Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Ultrex TM foot control does ot fit in Nitro Z-9 foot well.

Just got a new Ultrex TM. Love it, but the foot control is an 1" to wide. Before I start tearing stuff out any ideas. My primary concern is it does not look like the aftermarket units will work because the front control panel fits down into the recess already. Any input is welcome.
    Last edited by husker@truman; 12-17-2016 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Spelling

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by husker@truman View Post
    Just got a new Ultrex TM. Love it, but the foot control is an 1" to wide. Before I start tearing stuff out any ideas. My primary concern is it does not look like the aftermarket units will work because the front control panel fits down into the recess already. Any input is welcome.
    This really concerns me. I ordered the Ultrex for my Z20. BPS is going to pull the Fortrex that comes standard with the pro package and replace with the new Ultrex. They didn't mention any installation issues to me when I ordered the boat.

3. Member
    What TM came with the Z9? Ordered my 2014 Z8 boat originally with the fortrex and changing to the ultrex. According to dimensions for Ultrex, it is almost identical to fortrex foot pedal. Maybe two different sized trays?

Sad, z8-z9 trays and bow pannels are the same...

5. Member
    It is a 2011 & came with the mg tour 109/36v. If the well was square instead of tapered to the back it would fit.

6. Member
    I also concerned with this for my 901. I wonder if nitro used different sized recess for boats that came with Maxxum/Fortrex and those that came with Motor Guides. My 901 came with a Maxxum that I upgraded to a 112 Fortrex. It looks like I have enough extra width but will be a very tight squeeze, I plan on ordering an Ultrex over the winter.

I'm really concerned about this. This is my '06 Nitro 591. My plan is to replace the Maxxum with a Ultrex and the 798 with a Helix 10 on a Dek-It mount. The Maxxum pedal barely fits in the well. Nitro designed the well for a MG pedal. The first thing I had to do to this boat when I got it home was move the TM plug up to the top side of the panel.

I'm afraid if I have to raise the Ultrex pedal up a couple inches out of the well, there will be no room for the Dek-it mount.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

I was wondering if that Ultrex pedal would fit in the recess of my Z7 also....
    Always "Huntin" the IA Bass!

Boat: Nitro Z7
    Primary Propulsion Unit: 200 Optimax ProXS
    Vertical Depth Propulsion Adjustment: 8" Bobs Action Jack
    Underwater Surveillance: Solix10 G2 Console & Solix10 G1 Bow
    Anchoring: Powerpole, Ultrex Spot Lock
    Dynamic Positioning System: Ultrex i-pilot Link

The dims I saw were 12 1/2 by 9. Just measured my 13 Z9 and it looks like a big maybe. Mine is also tapered and I would need to move it all the way forward. This will only work of the cable doesn't interfere. Now I'm waiting to see a Nitro install...

Jimmy Young

2021 Nitro Z19
    Mercury 200 ProXS
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird HELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    Humminbird
    HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3N
    Humminbird HELIX 12
    CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G4N at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI GPS G3N CHO at bow
    Humminbird MEGA 360
    Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link
    Dual Power Pole Blades

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post

I'm really concerned about this. This is my '06 Nitro 591. My plan is to replace the Maxxum with a Ultrex and the 798 with a Helix 10 on a Dek-It mount. The Maxxum pedal barely fits in the well. Nitro designed the well for a MG pedal. The first thing I had to do to this boat when I got it home was move the TM plug up to the top side of the panel.

I'm afraid if I have to raise the Ultrex pedal up a couple inches out of the well, there will be no room for the Dek-it mount.
    I had to raise my Dek-It mount on my 2006 929 just to clear my MG foot pedal. I am going to assume that you are going to run into the same thing. I used the 22.5 degree with the GPS puck mount. I had to get creative to make it all work.

11. Member
    When i had a 2004 901 I had to grind off the feet of my motorguide pedals to fit the small tray on the boat. Minnkota foot pedal would have never fit that boat

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin 416 View Post
    I had to raise my Dek-It mount on my 2006 929 just to clear my MG foot pedal. I am going to assume that you are going to run into the same thing. I used the 22.5 degree with the GPS puck mount. I had to get creative to make it all work.
    I'm picturing your 929 having the same TM footwell as mine. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of how you raised it up, would you? I have a buddy that does sheet metal work so I might be able to get something custom fabricated.

Wayne P, posted that the dimensions of the base is 9"W X 12½"L . My footwell is only 6¾ " on the aft end. I know for a fact that there is just enough room for a dropshot sinker to get down in there and then be a PIA to get out.

The way I'm picturing the way the Ultrex works, I won't have to spend 99% of my time with my foot on the pedal so maybe having it raised up almost flush with the deck won't be such a problem.

I'm not doing this until the i-pilot link models are out in Jan. or Feb. so, hopefully, there'll be more info and installation pics to use as a guide.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

13. Member
    Yeah it looks like it was the exact same well.
    I used nylon blocks and trimmed them down to be the same size as the feet on the Dek-It....I think they were 2 or 2.5" tall. I don't have the boat anymore so I can't measure them. You need to have long arms and patience to pull this off. Those bolts were at the very end of my reach. I painted the nylon blocks after I had fitted them and drilled the holes in them. This setup was rock solid...I loved it.

Last edited by Flippin 416; 12-19-2016 at 01:42 PM.

Yeah, I see what you did...I like it. I was thinking along the lines of having a much taller mount fabricated but your idea works without having to design one and all that.

Thanks for the pictures...very helpful.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    When i had a 2004 901 I had to grind off the feet of my motorguide pedals to fit the small tray on the boat. Minnkota foot pedal would have never fit that boat
    They must have changed it in later models, mines an 08. Mine fits my Fortrex pedal with a little bit to spare but unsure if it's going to fit the Ultrex. I hate to have to cut it out and install an aftermarket recess if it does not.

16. Member
    Not a problem...happy to help.
    The recess on my 929 left a little to be desired in my opinion. It wasn't very deep or wide. The MG TM pedal had the ear trimmed off of it to make it fit. I was on the fence more than once about replacing mine with an aftermarket well.

17. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    The Ultrex foot pedal is larger diameter in the front than the back. 9" widest in the front and around 8 1\2" near the back. My foot well in my boat is tapered smaller as it gets closer to the bottom so I built a false floor out of a 1\2" cutting board (same as starboard) so I could raixe the pedal in the well and forward abot 3". It's going to have to do for now.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Wow, Let me first say, I love MinnKota and think they manufacture the best trolling motors on the market. But I am surprised that they would not consider existing recessed tray sizes. But it looks like they had to go with the wider base to accommodate the spot lock and constant on features.. Can't think of a better spot for those, except to narrow the pedal itself and move them in a bit. Interesting how this will turn out...
    Last edited by KCLOST; 12-20-2016 at 09:19 AM.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Quote Originally Posted by KCLOST View Post
    Wow, Let me first say, I love MinnKota and think they manufacture the best trolling motors on the market. But I am surprised that they would not consider existing recessed tray sizes. But it looks like they had to go with the wider base to accommodate the spot lock and constant on features.. Can't think of a better spot for those, except to narrow the pedal itself and move them in a bit. Interesting how this will turn out...
    It does seem like a design/engineering FUBAR.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

MK should sell a recess for 10$ that is magical in conjunction with this specific foot pedal. 10$ to the ones who need it and no extra to ones that don't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast