Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Joesephus was not divinely inspired.

I'll back up my comments about "Last Days" on Monday with Scripture. Got to go.

"Sanctify (make holy) them by the truth; Your word is truth." John 17:17

2. Member
    Did I ever say Josephus was inspired?

Was Billy Billy Graham inspired ? Is Benny Hinn , Oral Roberts, John Darby, Tim Lahaye .......................How about Augustine ? Clement ? Poly carp ? Luther ? Ignatius ? Origion ? Jerome ? All of these men have greatly influenced the trajectory of Doctrine in the church today.

Are they inspired ? It certainly doesn't make them inspired but history has shown the influence they have had on what people in the church believe and teach today . Would you agree ?

Would you share your view on Eschatology ? Pre-trib post trib ? millennial or dispensational ? Pre wrath/ mid wrath or post wrath? historic premillennial or amillenniallism ......................ect

That would help us communicate better.

Have a great weekend !

dozer, you make some very interesting points. Did you come to the conclusion yourself that the second coming happened long ago or is there a church or group that led you to that?
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    dozer, you make some very interesting points. Did you come to the conclusion yourself that the second coming happened long ago or is there a church or group that led you to that?
    sd, thank you for the question. Please forgive me for all the mistakes in grammar today (I am not a smart guy LOL and I had surgery today so the anesthesia has got me a little loopy) Its a Long story but I will try to condense it.

I was a teaching pastor for years and was asked to teach a series on the book of Revelation. Since I was kid, through adulthood, I had studied every eschatological position there was and none of them added up. They all had good points of discussion and interest but none passed the mustard with what was written in the bible, or throughout church history including the early church fathers. So I asked the other pastors to give me a few weeks of study before I began to teach the series.

The first and probably most important thing I came across was a lecture series from Dr. R.C. Sproul Sr. It is called the "The Last Days According to Jesus". I highly recommend this series to any student of the Word of God who wants to understand the significance of Eschatology and the problems the church faces today. Agree or disagree, Dr. Sproul is a renowned Theologian and 200 years from now he will go down in history with other great theologians throughout the centuries.

Another great discourse is a book called "Before Jerusalem fell" by Dr. Kenneth Gentry. It was written as his dissertation . This book (400 + pages) discusses the Dating of the Book of Revelation along with understanding the different literary forms contained in Revelation.

After reading and studying the ramifications of these two items, I resigned from my position as bible teacher and spent the next 8 years of life (This does not make my views right ) devoted to studying Eschatology. Over my life, I have read and became very familiar with all of the positions that the church has on the "last things".

As a example, Very few if any church attenders or I might add pastors understand that the Rapture doctrine is a very new teaching. It begin with a charismatic prophet Margret Mcdonald in Europe who had a vision and described in that vision a type of "rapture" doctrine . John Darby and C.I Scofield (Scofield reference bible) visited with Margret McDonald to get her view on what her vision meant. Darby and Scofield took her teaching and ran with it..............brought it across to the Americas and now the vast majority of Christians today because of these events teach, and believe in a doctrine that was invented in early 1800s. You can find no reference to a Rapture in any of the early church fathers writings or during the Reformation times (Martin Luther).

I am not here to change yalls views but only to let you know there are other beliefs that can bring freedom from the Doom and Gloom Theology that is taught today.

If you are interested in studying ..............................there are hundreds of books (I have read them all) on this subject. One of the best sites for beginners or long time students of the bible is Don K. Prestons website : http://www.bibleprophecy.com/home-2/

Have a great evening.

5. Member
    There is not a Old Testament or New Testament passage that someone might quote that would surprise me or trick/trap me. There are no "gotcha" moments that could occur here in this discussion.

If you notice, anytime someone disagrees with any bible passage I have brought up, they avoid that text and try to move on to another to make their point. That is ok, I'm used to that. It proves nothing about their position.

I don't write these things to be disrespectful to the position they take , heck I used to hold their positions for decades.

Good healthy conversations are good for everyone as they learn and grow walking with God.

6. Member
    It has been years since I have listened to R.C. Sproul series "last days according to Jesus" But It seems they are all on youtube nowdays.

Here is the first session :

7. Member
    If you do take the time to listen to the series (the whole series) don't let the first two sessions bore you. Sproul is attempting to show in the first two sessions the historical background of the various attacks on the bible and on Jesus. Lastly the means and the methods people have attempted to use to explain away........................Jesus' failed predictions.

Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    Good healthy conversations are good for everyone as they learn and grow walking with God.
    This is so true. I agree with you about the rapture also, that it is a recent addition to doctrine in some protestant churches. I grew up in the United Methodist Church and the rapture was held to be truth. I am now Lutheran (LCMS) which rejects the rapture doctrine mainly for the reasons you pointed out.
    Thanks for the links, I will take the time to listen and read.

1 Thessalonians 5:19-21 19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not despise prophecies, 21 but test everything; hold fast what is good.

"If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    This is so true. I agree with you about the rapture also, that it is a recent addition to doctrine in some protestant churches. I grew up in the United Methodist Church and the rapture was held to be truth. I am now Lutheran (LCMS) which rejects the rapture doctrine mainly for the reasons you pointed out.
    Thanks for the links, I will take the time to listen and read.

1 Thessalonians 5:19-21 19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not despise prophecies, 21 but test everything; hold fast what is good.

sd, good for you. I was raised in my early years in a Baptist church (mainly dispensational views) after which I attended various denominations throughout the years. I enjoyed them all.

There are over 50,000 Christian denominations as of today..................It is a sad scenario for Christianity. All claim they are led by the spirit. And most quote : But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

Not many people realize that 1 out of every 4 verses in the new testament documents is directly or indirectly speaking about "last things". Even the verse I just quoted above was couched in the context of.......... "what is yet to come".

The so called atheist will say to us believers......................if the Spirit of truth is teaching all of yall and leading yall into all truth, why are there so many contradicting views of the bible ?

10. Member
    Jesus taught his audience and his disciples that He would come back for them shortly, soon, at hand ect.................after Jesus ascended, the apostles began teaching the church and documenting Jesus' own words as they gave historical accounts of what Jesus had taught them about the "last things" and what the spirit was showing them as well. Here are but a few examples of the "nearness" they were teaching in regards to Jesus' second appearing.

. "The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand." (Matt. 3:2)

2. "Who warned you to flee from the wrath about to come?" (Matt. 3:7)

3. "The axe is already laid at the root of the trees." (Matt. 3:10)

4. "His winnowing fork is in His hand." (Matt. 3:12)

5. "The kingdom of heaven is at hand." (Matt. 4:17)

6. "The kingdom of heaven is at hand." (Matt. 10:7)

7. "You shall not finish going through the cities of Israel, until the Son of Man comes." (Matt. 10:23)

8. "....the age about to come." (Matt. 12:32)

9. "The Son of Man is about to come in the glory of His Father with His angels; and will then recompense every man according to his deeds." (Matt. 16:27)

10. "There are some of those who are standing here who shall not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom." (Matt. 16:28; cf. Mk. 9:1; Lk. 9:27)

11. "'When the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those vine-growers?' '....He will bring those wretches to a wretched end, and will rent out the vineyard to other vine-growers, who will pay him the proceeds at the proper seasons.' '....Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you, and be given to a nation producing the fruit of it.' ....When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard His parables, they understood that He was speaking about them." (Matt. 21:40-41,43,45)

12. "This generation will not pass away until all these things take place." (Matt. 24:34)

13. "From now on, you [Caiaphas, the chief priests, the scribes, the elders, the whole Sanhedrin] shall be seeing the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven." (Matt. 26:64; Mk. 14:62; Lk. 22:69)

14. "The kingdom of God is at hand." (Mk. 1:15)

15. "What will the owner of the vineyard do? He will come and destroy the vine-growers, and will give the vineyard to others. ....They [the chief priests, scribes and elders] understood that He spoke the parable against them." (Mk. 12:9,12)

16. "This generation will not pass away until all these things take place.” (Mk. 13:30)

17. “Who warned you to flee from the wrath about to come?” (Lk. 3:7)

18. “The axe is already laid at the root of the trees. " (Lk. 3:9)

19. "His winnowing fork is in His hand…." (Lk. 3:17)

20. “The kingdom of God has come near to you.” (Lk. 10:9)

21. “The kingdom of God has come near.” (Lk. 10:11)

22. “What, therefore, will the owner of the vineyard do to them? He will come and destroy these vine-growers and will give the vineyard to others." …The scribes and the chief priests …understood that He spoke this parable against them.” (Lk. 20:15-16,19)

23. “These are days of vengeance, in order that all things which are written may be fulfilled.” (Lk. 21:22)

24. "This generation will not pass away until all things take place.” (Lk. 21:32)

25. "Daughters of Jerusalem, stop weeping for Me, but weep for yourselves and for your children. For behold, the days are coming when they will say, 'Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bore, and the breasts that never nursed.' Then they will begin to say to the mountains, 'Fall on us,' and to the hills, 'Cover us.'” (Lk. 23:28-30; Compare Rev. 6:14-17)

26. "We were hoping that He was the One who is about to redeem Israel.” (Lk. 24:21)

27. "I will come to you. …In that Day you shall know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.' …'Lord, what then has happened that You are about to disclose Yourself to us, and not to the world?'" (Jn. 14:18,20,22)

28. "If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you?" (Jn. 21:22)

29. “This is what was spoken of through the prophet Joel: 'And it shall be in the last days…'” (Acts 2:16-17)

30. “He has fixed a day in which He is about to judge the world in righteousness…” (Acts 17:31)

31. “There is about to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.” (Acts 24:15)

32. “As he was discussing righteousness, self-control and the judgment about to come…" (Acts 24:25)

33. “Not for [Abraham's] sake only was it written, that [faith] was reckoned to him [as righteousness], but for our sake also, to whom it is about to be reckoned.” (Rom. 4:23-24)

34. “If you are living according to the flesh, you are about to die.” (Rom. 8:13)

35. “I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is about to be revealed to us.” (Rom. 8:18)

36. "It is already the hour for you to awaken from sleep; for now salvation is nearer to us than when we believed. The night is almost gone, and the day is at hand." (Rom. 13:11-12)

37. “The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.” (Rom. 16:20)

38. “The time has been shortened.” (I Cor. 7:29)

39. “The form of this world is passing away.” (I Cor. 7:31)

40. “Now these things …were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.” (I Cor. 10:11)

41. “We shall not all fall sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed.” (I Cor. 15:51-52)

42. "Maranatha!" [The Lord comes!] (I Cor. 16:22)

43. "...not only in this age, but also in the one about to come.” (Eph. 1:21)

44. “The Lord is near.” (Phil. 4:5)

45. "The gospel …was proclaimed in all creation under heaven." (Col. 1:23; Compare Matt. 24:14; Rom. 10:18; 16:26; Col. 1:5-6; II Tim. 4:17; Rev. 14:6-7; cf. I Clement 5,7)

46. “…things which are a shadow of what is about to come.” (Col. 2:16-17)

47. “…we who are alive, and remain until the coming of the Lord… …We who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds… …You, brethren, are not in darkness, that the Day should overtake you like a thief.” (I Thess. 4:15,17; 5:4)

48. “May your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (I Thess. 5:23)

49. “It is only just for God to repay with affliction those who afflict you, and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire.” (II Thess. 1:6-7)

50. “Godliness …holds promise for the present life and that which is about to come.” (I Tim. 4:8)

51. “I charge you …that you keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (I Tim. 6:14)

52. “…storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for that which is about to come, so that they may take hold of that which is life indeed.” (I Tim. 6:19)

53. “In the last days difficult times will come. For men will be lovers of self… …Avoid these men. For of these are those who enter into households and captivate weak women… …These also oppose the truth… …But they will not make further progress; for their folly will be obvious to all…” (II Tim. 3:1-2,5-6,8-9)

54. “I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is about to judge the living and the dead…” (II Tim. 4:1)

55. “God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son.” (Heb. 1:1-2)

56. “Are they not all ministering spirits, sent out to render service for the sake of those who are about to inherit salvation?” (Heb. 1:14)

57. “He did not subject to angels the world about to come.” (Heb. 2:5)

58. “…and have tasted …the powers of the age about to come.” (Heb. 6:5)

59. "For ground that drinks the rain which often falls upon it and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God; but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and near a curse, and it's end is for burning.” (Heb. 6:7-8)

60. “When He said, 'A new covenant,' He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.” (Heb. 8:13)

61. “The Holy Spirit is signifying this, that the way of the [heavenly] Holy Places has not yet been revealed, while the outer tabernacle is still standing, which is a symbol for the present time. Accordingly both gifts and sacrifices are offered which cannot make the worshiper perfect in conscience, since they relate only to food and drink and various washings, regulations for the body imposed until a time of reformation.” (Heb. 9:8-10; Compare Gal. 4:19; Eph. 2:21-22; 3:17; 4:13)

62. “But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things about to come…” (Heb. 9:11)

63. “Now once at the consummation of the ages He has been manifested to put away sin.” (Heb. 9:26)

64. “For the Law, since it has only a shadow of the good things about to come…” (Heb. 10:1)

65. “…as you see the Day drawing near.” (Heb. 10:25)

66. “…the fury of a fire which is about to consume the adversaries.” (Heb. 10:27)

67. “For yet in a very little while, He who is coming will come, and will not delay.” (Heb. 10:37)

68. “For here we do not have a lasting city, but we are seeking the one that is about to come.” (Heb. 13:14)

69. "Speak and so act, as those who are about to be judged by the law of liberty." (Jms. 2:12)

70. “Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries which are coming upon you. …It is in the last days that you have stored up your treasure!” (Jms. 5:1,3)

71. “Be patient, therefore, brethren, until the coming of the Lord.” (Jms. 5:7)

72. “You too be patient; strengthen your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand.” (Jms. 5:8)

73. “…salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.” (I Peter 1:5)

74. “He …has appeared in these last times for the sake of you.” (I Peter 1:20)

75. “They shall give account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.” (I Peter 4:5)

76. “The end of all things is at hand; therefore, be of sound judgment and sober spirit for the purpose of prayer.” (I Peter 4:7)

77. "For it is time for judgment to begin with the household of God.” (I Peter 4:17)

78. “…as your fellow elder and witness of the sufferings of Christ, and a partaker also of the glory that is about to be revealed.” (I Peter 5:1)

79. “We have the prophetic word …which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the Day dawns and the morning star arises in your hearts.” (II Peter 1:19)

80. “Their judgment from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.” (II Peter 2:3)

81. “In the last days mockers will come. …For this they willingly are ignorant of…” (I Peter 3:3,5)

82. “But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up. Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God.” (II Peter 3:10-12)

83. “The darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining.” (I Jn. 2:8)

84. “The world is passing away, and its desires.” (I Jn. 2:17)

85. “It is the last hour.” (I Jn. 2:18)

86. “Even now many antichrists have arisen; from this we know that it is the last hour.” (I Jn. 2:18; Compare Matt. 24:23-34)

87. “This is that of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world.” (I Jn. 4:3; Compare II Thess. 2:7)

88. “For certain persons have crept in unnoticed, those who were long beforehand marked out for this condemnation. …About these also Enoch …prophesied, saying, 'Behold, the Lord came with many thousands of His holy ones, to execute judgment upon all, and to convict all the ungodly…'” (Jude 1:4,14-15)

89. “But you, beloved, ought to remember the words that were spoken beforehand by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ, that they were saying to you, 'In the last time there shall be mockers, following after their own ungodly lusts.' These are the ones who cause divisions…” (Jude 1:17-19)

90. “…to show to His bond-servants, the things which must shortly take place.” (Rev. 1:1)

91. “The time is near.” (Rev. 1:3)

92. “Nevertheless what you have, hold fast until I come.” (Rev. 2:25)

93. “I also will keep you from the hour of testing which is about to come upon the whole world.” (Rev. 3:10)

94. “I am coming quickly.” (Rev. 3:11)

95. “And she gave birth to a son, a male child, who is about to rule all the nations with a rod of iron.” (Rev. 12:5)

96. "And in her [the Great City Babylon] was found the blood of prophets and of saints and of all who have been slain on the earth." (Rev. 18:24; Compare Matt. 23:35-36; Lk. 11:50-51)

97. “…to show to His bond-servants the things which must shortly take place.” (Rev. 22:6)

98. "Behold, I am coming quickly. " (Rev. 22:7)

99. "Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near." (Rev. 22:10; Compare Dan. 8:26)

100. "Behold, I am coming quickly.” (Rev. 22:12)

101. "Yes, I am coming quickly." (Rev. 22:20)

11. Member
    Well, I'm back. I'm an amillenialist. Hope that's spelled right. Christ will show up and that will be that. No one will miss it. Everyone will be judged. I use future tense because if He returned before/yesturday everyone would know it.

I said, 'divinely inspired' which is a long way from inspired. 2 Pet 1:20, 2 Tim 3:16. All tracts written by men are tainted by sin and therefore unreliable in spiritual matters (Ps 118:8-9). Scripture was written by God--thru His Prophets, Evangelists, Apostles--as carried by the Holy Spirit.

Yeah, I missed or didn't address some of your claims---but your posts are ten miles long and many. Not much for the shotgun approach.

Let's start with the basics. What is your hermaneutical principle? What is your Formal Principle? Can we continue from here? My Formal Principle--Sola Scriptura (Scripture alone). Hermaneutics--Only Scripture can interpret Scripture, that is, Scripture interprets itself. If we cannot agree on these principles further discussion (Eschatology/Last things) is pointless.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 05-14-2018 at 11:08 AM.

12. Member
    Ms, I'm not worried about spelling...........im the worst:)

My post are ten miles long because I try to quote the entire context of a passage and do my best not to cherry pick a verse to fit what I am trying to say. It is easy to throw a single verse around in order to make a claim or too attempt to defend a doctrine by a single verse..............it seems much more reliable to read the context of a verse, passage, a chapter or a complete book of the bible in order to form a reference for what the author might be trying to communicate.

Although Sola Scriptura is a man made principle, along with the other 4 Solas'......................I "think" we are in agreement :)

13. Member
    Sola Scriptura is not a man made principle. Ezk 13:1-3, 1Cor4:6, 2Pet1:20-21,Ps 119:105, Pr 6:23, Jn 8:31-32, 14:15, 17:17, Eph 2:20, 2Jn1:9

Scripture is divinely inspired, it must be infallible and inerrant. (T/F)

14. Member
    I am very familiar with "authority of scripture" "infallability " inspiration ect. I thought i said in my previous post "I think we are in agrrement". I'm not sure what your point is ? A reformer did come up with the 5 solas, that is history, now he did use scripture to form those 5 solas. I have posted 100 or more text from "scripture alone" and have demonstrated "context" each time . I did not add or subtract words to alter what was written in the pages of scripture.

15. Member
    If you will read John 21:20-23. This passage is written in the historical narrative fashion(hermeneutics). It is simply stating what happened as they were walking down the beach and Jesus was about to accend into heaven. Jesus specifically taught He was gonna return in that generation. This disciple was alive when the second appearing occured. . Peter was not , just as scripture states .

16. Member
    "Trinity" is not mentioned in Scripture either. Yet, we're all Trinitartians--I think. The principle(s) for the Trinity are laid down in Scripture, as is Sola Scriptura. The Reformation didn't just pull that principle out of a hat. At the time, it was a return to orthodoxy--the truths as found in Scripture including what it claims about itself. So if I come along and decide to invent in my backyard what I call 'the automobile/car'--its valid? No, I'm a little late. Same with the Reformers--a little late. These principles were 'invented' in Scripture and therefore in eternity. The Reformers just rediscovered them--again. (We keep forgetting) The principles were always there--and will be forever.

"I think we're in agreement" is not the same as "We are in agreement, that is, fellowship." If you believe Christ's second coming has already occurred then we're definitely not in fellowship. Never answered my T/F. Familiarity with a position is not the same as trusting it. "Divinely inspired" is not the same as "inspired". You sound like a wordsmith.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 05-16-2018 at 10:05 AM.

17. Member
    Here's the crux. The basis for any discussion must be common language. If we are not in agreement/fellowship then we define terms/principles differently (some or all). Ok, let's talk about John 21:20-23, you speak German and I'll speak Spanish. Doesn't go very far does it?
    Last edited by msethsmile; 05-16-2018 at 09:43 AM.

18. Member
    ms. thank you for the comments. I think most readers of this thread can see through your replies.

I didn't speak, German, I quoted a "common language " namely scripture, (actually well over a hundred of them) and l let the "plain reading of the text" speak for itself. I do not go through hermeneutical gymnastics to make a point about Theology. I'm not asking you to speak Spanish, I just showed in John 21:20-23 that Jesus plainly stated "that disciple" was to remain alive until Jesus returned. It would take hermeneutical gymnastics to make the text say anything else.

John 21:20-23 20 Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them, the one who also had leaned back against him during the supper and had said, “Lord, who is it that is going to betray you?” 21 When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, “Lord, what about this man?” 22 Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!” 23 So the saying spread abroad among the brothers[a] that this disciple was not to die; yet Jesus did not say to him that he was not to die, but, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you?”

I have watched thru the 6th lesson of the Sprouls series. He is very much quoting scripture in context and making anyone who listens think. Not ready to say I agree with his conclusions but well worth the time to listen.

Luke 9:50 But Jesus said to him, “Do not stop him, for the one who is not against you is for you.”

20. Member
    sd, good evening. I have had a busy day (its 10:37pm CT) !. For those who are "familiar" with Mathew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21 should have a fantastic time listening to the series. Although Sproul and I disagree, his series began my long but satisfying journey to understanding the bible. What an amazing theologian. Wish you the best in your walk with God (Father, Son, Holy Spirit..............for the religious ones reading this).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast