Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Top Speed For a Fully Loaded Boat

We've all seen the guys posting about running 110 or whatever in a bassboat. I've seen bigger numbers than that put up and it is impressive. But to me the most impressive thing about our boats is our ability to run big numbers as compared to the other boats, in less than great water and with a full load. I'd like to see what ya'll have done in your boats. I'll tell you my best absolutely loaded winter and summer runs...let's see yours:

Winter-Bassport Pro Elite. 300 Racing, 29" Quad IV Hydromotive, 2-8' power poles, full tank of fuel, 50 degrees outside, 60 degree water, 100 lbs of ballast, approximately 100 lbs of tackle and junk.=95.8 mph @6,000 rpm's, 20 psi WP. Water was whitecapping, small caps but less than great water. Summer Run-same setup as winter but with a full livewell, more tackle, no ballast but a 238 pound passenger, 88 degrees outside, 83.8 water, 92 mph@ 5950 rpms, 23 psi WP. Water was rippling with minor wind.

2. Member
    Preach on! That's Allison.
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

Impressive numbers!

I think it’s an Allison thing to give numbers fully loaded. I see very few of us who don’t. Powell will be the king of the hill. That boy can flat out run with a passenger aboard and tourney loaded.

I converted mine to a center steer tonight. Going to see what it will do if I run like Stroker. Lol. Just poking fun at my buds with clam shells. Nothing wrong with running cleaned out. Just most Allison XB numbers I see are with loaded boats.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

4. Member
    I was thinking today about the issue of running a SHO on an XB-21 and the issue of the lower unit blowing out about 85 (or a Merc with a TM lower). It had me thinking about running hard loaded compared to other boats.

1. Very few brands can actually run 85 with a full tournament load, 36V trolling motor, full fuel, water in livewells, power poles, etc. I know a lot claim to be able to but actually doing it is a different story.

2. If the boat was propped to hit the limiter about 85 hard loaded, it would be super quick and still out run the vast majority of tournament rigs.

I've been beyond impressed with how well my boat carries a load and how little the speed seems to be affected up to 85 with additional weight.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

5. Member
    So far I've ran mine fully loaded to about 65mph. Me and my son had allot of snacks in the boat.

6. Member
    I guess being as Stroker was metioned I'll jump in. Stroker/300xs/Sporty with my tournament load, 70 lbs tackle, 30 gals gas, both ped seats,11 rods, no ballast, 180 lbs of battery's, 10 lbs tools, on board charger, off shore trim pump, 10 lb anchor, 10 lbs misc (oil, ropes, weigh bags), 2.5 gal oil, 2 life vests, net and misc cloths. 30p q4xob and 30p uncut performer 3, 93 at 4350 ft elevation solo. I've run this with the 1.75 case and 1.62 case, the rpm's differ but the speed is the same. Not sure what it will run loaded like that at lower elevations. I don't normally stretch it out like that with a passenger.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strokerdean View Post
    I guess being as Stroker was metioned I'll jump in. Stroker/300xs/Sporty with my tournament load, 70 lbs tackle, 30 gals gas, both ped seats,11 rods, no ballast, 180 lbs of battery's, 10 lbs tools, on board charger, off shore trim pump, 10 lb anchor, 10 lbs misc (oil, ropes, weigh bags), 2.5 gal oil, 2 life vests, net and misc cloths. 30p q4xob and 30p uncut performer 3, 93 at 4350 ft elevation solo. I've run this with the 1.75 case and 1.62 case, the rpm's differ but the speed is the same. Not sure what it will run loaded like that at lower elevations. I don't normally stretch it out like that with a passenger.
    That's some great running Dean. You were driving it well to get there no doubt. I know I was driving too. LOL

8. Member
    I run loaded about like Stroker dean. I've run 96 with 2 and a full load, with a 300XS Stroker and an old straight vane 30" Bravo, at 330 elevation. I still haven't strung it out.
    I feel like the 21" Allison is where Stroker was about 10 years ago, where you guys are just starting to unlock the setups and potential. Once everyone learns what works everyone will find a few more MPH.

Gonna be really difficult to make comparisons. One person's TX load isn't the same as another's. Plus, power poles take a bite out of top end and not very may people with Allison's and Stroker's run them. But, none less I am more interested in seeing numbers with a loaded vs a light load number.

10. Member
    I've run my Stroker light as follows: 100 with troller, uncut 32p4. 102 with out troller, uncut 32p4. 103 with out troller using a prop Eli sent me to try. 99.5 without troller, uncut 30p3. 100.2 without troller, 30p q4xob. 99 with troller, 30p q4xob. All of the above the rig was set up for top end while running the 1.62 sporty. I started this quest in Dec 15 and finished up in Feb 16. I found that running with the troller the slip no's went up as well as the rpms. I haven't pushed like this since due to numerous surgeries as well as I exceeded my goal of 100 many times at elevation during that testing. I do feel that I got better at driving above 95 every time I went out, this would equal more seat time at a elevated speed. I also found that the faster I got it seemed to take more skill to get there. Again this is what I have experienced. I agree with John about the Strokers vs Allisons, seemed like the Stroker guys were pushing for speed with the help of some good drivers and set up guys while most of the Alli guys seemed to be ok with how their rigs ran. Tim and Geoff seems to have lit a fuse with the 21 footers and time will tell where everything ends up. I have admired the Allies for years, just about bought a 2 seater back in 07 until Kurt gave me a test ride in the Stroker I eventually bought and had my 300xs hung. Unfortunately for me there isn't another performance bass boat in this part of NM and probably all of NM so I have no one to test and play with, I make a couple of runs and go fish.

11. Member
    Thanks Johnny, it's not as easy as it looks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    That's some great running Dean. You were driving it well to get there no doubt. I know I was driving too. LOL

12. Member
    I said several months ago (myself as a Stroker owner) that the xb21 will likely end up running better than a Stroker when both are heavily loaded and running the same engine. The reaction I got you would have thought I clubbed baby kittens. Anywho, I haven’t spent much time or effort on running hard with a fishing load but the one decent pass I made fully loaded was 89.7. I believe that I can squeeze 90 out of it with a little more work. My engine is a 250xs with 1.75 gears. I’m ready to see the xb21’s reach their full potential.

100.5 with 132lbs of fishing gear (fishingpoles, tackle, jackets, spare prop, charger, tools, etc) and 205lbs of trollerand batteries. Starting battery, oil, and gas (approx185lbs). I run between 20-25 gallons for my passes. Boat takes abetter set with gas in the tank. I have a line marked on my gastank so I can be consistent with my numbers and gas. About 522lbs of stuff in the boat not including jackplate, seats, rigging, etc.

98.6 with 117lbs of fishing gear ( fishingpoles, tackle, jackets, spare prop, tools, etc) and 305lbs of troller,batteries, and Power Poles. Starting battery, oil and gas (approx185lbs). I run between 20-25 gallons for my passes. About607lbs of stuff in the boat not including jackplate, seats, rigging, etc.

I record my noteworthy passes and gear in a spread sheet like below. I weight everything in the boat and have itmarked. The only items I'm missing are the 4 depth finders and the 4 speaker stereo system. I have no ballast in my boat.

I ran 91.3 with a passenger last weekend in 90 degree air on the limiter for that prop. Cool thing was I made zero weight corrections. My buddy at 260ish got in the boat and we ran. Great, stable, load hauling boats.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by River Rocket; 06-06-2018 at 11:09 PM.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

14. Member
    The time I realized how serious guys were taking the speeds of the fast 3 was when I got my first Bassport several years ago and started fishing tournaments out of it down on Pickwick. I was running a full load and 2 men of course, and the 250 ProXS was decently fast, but I was very regularly blowing the doors off a lot of guys who swore they had 90+ boats. My best loaded speed ever in that boat was 87. I never lost a running blastoff race due to the rough water handling of that Ally. The Bullets and others simply couldn’t hang in there. Just having fun I joked with a lot of guys about gunslinging and such but nobody got mad. The point is this; we were all trying to squeeze the last mph out of our boats. It made us better all around. Then the young punks like Powell and Erickson picked up the torch and gave me a break. Ha! Ha! And they have done pretty darn good too.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickwicked Basser View Post
    I said several months ago (myself as a Stroker owner) that the xb21 will likely end up running better than a Stroker when both are heavily loaded and running the same engine. The reaction I got you would have thought I clubbed baby kittens. Anywho, I haven’t spent much time or effort on running hard with a fishing load but the one decent pass I made fully loaded was 89.7. I believe that I can squeeze 90 out of it with a little more work. My engine is a 250xs with 1.75 gears. I’m ready to see the xb21’s reach their full potential.
    Keep us posted so the 250 guys on here can compare notes. I haven't really tried to run top numbers in my boat yet much because I've had my son and his high school partner in the boat most of the trips out this season. But I did run 88 in January with me, my son, full fuel, water in livewells, 12 rods, tackle, drinks in cooler, etc. This was with some trim and jackplate height left to go. I've also ran 84 with three people and same load plus an additional person's tackle several times in the heat this year. That's what I was talking about when I mentioned the load carrying ability. I have a 250 xs with 1.62 gears running a 27 ... wait for it ... TXP believe it or not.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

16. Member
    I know this is a loaded thread, but does anyone know what the biggest number with a 250/xb21 is so far? Just curious if they will ever hit trips.

17. Member
    Joeally, whats your hole shot like with that txp? I ve been thinking about trying one..also how does the pitch on those compare to other props? I have 1.75 gears so i know itll be a lil different..

Quote Originally Posted by basser38 View Post
    Joeally, whats your hole shot like with that txp? I ve been thinking about trying one..also how does the pitch on those compare to other props? I have 1.75 gears so i know itll be a lil different..
    I have ran a couple TXP OT4 props and they run pretty well. Lots of lift and work well for me loaded. I ran a 28 to the limiter last summer with 1.75 gears to 90.3. Those props seem to run a little stiff in pitch compared to most props. They are a 14 3/8 diameter so on topend they seem a little less "locked in" compared to P4's and Promax props that I have ran.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Quote Originally Posted by JCSmile View Post
    I know this is a loaded thread, but does anyone know what the biggest number with a 250/xb21 is so far? Just curious if they will ever hit trips.
    My 2+2 loaded very similarly to River Rockets ProSport has ran 96 with a stock 250/1.75 combo and that was with 25 gallons of fuel and 70 degree temps. There are a couple others that have similar numbers as well. I believe 1 ProSport ran 98 with a 250 several years ago but I do not have any particulars on load or setup on that boat.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

20. Member
    My Allison XB21/300xs loaded to fish with full tank of gas and rods on the deck has been 95 with 29 Hydro. running solo. Clark ran my boat the first time he drove it to 95.5 with his 30 promax. It normally runs 92-93 with two people, fish load and water in the live well in good water. I think me and Johnny Maxwell ran it up to 91 or 92 with all our tackle, gas and junk running from Tim Powell slow azz boat. LOL As of now, I fish with my 28 promax because one of my best BUDDIES has my hydro and won't give it back. The promax does really well and will carry the boat around 90-92 with whatever and whoever you want to put in it. Love me some Allison. Will say the only draw back of owning an Allison is that it limits my fishing time because I love to drive it. lol See Ya, Woody

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast