Battery upgrade questions

Needing to make some changes. Not sure which way would work the best. I'm running an older bullet with not a lot of room in the battery areas. I've got one of the big 31 x2 agms for my cranking battery, I've got a lot of electronics on my boat, by my calculations I've got around 15 amp draw with just the electronics. (4 12 in units, 2 gls 10 modules, 1 9 in unit). My trolling motor batteries are 31 lead acid, 3 yrs old. For now they're ok. If I start my engine every 3-4 hours, I'm getting by. Got on a spot yesterday and stayed for 4 hours without cranking up, and blew a fuse on the power to one of the gls10 modules. My voltage is overlayed and I've tried to keep an eye on it, cranking up for a while. I know this isn't the best setup, I need to either go to a big 125ah lithium to use for the starting motor and electronics, or figure out how to get another battery installed just to run the electronics. It'll be hard to make room for that. Would a 125ah lithium work for cranking and electronics? Gotta make some changes soon. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by BigCranks; 05-04-2024 at 06:51 PM.

2. Member
    Hey BigCranks. I purchased an Ionic 125ah Lithium 2 years ago to start my outboard, 3 electronic units including Mega 360, livewells etc. and have never drained it below 50%. Call Andy at Drewcraft. Great guy to work with and can answer any questions you may have

3. Member
    Sounds like a plan. Thanks

My boat has four HDS 12's, two NMEA networks, AT 2, a turret and pumps running off the starting battery, a 90hp Yamaha. I had a group 31 lead acid battery on it and after four hours fishing the voltage would be down to 11.4v, after six hours the ob would crank slow and the depth finders would go off when I hit the key to crank. I replaced the lead acid battery with a 105ah All Purpose from Impulse Lithium. I fished five hours Monday and still had 72% charge left, after eight hours it was 42% and 13.1v.

I only crappie fish and as a general rule the ob isn't started much during the day. The battery and charger were expensive, but well worth it IMO.

BTW, Impulse Lithium is a sponsor here and offers members a discount on their batteries.

5. Member
    If you have a 15 amp draw from just your electronics, you may want to look at a bigger battery. 15 amps x 8hrs=120ah. This doesn't factor in any livewell pumps,lights, bilge pumps etc. It also doesn't factor in any charging from your outboard, which could help. I always try to think worse case scenario and oversize my battery a little. The bigger AH cranking batteries are not much more expensive or bigger in size.

6. Member
    Biggest lithium I have found with warranty are 125ah. The x2 lead acid I have now is 1370 mca, 1150 cca. It does the job but it's probably too much on it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCranks View Post
    Biggest lithium I have found with warranty are 125ah. The x2 lead acid I have now is 1370 mca, 1150 cca. It does the job but it's probably too much on it.
    There are some bigger with warranty. Check Drewcraft, Impulse lithium, Monster marine, Millertech. They all have them

8. Member

9. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Happy to fix you up with a 125ah and it will outperform the X2 but
    if you are looking for bigger
    we also carry the Millertech 135ah 1500ca and 190ah 1500ca 10 year warranty
    and the Monster Marine 120ah 1300ca and 170ah 1500ca with 15 year warranty

call us we can discuss the options that might work best for your setup

BBC pricing available
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

10. Member
    I've got the same situation no more room for batteries. I'm running 2 garmins, panoptics, all pumps, power poles off my starting battery was thinking of going with the icon 125ah.
    Dave
    2023 Ranger Z518/ Mercury 200 Pro XS

11. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davethebuilder View Post
    I've got the same situation no more room for batteries. I'm running 2 garmins, panoptics, all pumps, power poles off my starting battery was thinking of going with the icon 125ah.
    120ah or 125ah will handle that just fine
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

12. Member
    With that much draw from my electronics, with pumps, light, and so on, a 125 ah will carry this for a 10-12 day? Seems like a stretch. If I change my trolling motor batteries to lithium I could probably get a battery in just for electronics.

13. Member
    With that much draw from my electronics, with pumps, light, and so on, a 125 ah will carry this for a 10-12 day? Seems like a stretch. If I change my trolling motor batteries to lithium I could probably get a battery in just for electronics.
    If your x2 is doing it now, the lithium will have no problem with it. As long as it is fully charged after each trip. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Andy is a straight up guy, I refer all my customer to him for battery's and chargers, Support before and after the sale is very important and he does this very well.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

When you call vendors, make sure they explain the warranty to you. It's the reason I purchased Impulse.

16. Member
    Couldn't agree more...I've done that and found ionic is only 5 yrs with pro rated replacement after that.

Not sure of your cranking needs, But I'm running this 135AH AGM with 265 min RC... Works great for me... https://www.vmaxtanks.com/XTR31-135-...ry-_p_176.html

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html