Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking about a Verado, Thoughts?

Guys,

I have a 20 ft Stratos Bassboat in great shape, thinking about repowering, what are the pro's and con's about putting a 200-250 Verado on this, would love to be educated by you guys.

Mr.S

Many things that it does right, power, smooth, power house, great fuel mileage, super quiet, definitely a motor with long running low cost maintenance. I love mine
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

3. Member
    Jeff,

What about weight?

Quote Originally Posted by MrStratos View Post
    Jeff,

What about weight?
    After you do the swap, you're close to 50-60 lbs difference and depending on style of batteries you can narrow that weight down further ( using lithium, gel or AGM type) also jackplate is lost in this sometimes too. 10 lb difference between 6 to 10 inch. Verado has 5 1/2 inch built in setback so a 6 inch is all that's needed, weight is less effective weight closer to transom but still get setback. It's very little extra weight when you get down to it.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC

5. Banned
    You can also buy the lesser priced Verado 225 and have Simon reflash the EUC to 310 horsepower. Driveability is even improved, I understand.

6. Member
    Bamaman,

Because I am not educated in this area, could you elaborate on "You can also buy the lesser priced Verado 225 and have Simon reflash the EUC to 310 horsepower"....

Thanks.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrStratos View Post
    Bamaman,

Because I am not educated in this area, could you elaborate on "You can also buy the lesser priced Verado 225 and have Simon reflash the EUC to 310 horsepower"....

Thanks.
    He's talking about having the PCM (Computer) Modified. This is not something you want to be doing (especially not on a new engine that is within warranty).

It's technically illegal to modify the HP or Emissions footprint of these EPA rated engines, and you would also want to carefully read the Warranty EXCLUSIONS section of the engine owner's manual (specifically as relates to "modification of the product").

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    He's talking about having the PCM (Computer) Modified. This is not something you want to be doing (especially not on a new engine that is within warranty).

It's technically illegal to modify the HP or Emissions footprint of these EPA rated engines, and you would also want to carefully read the Warranty EXCLUSIONS section of the engine owner's manual (specifically as relates to "modification of the product").
    I am not sure this is correct once you buy a product you can do with as you please, that is not illegal. I do not think a 200 rated motor that you sent off the ECU unit to get crank up to 300 HP is going to have different emissions then a motor you buy at 300 HP. The emissions of a 300 HP is the same has another motor putting out 300 HP from same brand and HP. I think motors Rated by HP not EPA. I do agree the manufacturer may cut your warranty out because they didn't get to make the money [which is all we are really talking about here] because they update the motors about the same way anyway. The motors are usually the same block and parts they just change computing setting the same way to get extra HP. just my .02

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Keep in mind- an engine must meet it's outputs as it was manufactured. A 200hp Verado, for instance, is never held to or allowed the same standards as a 300hp Verado (it's EPA Family Ratings were for a 200hp model at manufacture).

One place you can look: https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/air-enforcement#engines

Specifically:

Quote Originally Posted by www.epa.gov
    (CAA = Clean Air Act)

• Defeat devices. It is a violation of the CAA to manufacture, sell, or install a part for a motor vehicle that bypasses, defeats, or renders inoperative any emission control device. For example, computer software that alters diesel fuel injection timing is a defeat device. Defeat devices, which are often sold to enhance engine performance, work by disabling a vehicle's emission controls, causing air pollution. As a result of EPA enforcement, some of the largest manufacturers of defeat devices have agreed to pay penalties and stop the sale of defeat devices.

