Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

RT188 Trailer problem (Anyone else)

Last night we were loading the boat back on the trailer after fishing several hours on Lake Erie. I drove the boat up on the trailer most of the way, and climbed down to wench it up the rest of the way. I started to crank the boat up and the entire frame with the wench started pulling towards the boat. (see pics) It appears the two welds on the front have broke for some reason. No one was in the boat, no additional weight than normal. Anyone had this problem or heard of this happening? Ended up catching two walleyes for the day. Rough weather has slowed the fish here.

Dropped it off at the dealer today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 Lund Pro V Bass 1875
    Mercury 200 Fourstroke Pro XS
    Hummingbird Helix 12 Console & Bow

2. Member
    That sucks, but the good news is that is should be very easy to replace. My personal opinion is that the winch stand should be welded to the frame on ALL Boat Trailers.

Somebody on here has had the same problem but I can't remember who,.. Maybe Roy will know who it was
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

Call Ranger, send pics, and I would bet that they'll have a new one shipped to you. I would have the new one welded in place.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Yep my cousin had the same thing happen to his. He is on his third winch stand now I think. They really need to weld that stand all the way around that is too much pull on those 2 short welds on each corner with no welding on the sides. Your dealer will swap it out for you no questions asked Im sure. If my cousin ever has another issue with his Im gonna work it over. Sorry to see the issue.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Member
    My neighbor is a welder and could really fix the issue. I can not believe they only put two welds on the front and back. Hope they have it repaired in a short period of time. The weather looks pretty good and I am ready to get back on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfd455 View Post
    My neighbor is a welder and could really fix the issue. I can not believe they only put two welds on the front and back. Hope they have it repaired in a short period of time. The weather looks pretty good and I am ready to get back on the water.
    You and me both. When I seen it in person I just thought it seemed so innadequate considering what it holds. Have it welded all the way around and you will never have to mess with it again.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

8. Member
    Maybe I should check mine.

Only issue I have had with the trailer is I kept blowing out their "high quality" tail lights. Went to LED and fixed that.

Worth keeping an eye on. The non led optronics lights have changed some from the ones I had on my Trailer originally. The seal is different on the Plastic dome over the bulb and socket. They sat around the garage we finally just tossed them but they were 5 years old with the original bulbs in them. The newer lights seem cheaper all around even the plastic case is thinner.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

10. Member
    Biggest thing to avoid this problem is don't ram it up the trailer. Ease it on, then throttle slowly up to the stop.

I've seen many anglers with glass boats, jon boats, etc, floor the throttle as soon as it touches the bunks and the entire rig shakes. Not only is it hard on the trailer but it's hard on the towing rig too. Shakes everything to the core.

They will eventually fix this going forward I'm sure. I've not had a problem with mine yet. It's warranty work. Let them take care of it.
    Ozark Angler
    2014 Ranger RT188

(has left the forum)

This issue is from pulling on the stand not pushing. Its the welds on the front so power loading impact did not cause this. Winching the boat on with alot of pressure is not a practice that is recommended either but sometimes in nasty conditions its needed. The winch atand definitely takes a pounding and has a big job securing the boat to the trailer. Not a good place to skimp.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Member
    Oh winching. Yeah, that's hard on everything. Winch, strap, ring on the keel, the keel, etc.

Why's it gotta be "skimp"....??
    Maybe they just didn't think it was necessary.... not saving corners. They (Ranger) has never been known to cut corners on anything. Not bragging on them or plugging them......this is just their reputation and from who I've talked with, it's not something they would ever consider or want to be accused of.

We all agree it could be welded more but as you said.....winching is not a recommended practice and not normal conditions. It wasn't supposed to be bomb proof. And it looks like a faulty weld to me anyway. Not a "skimp". And a faulty weld is the welders fault. Probably limited training/experience. For all intensive purposes, the weld should be stronger than the original material when done correctly. A weld that shears (pulls apart) is a bad weld. Not a "skimp" in the amount of weld. A full beaded bad weld will shear as much as a short "skimpy" weld from my experience. And I can weld. But I'm not a certified welder either to clarify my opinion and lack of credentials. But experience and a structural enginneer tells me this and how I draw my conclusions. If a 1/8" throat x 1" long weld will hold 1,000lbs of shear load, this should have held also. Close to 2,000lbs if you include friction on the bunks, motor, gear, etc. And that's an extreme load without water floating any of the hull.

Skimp?
    Ozark Angler
    2014 Ranger RT188

(has left the forum)

Simply my opinion Jason. It doesnt match yours and thats fine it doesnt have to. Being one that does alot of fabrication this is not acceptable support or construction and I would never allow something like this. From a calculated standpoint it is probably "acceptable" to only have welds of that size (when done correctly which these are not). BUT, on that same token by the point you are making then 3 of those 1" welds done properly should support the entire weight of the boat package itself so would you want the tongue on your trailer welded to the trailer frame with three 1" long welds or all the way around like it is? I dont see too many supprt structures or trailer car frames you name it with a bunch of 1" long beads all over them. They are fully welded. Every other boat trailer I have looked at has a winch stand welded fully all the way around so IMO this is something that they (RANGER) needs to look into and change. Also its not the fact that its because its a "Ranger" that im pointing this out or saying it. If it were on mine or another brand I would feel the same way about it and if it were on mine I would certainly be fixing it the way I see fit and the right way which is to weld it all the way around. You dont have to agree thats just my take on it.
    After looking closer at the pics on my ipad the right side has been broken for awhile since it has some surface rust on it where the left side looks pretty fresh.
    Last edited by TritonTRXV8; 04-28-2015 at 02:28 AM.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

14. Member
    And there are times at the ramp in certain situations where winching the boat the last few feet up to the bow stop is necessary. I fully agree, when possible I do try to throttle gently up to the bow stop, but I have seen a few times where I did have to winch the boat. I must say after using the new Fulton XLT winch that BTO pointed us to, its a lot better that the standard factory winch.

15. Member
    Power loading is not allowed on Lake St. Clair. There are signs at the docks telling you power loading is not allowed. Either way after one year of use this should not have happened IMO. Finally some nice weather and my boat is sitting in the shop. Hope to hear today of when I can pick it up. Hopefully not two weeks like the dealer said on Monday.

16. Member
    Power loading is not allowed on Lake St. Clair. There are signs at the docks telling you power loading is not allowed. Either way after one year of use this should not have happened IMO. Finally some nice weather and my boat is sitting in the shop. Hope to hear today of when I can pick it up. Hopefully not two weeks like the dealer said on Monday.
    There are a lot of lakes in Michigan that doesn't allow power loading.

Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    And there are times at the ramp in certain situations where winching the boat the last few feet up to the bow stop is necessary. I fully agree, when possible I do try to throttle gently up to the bow stop, but I have seen a few times where I did have to winch the boat. I must say after using the new Fulton XLT winch that BTO pointed us to, its a lot better that the standard factory winch.
    That winch makes a big difference doesnt it.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Did you take it to a shop to get re welded or back to the dealer to get replaced? If your dealer replaces it ask if you can keep the broken one. A fab shop wouldnt charge much or have your buddy weld it up how you want.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

19. Member
    I took it back to the dealer. I am going to try to keep the old one and have it welded all the way across. It would be nice if the new one from Ranger has a bigger area welded.

Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    This issue is from pulling on the stand not pushing. Its the welds on the front so power loading impact did not cause this. Winching the boat on with alot of pressure is not a practice that is recommended either but sometimes in nasty conditions its needed. The winch atand definitely takes a pounding and has a big job securing the boat to the trailer. Not a good place to skimp.

Does not make a lot of difference anyway because it should not have happened even with loading or winching either one. It needs better welds and maybe even a brace. I may put a brace from the winch to the main beam just to be safe...and add a little welding too...
    I don't think I would weld it all the way around though because you need a place for water to escape if it gets in there.

No matter...it should not have happened. I don't care who makes it every manufacturer has a problem once in while if it is made by humans.
    In my opinion except for the crappy lights that I changed to LEDs and guide ons that had to be moved......it is a VERY good trailer and Ranger/Triton trailers are a cut above because of the Vault system. NO GREASING.... You never have to fool with the bearings and for me that is worth a lot. I tow a lot and I HATED the old style grease type bearings. They would have used the old grease bearings and not used the Road Armor coating (STANDARD) if they had been "skimping" --- they just need a better or different weld.
    Last edited by Panama; 04-28-2015 at 01:57 PM.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast