Trailer issue backing up

Anyone have any ideas or similar experience?

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=910854

2. Member
    I had this happen on a 01 EZ Loader Triton Trailer. It was the Solenoid and yes it happened back down a hill
    Steven Dendy-Spring Hill, KS
    2017 Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250-PRO XS
    Past Rides

​07 Triton - TR-196 200-Opti
    01 Triton - TR-21 225 HO Johnson
    93 Javelin 379T 91 Rude Intruder

83 Tidecraft - Wildfire F/S 150 Black Max

3. Member
    feel and/or look under the coupler to feel the plunger, then push up on it. if the brake cable has been pulled the break-a-way brakes could be applied. been there, done that, once. if you pull the cable too much, or step on the cable while stepping over the tongue, then it'll trip the break-a-way.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

4. Member
    And if it could be the solenoid, then check the wire connectors to be sure they are tight, and not corroded.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

5. idbefishing
    If you use the swing away tongue often, there could be an intermittent short in the wire in the bundle that goes to the plug. Mine did the same thing and had to used the little lock out pin to be able to back up.

6. Member
    In the meantime you can fit a nickel or I used a socket the right diameter to hold off brakes.
    Just placed in the slot up front.
    My problem was a broke wire that is controlled when put in reverse(yellow I think).
    Good luck.

7. Member
    Thanks guys. I've had the boat out on 3 trips since and no issues. I did notice that both of my trailer rear wheels are getting much warmer than the wheel in front of it. Not hot to the touch but warm no doubt. They are both consistently dirtier as well collecting brake dust. Anyone else experience the same? The boat is barely 1 year old and I'm thinking about changing out the brakes to something better to help with this issue. Pretty annoying to have to clean that rear wheel so much and maybe something is running tight on them in the brake system.

I did have one thing happened that I think was my root cause of the backing up issue. The other night when my buddy was baking in, my round plug wasn't seated all the way and I noticed my trailer lights were off. I think this may have been happening the other day and I just didn't catch it. I'm hoping that anyway.

8. Member
    I’m pretty sure you only have brakes on one wheel on each side of the trailer. Therefore that’s why those wheels are dirtier from the brake dust. The other have no brake dust bc they don’t have brakes. I have the same thing with mine. 2018 921 pro xp

9. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Brake dust normal for me too

Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    For sure, one brake on one wheel on each side. I just don't like the fact of dealing with it cleaning it. Haha. I wonder if upgraded brakes or anything might take care of it? Has anyone experimented or replaced their brakes? It's not good that a 30 minute trip to the lake makes one wheel on each side dirty. That stuff is hard to get off too it seems if it sites for long periods of time.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    Brake dust normal for me too

You do know that is not brake dust..... It is the oil weeping from the Vault hub. That is an acceptable level of weeping but if it gets any worse contact Vault. The fix is easy.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

12. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GBhoss View Post
    You do know that is not brake dust..... It is the oil weeping from the Vault hub. That is an acceptable level of weeping but if it gets any worse contact Vault. The fix is easy.
    Yes I know, But but that is brake dust sticking to it, and maybe some road dirt. I already had to re-lube that one. It was getting too hot.