder regardless of what you believe.

16. Member
    My mind wanders...book or no book
    Hi Mike.

17. Member
    Seems some of the reasoning for evolution would be a better description of adaptation, hence a modifying of a current species. Evolution to me equals the creation of a new species.
    But the fact is, we all believe what we want to believe, for whatever reasons we chose to believe it.

Call it adaptation if you want to, though I'd ordinarily think of adaptation as a behavioral thing. When you stack up a series of these "adaptations" over a long period of time, you get your new species. You get divergence of species with a common ancestor when there's something that separates two members of the same species, usually geography, who are subject to different environmental factors. As I said before, evolution takes thousands or millions of years. If people don't want to believe in it because they can't see it happening right before their eyes, I don't know what to tell them.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

But did You put 2 'ahmond shaped' eyes into the loop?
    I did.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    I did.

Hi Mike.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast