Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Male is on the charger side. Cover protected female that rest inside the service well on the battery side. Done that way for safety reasons.
    Rgr that....looked opposite to me...my bad.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

Excellent idea! Please post a link over on the Clever Tips board - sure others will want to try this too.
    I'm going to look closely at doing this... but would need the charger to be "portable", since I make trips to the cabin with the boat. So might mount the charger on a composite board with a carry handle on it, and a place to wrap both plug-in and charge leads.

Can you post a pic of your wire splices if you get the chance?

3. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Nice post; I am going to stick this. OP, hope that is ok.....................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

4. mikesxpress
    Normal butt splices for 14 AWG wire then I placed shrink tubing on it.

5. Member
    Good work! But did you do it for space or to get weight out of the boat?

6. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by jt c View Post
    Good work! But did you do it for space or to get weight out of the boat?
    Those were both wins for removing it from the boat as was placing the expensive charger in less abusive environment. Biggest thing was it made more sense to have it on the wall than hauling it around.

7. mikesxpress
    20 foot of 14/8 SO cable and the M&F plug.
    $125.00 shipped via PayPal. Contact John to order "4 bank wall charger kit"
    http://www.jsc-products.com

3 bank kit would be good also
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

9. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Ask John.

10. Member
    Sorry if this is a silly question but I want to make sure... I really want to do this as well.

You get the 14 GA wire... Are you using that for the charger now on the wall going to the male plug you plug into the boat? I guess you are just cutting the existing leads from the charger so you have two sections? Leaving one to go from the battery to the new female plug?

Would love a more high level step by step for those of us less mechanically inclined.

11. mikesxpress
    Not a silly question.
    Yes to all.
    I cut the existing cable containing the leads going to the batteries off 8" from the charger itself marking the position of the cable prior so I could trace each individual lead as to what battery (1,2,3,4) and mark each wire on each side of the cut. Battery 1 is always my cranking battery.

12. Member
    I did something similar in my boat. Took my charger out to make room for my Power Pole pumps. I put 2 wire plugs on each lead of my charger, and also my batteries. Connect it when I put it up, and I also put one of the connectors on my pumps. I disconnect the pumps to plug up when I get home, and plug to charger. This way pumps won't drain battery.

13. Member
    Mike - great idea. I removed my on-board charger a couple of years ago. I like how you wired the battery side. My solution was simply to add clips the end of the charger leads. I then simply clip the leads on the batteries and plug the charger in. I look forward to seeing you solution in person and may do the same.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

14. mikesxpress
    Richard get the cable/plug and bring it by.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    Agreed, if available, could probably save some coin. But you could also just utilize 3 of the 4 leads in this one and have the same functionality.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

16. Member
    Quick question. The ps charger puts out 15 amps but 14 gauge wire says for 10 amp. Should step up to 12ga. wire or will 14 not get too hot? Not too smart when it comes to wire

17. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Prcntryboy View Post
    Quick question. The ps charger puts out 15 amps but 14 gauge wire says for 10 amp. Should step up to 12ga. wire or will 14 not get too hot? Not too smart when it comes to wire
    Pro Charging Systems mfg of the unit said 14. That is the same gage they sell for extension leads. I tested my charger output and finished charge status on each of the 4 PM1's prior to the wall mount and after. No difference.

18. Will work for baits. Fish.Team.Rose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Pro Charging Systems mfg of the unit said 14. That is the same gage they sell for extension leads. I tested my charger output and finished charge status on each of the 4 PM1's prior to the wall mount and after. No difference.
    I really like this idea. I have a 4b/36A charger that im hauling around (15lbs) would be nice to take that out as to keep it from the abuse. May have to look in to something like this. Its mounted to my lid. So its easy to get out.... But then ill have 24 screw holes to cover up lol....
    Keith Rose

In search of what was lost.

19. Member
    Great idea. I have the exact same charger. It is just like having a 5th battery in the boat. I think I will do this AND install a carry strap on the charger to lug to tournaments.

20. Member
    Great Idea..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast