Daiwa Tatula drag failed

While fishing today the drag on my Daiwa Tatula 100h failed. I’ve been popping chatter bait through sparse grass all spring and thought something didn’t feel right today . When I set the hook on a small LM it completely slipped. I thought it somehow loosened but it’s almost locked down. When I did lock it down at that point I was able to peel line relatively easy.
    When they go suddenly like this is it a washer or something else.I’m going to open it tonight.
    Last edited by jiggerjake; 04-12-2021 at 02:49 PM.

2. Member
    Braid? If it's braid on the spool then it needs some mono as backing or it will slip suddenly and give the feeling you're describing

3. Member
    Quick update. Brought the reel in the house and just got around to playing with it. Drag is now working fine which leads me to believe there was moisture in it from yesterday that has dried. I’ve never had this happen before. Anyone else?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    Quick update. Brought the reel in the house and just got around to playing with it. Drag is now working fine which leads me to believe there was moisture in it from yesterday that has dried. I’ve never had this happen before. Anyone else?
    The drag is no different than most other reels. The only way for it to slip is worn drag washers or lack of tension on the star drag. Moisture shouldn’t have anything to do with it unless it’s saturated with grease.
    Respectfully,
    Captain Rab
    V1CO 1:27 But God has chosen the foolish things of the
    world to put to shame the wise; and God has
    chosen the weak things of the world to put to
    shame the things which are mighty

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by captainrab View Post
    The drag is no different than most other reels. The only way for it to slip is worn drag washers or lack of tension on the star drag. Moisture shouldn’t have anything to do with it unless it’s saturated with grease.
    That's what I figured.It's been wet many times and I never experienced this. Using braid with mono backing. I've been using the reel like this for 2 years and never a problem. It's locked down solid as a rock now so I don't know what's going on.

6. Member
    No reel mechanic here, but I would check to see if the washer(s) have flattened over time and use.

I'm still on the spool shrinking in the cold letting the line slip. Then in the house the spool got back to normal size. Don't lock down the drag on any reel. There is a pair of spring washers that can be flattened out and loose their magic.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I'm still on the spool shrinking in the cold letting the line slip. Then in the house the spool got back to normal size. Don't lock down the drag on any reel. There is a pair of spring washers that can be flattened out and loose their magic.
    That's interesting and defiantly something I'll look closely at. It was chilly (48deg) but not what I would call really cold.I only locked the drag down temporarily just to make sure I wasn't going crazy.I normally keep it to where its about a full turn or so from locked.

9. Member
    I heard somewhere, once finished for the day , the drag on your baitcaster should be loosened to relax the drag washers, i "turn off" my drag after a day of fishing and reset in the morning before first cast

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoCialone View Post
    I heard somewhere, once finished for the day , the drag on your baitcaster should be loosened to relax the drag washers, i "turn off" my drag after a day of fishing and reset in the morning before first cast
    I don't know of many people who do this daily, but at the end of the season or if your not using them in the middle of the summer then it's a good idea
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Member
    I have always loosened reel drags after fishing for the day.
    old habit from 70s

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by capt odie View Post
    I have always loosened reel drags after fishing for the day.
    old habit from 70s
    Same here.

Line on the spool. What you described is mechanically impossible.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    Line on the spool. What you described is mechanically impossible.
    You are correct. I remembered spooling this reel on the fly when I was away fishing back in January.It was warmer weather(FL)so I had no issues until I got back to Pa. Pulling the braid off revealed the culprit. haha.

15. Member
    Same here as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post
    Same here.
    2014 Bass Cat Eyra
    2014 Mercury 250 ProXS