Thread: Wacky rig hook

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    You guys using the vmc neko hooks with the mono weed guards must not be fishing around heavy cover... I fished with a guy the other day and he hung up constantly with that hook whereas I only hung up two times all day with the owner weedless wacky hook listed above
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    ^^^EXACTLY THIS^^^

This hook bar none. Used to use a modified Gamakatsu Wicked Weedless Wacky hook for 6" Senkos, and the weedless split shot/dropshot hook (1/0) for 5" Senkos and below, but the 1/0 G-Finesse Weedless Stinger Hook replaces them all. You won't miss a bass with these.
    ciao,
    Marc

3. Banned
    call me crazy, but I stand by it. Gama G finesse drop shot hook #1, neko/ wacky rig.

Almost never lose fish, been using it for a few years.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnw91 View Post
    You guys using the vmc neko hooks with the mono weed guards must not be fishing around heavy cover... I fished with a guy the other day and he hung up constantly with that hook whereas I only hung up two times all day with the owner weedless wacky hook listed above
    I fish around wooden and steel docs with mine primarily. I agree it is sticky, but made the decision that it was worth breaking off or retrieving a few more than constantly losing fish. After seeing some of these suggestions though, I am thinking about trying some others.

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    not using the weedless

6. Member
    the circle hooks are a joke IMO. I have been throwing a wacky rig long before they made hooks for this purpose. Straight shank worm hook or an wide gap hook will work wonders.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    the circle hooks are a joke IMO. I have been throwing a wacky rig long before they made hooks for this purpose. Straight shank worm hook or an wide gap hook will work wonders.
    I totally disagree with that premise. If you like gut hooking fish stick with a straight shank, I do quite well with circular hooks, Gamakatsu to be exact.

8. Member
    I use the vmc neko hook, but I agree with you. That mono weedguard does nothing. What I do is buy the ones without the weedguard. I then use some strands of jig weedguard, and hand tie them on the hook. I tie some with different Amounts of strands for various covers. That hook just buries in their head everytime.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    2nd this. 1/0 or 2/0 for wacky. I use it for dropshot too and never lose a fish on it.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

I have used the 1/0 Owner weedless wacky for years, (camo green one), usually has them hooked in top of the mouth. I am going to give that Stinger a shot.
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

11. Member
    This is the best I’ve found so far.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gama...age-GSWWN.html

They’re spendy, but I rarely get hung up, and they last a long time. Come through grass and wood with no problem.

Other weed guards either get hung up, or twist every other fish, and I end up having to retie pretty often.

I don’t set the hook like other plastics. More of a sweeping hook set. All you’re trying to do is get that thing to turn and hook them in the corner of the mouth. If you slam them, i think the chances are better it just gets yanked out of their mouth.

12. Member

Put me in the VMC neko hook column. Had trouble keeping fished pinned with various other wacky style hooks until I switched to the VMC's. I'm also a firm believer in using the silicone sleeves vs o-rings for weightless rigging.
    USMC Vet!

14. Member
    Thats interesting. I use the VMC and the Gammy hook Ehrler talks about in the video, don’t really have a big issue with either hanging up. That’s fishing at Santee and the Cooper River, fishing vegetation, logs, stumps, cypress trees, docks, etc.

I’ll get hung up occasionally, but that’s part of the game. Even a T rig will get hung up if you throw it in the right place.

I buy either of those two hooks, depending on what’s in stock locally if I need a pack or two, and have the same success with both. The VMC might hang up a bit more than the Gammy, but the issue I’ve had with the Gammy is occasionally after hooking a fish I find one of the titanium weedguards is missing.

15. Scraps
    I'm with the Neko crowd for wacky and Neko rigs. Thinking the 3/0 is way bigger than is necessary.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    My B10 stinger hook is positioned like this, but how I do it is to use "two" O rings, and criss cross them, and just thread hook in between the "X" on the criss crossed o rings. Puts the hook in correct position, and adds durability to worm.

17. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    This hook bar none. Used to use a modified Gamakatsu Wicked Weedless Wacky hook for 6" Senkos, and the weedless split shot/dropshot hook (1/0) for 5" Senkos and below, but the 1/0 G-Finesse Weedless Stinger Hook replaces them all. You won't miss a bass with these.
    Looks a hole lot like the VMC Neko which is a great hook. Now what was that last LBF discount code!?
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123