• Tampering. The CAA prohibits anyone from tampering with an emission control device on a motor vehicle by removing it or making it inoperable prior to or after the sale or delivery to the buyer. A vehicle's emission control system is designed to limit emissions of harmful pollutants from vehicles or engines. EPA works with manufacturers to ensure that they design their components with tamper-proofing, addresses trade groups to educate mechanics about the importance of maintaining the emission control systems, and prosecutes cases where significant or imminent harm is occurring.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    I was out with a saltwater guide who had a pair of Verado 300's on the back of a 28ft Mako. He said he had over 1500 hours on them and loved them after switching from Yamaha. They were really quiet and we were able to hold a conversation running pretty wide open. His only complaint was that he said the maintenance was much more expensive now.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Keep in mind- an engine must meet it's outputs as it was manufactured. A 200hp Verado, for instance, is never held to or allowed the same standards as a 300hp Verado (it's EPA Family Ratings were for a 200hp model at manufacture).

One place you can look: https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/air-enforcement#engines

Specifically:

[/LIST]
    You do realize NO one has said anything about changing the emission control devices. The computer control on a diesel is different then just adding fuel and air to a outboard. They are not taking any device off or doing anything to the emission. Air and fuel in gets HP out and that 300 is no different. We use to do it with larger cams, now just a computer adjustment. The Sho, Verado, and Pro XS use same block from 200 to 300 and the fuel and air is the only thing that regulates HP difference between them. That is why they can flash the computer and get the extra HP. The great news is maybe Trump will do away with theses regulations and put something in place that will really do something. The miss information out their like this is why he is now going to be the president.

12. Member
    Re-flashing the PCM IS changing the emission controls of the engine, period.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clayshooter100 View Post
    Re-flashing the PCM IS changing the emission controls of the engine, period.

14. Member
    "The Sho, Verado, and Pro XS use same block from 200 to 300 and the fuel and air is the only thing that regulates HP difference between them....posted from Phoenix921. This is completely incorrect ( at least regarding Pro XS ). Do a quick parts look up on Don's site...and you will see that a 200, 225, 250 & 300 Merc has different blocks, heads, pistons, crank, intake and fuel rails. I wish it was just PCM programming...but it's much more complex.
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by don delaney View Post
    "The Sho, Verado, and Pro XS use same block from 200 to 300 and the fuel and air is the only thing that regulates HP difference between them....posted from Phoenix921. This is completely incorrect ( at least regarding Pro XS ). Do a quick parts look up on Don's site...and you will see that a 200, 225, 250 & 300 Merc has different blocks, heads, pistons, crank, intake and fuel rails. I wish it was just PCM programming...but it's much more complex.

Especially more complex in the Optimax lineup (there are significant INTERNAL differences). Can't even apply that blanket statement to the Verado lineup... since there are different displacement 200's out there, and many of the 300's used a different gear ratio.

I have looked at going from a 250 XS to a Verado as well - is my understand that we would have to replace the steering correct? From hydraulic to electric/hydraulic or something like that.. What about controls - do they change as well?
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

Controls, steering but worth it
    JEFF MURRAY USMC

18. Member
    I purchased a Nitro Z20 last fall with a 250 Verado pro. I had an XS 250 before that on a Z-8. I love my Vrod. It is SOOOO quite and smooth. Tons of torque. I will disagree about fuel efficient. If you run wide open much it's going to suck allot of fuel. I felt my XS was much more efficient. But that said I still love the motor. I feel it's just as fast and the hole shot is fantastic. I don't think you'd be disappointed. But it will cost you more than an XS.

19. Member
    Yes you will have to change throttle shifter, hot foot, and steering. The Verado has all electronic controls and steering. The steering is a little different than hydraulic. It's a little slower but you get used to it quickly. Hot foot is also electronic. No cables on this thing. Everything is by wire. It also comes with smart gauges only. Part of why it costs more, for all this stuff. But I haven't regretted it yet. Time will tell. I've only got about 35 hours on mine so far.

Tons of advantages in the Vrod. Steering, digital hot foot, selectable throttle control, no oil to buy or worry about running low on. Motor is literally silent at idle as well.

My mpgs are close enough to my previous XS...23/24gph @ WOT on the XS...26/27 @ WOT on the Verado. I save some fuel at cruising speeds though, getting about 10gph 45-50mph depending on conditions. Obviously hull efficiency will play into all of that and of course your setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast